krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Got my front windows tinted to CA legal 70% with 3M today. Looks great and I really notice the difference in this hot weather. While I was there, he showed me a Tesla he tinted - the entire windshield was done at 70% tint. I did not know it was legal to tint the whole windshield? Has anyone done that?
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Got my front windows tinted to CA legal 70% with 3M today. Looks great and I really notice the difference in this hot weather. While I was there, he showed me a Tesla he tinted - the entire windshield was done at 70% tint. I did not know it was legal to tint the whole windshield? Has anyone done that?
It’s illegal to tint your windshield in California other than the 4-inch strip at the top.
Which of course means no one ever violates that rule. ;)

https://www.raynofilm.com/blog/california-tint-laws

OP
OP
krafty81

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
You are right - says just top 4 inches of windshield. The guy was clearly trying to get me to buy something not legal in CA.

medicnj

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge, Ford Mach E Star White
Occupation
EMT
Country flag
It’s illegal to tint your windshield in California other than the 4-inch strip at the top.
Which of course means no one ever violates that rule. ;)

https://www.raynofilm.com/blog/california-tint-laws

Thank you for sharing this link. Interesting there is a blog listing tint rules for every state and it says NJ does not allow for ANY tinting on the front side windows. That being said, I wonder if the stock tinting is illegal technically.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Not in California (thank God), but I put 70 on my windshield and you can't even really tell. Other than it reduces heat.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I've seen many cars with tinted windshield, one is parked on our street. I wonder if the insurance would refuse claims because of the illegal modification.
What? An insurance company refusing a claim? :rolleyes:

kirkus02

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, Explorer, Silverado
Country flag
What kind (level?) of 3M tint did you get?