ZombieJester

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Premium extended
Country flag
The OTA spigot has yet to be turned back on. There are folks in the EAP program that are well behind your far as well.
In EAP here and my car is stuck at trying to install 6.8 with a weird error code in the OTA logs that is stopping it from installing. OTA Team/Engineers have been "investigating it" for weeks. Thankful at least my car can drive/charge though.
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
In EAP here and my car is stuck at trying to install 6.8 with a weird error code in the OTA logs that is stopping it from installing. OTA Team/Engineers have been "investigating it" for weeks. Thankful at least my car can drive/charge though.
Failed due to an unspecified VICM/API error. At the time the update failed, the OTA trigger made it passed the file verification stage and downloaded the two files needed for the update, so I think the API error can be ruled out. The vehicle failed to go into inhibited mode several times before the update failed, so it is either a failure of the VICM to do it's job, or it is your battery as you car is reporting very low battery capacity in your OTA dashboard. If that is the case, then the VICM is doing its job by not allowing you car to go into inhibited mode. 6.8.0 failed three times in December for the same reason.

AtomicInternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS, Mach E Premium
Country flag
I feel like complaining here about no updates since 6.7 more than 2 months ago is the best way to get them flowing again. Holidays are over, throw some at me.

BTW This is for the update gods, everyone else can ignore me.

ZombieJester

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Failed due to an unspecified VICM/API error. At the time the update failed, the OTA trigger made it passed the file verification stage and downloaded the two files needed for the update, so I think the API error can be ruled out. The vehicle failed to go into inhibited mode several times before the update failed, so it is either a failure of the VICM to do it's job, or it is your battery as you car is reporting very low battery capacity in your OTA dashboard. If that is the case, then the VICM is doing its job by not allowing you car to go into inhibited mode. 6.8.0 failed three times in December for the same reason.

Well at least I have this forum because the folks I am dealing with at Ford don't seem to have a clue what is going on. As I said before, I would be really irritated if it was the 12v again as this 12v is only about 4 months old. The 12v the car shipped with failed after 6 months of ownership and I had it replaced.

Thanks again for all your info. I have provided all of it to the folks I am working with.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I would be really irritated if it was the 12v again as this 12v is only about 4 months old. The 12v the car shipped with failed after 6 months of ownership and I had it replaced.
There doesn’t seem to be either rhyme or reason behind the 12v battery issues, I’m closing in in 3 years with the same LVB. I wouldn’t be surprised if a future update in the works dealt with 12v battery management. No insider info or a rumor in that statement, just a thought.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
Well at least I have this forum because the folks I am dealing with at Ford don't seem to have a clue what is going on. As I said before, I would be really irritated if it was the 12v again as this 12v is only about 4 months old. The 12v the car shipped with failed after 6 months of ownership and I had it replaced.

Thanks again for all your info. I have provided all of it to the folks I am working with.
They can see everything I can see. The people that answer the phone at Ford's OTA hotline are not trained to interpret the info they can access. With that said: Nether am I, so take it for what its worth.

The last time the OTA tried to install before it failed, this is what your car reported to Ford in terms of the state of your battery:

"groupId":"1""totalLvBatteryCapacity":"33""currentLvBatterySoc":"87""currentHvBatterySoc":"56""currentHvBatteryEnergy":"99350""availableLvBatteryCapacity":"28710"

I can tell you that the capacity at 33 is a clear red flag. I can also tell you that when an OTA fails due to low battery SoC/capacity, it will clearly say that is the reason why it failed and that is not the case with your car. Based on the vague information provided in the error code and based on the pattern I saw of what the OTA trigger was trying to do and what it is supposed to do, it failed to go into inhibit mode and that is why the OTA failed. Why it failed to go into inhibit mode? I have no idea.

ZombieJester

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They can see everything I can see. The people that answer the phone at Ford's OTA hotline are not trained to interpret the info they can access. With that said: Nether am I, so take it for what its worth.

