Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-owners-an-extra-charge-a-year-study-suggests

Tires could be costing EV owners an extra charge a year, study suggests
avatar-image-for-bengt_100544847_s.jpg

BENGT HALVORSON OCTOBER 26, 202

Over the life of an electric vehicle, tires can have a profound effect on electric vehicle range and efficiency.
That’s been given more nuance with a new collaborative study, between Geely Research Institute, Shanglong Linglong Tire Co., and ExxonMobil—and reported earlier this month in SAE International.

Over the life of an electric vehicle, the researchers found, the variation in rolling resistance alone, due to fluctuations in tire pressure, could mean 4% more energy needed, the study highlights. No wonder tire suppliers continue to develop airless tire designs like the Michelin one GM is currently testing for its Chevrolet Bolt EV, and engineers have dabbled with designs that recover energy as they roll or harness heat generated in flexing.

-prototype-airless-tires-from-michelin_100702941_l.jpg
Chevrolet Bolt EV fitted with prototype airless tires from Michelin

The Chinese study assumes an average annual vehicle distance of 12,000 kilometers per year; but expanding this out to the typical U.S. vehicle distance of 12,000 miles per year, it amounts to nearly 58 kwh per car, annually.

For most of today’s full long-range EVs, like the Chevrolet Bolt EV or Nissan Leaf Plus—or the Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus—that’s about a full charge lost not to power electronics or battery technology, but something as simple as a tire swap.

The researchers do point out that the reduction in pressure loss and rolling resistance could allow automakers to use a lighter/cheaper battery.
Extending that estimate out for the entire Chinese market, given cumulative EV sales, simply changing the tire could save 90 gigawatt-hours per year—enough to power 50,000 Chinese households.

t-of-tire-pressure-control--exxonmobil_100766852_l.jpg
Environmental impact of tire pressure control - ExxonMobil

The team found air retention to be an issue, with 48% of the tires examined falling into what was judged to be a “poor” category for that—meaning that there will be significant air loss over time simply from normal use, leading to lower fuel economy or efficiency if pressures aren’t routinely topped off.

Tire-pressure alert systems aren’t the solution either. According to the study, while early tire-pressure monitoring systems were intended mainly to prevent the catastrophic—underinflation by 20%—the latest systems are programmed for a trigger of 2.5%. That might be fine for safety, but it still reflects an efficiency loss.
Although much attention has been paid to tread, compound, and what’s on the outside of the tires going into many EVs, the researchers point out that for maintaining pressure the solution might be addressing what’s inside the tire. With a new material for the inner liner, the tire was able to retain pressure 33% better, based on a calculated six-month period.

checking-tire-pressure--aaa_100445874_m.jpg
Checking tire pressure - AAA

The study notes that based on ExxonMobil road testing, with greater attention to tire pressure loss—and rolling resistance—across the lifetimes of the tire and electric vehicle, EV range could be improved by an astounding 3% to 7%.

That largely confirms the conclusions from a number of smaller, more anecdotal tests—that the range difference from tires alone can often be underestimated.
The findings will help inform decisions about tire specifications for the next generation of EVs from the Geely Auto Group, which includes Geely, Volvo Cars, Polestar, and Lynk & Co.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Typically you'll see people on EV forums such as ours running with their tire pressure a few lbs above the recommended PSI.

I keep the Bolt about 3 psi above recommended--even in winter (and it has a handy display you can pull up any time of the actual tire pressure values). Have to keep checking it, PV=nRT you know: Temperature changes the tires pressure.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Keeping tires at the recommended pressure is always a good thing to do. Works for ICE as well as for electric vehicles.

The bigger issue is how fast tires wear out on BEVs. All that torque takes a toll on the "rubber".

Love the idea of an airless tire.

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I think the airless tire looks kind of cool, but wonder if that does anything to negatively impact airflow and aerodynamics of the vehicle by creating drag. If the different styles of rims impact efficiency I would think a non-solid faced tire would have a similar impact.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I keep the pressure in my Leaf about 5PSI above spec. It makes a noticeable difference in range.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I keep the pressure in my Leaf about 5PSI above spec. It makes a noticeable difference in range.
On the three hybrids I had before the Fusion Energi, I used to run a few PSI over and monitor it fairly closely. On the Energi I've decided I have better things to do; there's an idiot light for a reason.

On the Mach-E, I may or may not care again. I honestly haven't decided. Part of it is that the higher the pressure, the harsher the ride, and your handling is impacted. So I'm not sure if I want to override Ford's experience and decision on what's "right" on this.

But we'll see. I have to have the tires first. ;)

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Keeping tires at the recommended pressure is always a good thing to do. Works for ICE as well as for electric vehicles.

The bigger issue is how fast tires wear out on BEVs. All that torque takes a toll on the "rubber".

Love the idea of an airless tire.
The Low Rolling Resistance tires are made of a very hard rubber compound. As such the tires last a long time (and also you get less traction).

Dudd

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Renault Zoe & Pre-ordered Mach E
Country flag
What LYTMCQ Said :)

EVs are soooo much fun to accelerate in I just figured more money on tyres was a given...

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not gonna worry about one extra home charge per year. But before road trips (where range matters), I'm already in the habit of checking the tire pressure and setting it to the recommended amount (even in our Escapes).

But when I get back home, I tend to let a little out for a softer ride. Being in a winter weather state with lots of freeze/thaw cycles, we don't have the smoothest roads (far from it).

lotharik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, duh?
Country flag
Silly article. Newspapers have been running columns about why you should keep your tires inflated for decades.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I think the airless tire looks kind of cool, but wonder if that does anything to negatively impact airflow and aerodynamics of the vehicle by creating drag. If the different styles of rims impact efficiency I would think a non-solid faced tire would have a similar impact.
It will probably affect drag if you drive over 100 MPH. The body drag is huge compared to the tire drag anyway. So just slow down, get more miles per charge., and don't worry about drag, even with those tires.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It will probably affect drag if you drive over 100 MPH. The body drag is huge compared to the tire drag anyway. So just slow down, get more miles per charge., and don't worry about drag, even with those tires.
Slow down from 100 MPH, no problem. Never gonna drive it over 80 anyway.

Slow down from the speed limit though, yes problem. Not doing that. My $60,000 car better handle interstate speeds just fine getting from state to state.

Rhynri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Fusion Energi (Sold), 2015 Chevy Spark EV, Mach E on Order
Country flag
What LYTMCQ Said :)

EVs are soooo much fun to accelerate in I just figured more money on tyres was a given...
I resemble this remark. Our Spark EV has slightly underinflated soft summers and winters that are wider than stock just so we can kind of keep it hooked up. Doesn't always work, but most of the time. Just brutal on tires though... luckily they are tiny so they don't cost too much.
Sponsored