Testing Window/Car Seals?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Is there a way to test where possible wind noise is coming from? I'm taking my car in for service next and would really like them to see if maybe my door/window seal, pano seal, windshield seal, or side mirror seal is faulty as I just get way, way more wind noise than my 2021 Premium (both before and after it had the recalls done).

I've already had the dealer add the TSB weather strip in the gap between the windshield and pano roof, but I had already thought wind wasn't really coming in from there.

My passenger door on the driver's side has a way bigger gap than the passenger side doors. Along with my hatch also having a larger gap on one side than the other. I'm talking noticeable as heck. I asked the dealer about it last time and he said adjusting doors is always tough as then the other gaps get funky, etc. I told him I was purely concerned about wind noise and he said the seals are still making contact and that won't have an effect, but I'd really like some way verify.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Yes, you can do this with an ultrasonic emitter and receiver. It will find any door or window seal gaps. Place the emitter inside the vehicle, close the doors, and scan the seals outside with the receiver. You will hear the noise much louder by a gap. Ultrasonic equipment is expensive however.

You could also use a speaker playing the highest note you can hear, place inside the car and use a tiny condenser mic connected to headphones to scan the seals.

OP
OP
Neil4Real

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Yes, you can do this with an ultrasonic emitter and receiver. It will find any door or window seal gaps. Place the emitter inside the vehicle, close the doors, and scan the seals outside with the receiver. You will hear the noise much louder by a gap. Ultrasonic equipment is expensive however.

You could also use a speaker playing the highest note you can hear, place inside the car and use a tiny condenser mic connected to headphones to scan the seals.
Whoa, that’s cool! Do dealers carry this if I asked them to do it… ?