The last time the OTA tried to install before it failed, this is what your car reported to Ford in terms of the state of your battery:

"groupId":"1""totalLvBatteryCapacity":"33""currentLvBatterySoc":"87""currentHvBatterySoc":"56""currentHvBatteryEnergy":"99350""availableLvBatteryCapacity":"28710"

I can tell you that the capacity at 33 is a clear red flag. I can also tell you that when an OTA fails due to low battery SoC/capacity, it will clearly say that is the reason why it failed and that is not the case with your car. Based on the vague information provided in the error code and based on the pattern I saw of what the OTA trigger was trying to do and what it is supposed to do, it failed to go into inhibit mode and that is why the OTA failed. Why it failed to go into inhibit mode? I have no idea.

Just to clarify, I have not contacted the call center once. I am working through EAP escalation to Ford OTA/Engineers.

Yeah, that's concerning. What's funny is after the first time it failed in December it then went right to installing successfully the PU which I assume has different parameters I am sure. Thanks again for all the info you have provided me. Just hoping to get an answer soon. No problem if I need to take it in, it has to go in anyways for a blown center speaker and I am going to try for the 4th time to get the dealer to update my modules.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

My last OTA installed with a LVB capacity of 25 (it's "cold" here).

"groupId":"1""totalLvBatteryCapacity":"25""currentLvBatterySoc":"79""currentHvBatterySoc":"73""currentHvBatteryEnergy":"99350""availableLvBatteryCapacity":"19750"

I thougth the original LVB capacity was 35 amp hours so 33 would be really good.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
My last OTA installed with a LVB capacity of 25 (it's "cold" here).

"groupId":"1""totalLvBatteryCapacity":"25""currentLvBatterySoc":"79""currentHvBatterySoc":"73""currentHvBatteryEnergy":"99350""availableLvBatteryCapacity":"19750"

I thougth the original LVB capacity was 35 amp hours so 33 would be really good.
I have never been able to verify what the "capacity" field measures. I believe it is a percentage of total capacity and not necessarily amperage because I have never seen capacity go over 100. I have seen OTA's fail with the capacity being recorded in the 80's and even 90's, and I have seen them go through with what seems like low capacity like in your case. There are other SoC related failures that show a lot more info like battery temp, expected battery drain and other deciding factors that get taken into account before the OTA process allows the update to install.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

33 amp hours is fine on the capacity. New is 35 amp hours. It's not percentage.

You don't need to tell people their battery is bad until it gets down to like 20 Ah. That's when I start to see a lot of problems. Lowest I've seen on somebody's was like 13 Ah - really bad.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I feel like complaining here about no updates since 6.7 more than 2 months ago is the best way to get them flowing again. Holidays are over, throw some at me.

BTW This is for the update gods, everyone else can ignore me.
If it makes you feel better we are still at 6.5 on our 2021 GT.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
33 amp hours is fine on the capacity. New is 35 amp hours. It's not percentage.

You don't need to tell people their battery is bad until it gets down to like 20 Ah. That's when I start to see a lot of problems. Lowest I've seen on somebody's was like 13 Ah - really bad.
Interesting. How is it that I've seen capacity at such a high number? Do you know if the ICE vehicles bring batteries with higher AH than these?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Interesting. How is it that I've seen capacity at such a high number? Do you know if the ICE vehicles bring batteries with higher AH than these?
A bigger car battery might be at 80 amp hours. Mach-E/Lightning battery is half the size of a normal ICE battery.

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, EVs and Hybrids tend to have smaller batteries than ICE vehicles. For example, a Deka 12V 675CCA battery is rated 70AH at 20 Ampere draw.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Country flag
A bigger car battery might be at 80 amp hours. Mach-E/Lightning battery is half the size of a normal ICE battery.
Yes, EVs and Hybrids tend to have smaller batteries than ICE vehicles. For example, a Deka 12V 675CCA battery is rated 70AH at 20 Ampere draw.
Standing by the open hood of my truck now looking up the specs and yea, 70AH on the OEM battery. Lots of owners upgrade to bigger than OEM since the factory batteries tend to struggle which explains why I see such high numbers there. Thanks for checking me. This actually explains a lot that I didn't understand about the OTA battery requirements.
Sponsored