GTPE P-Zero Tires and New EV Tires on Market

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
My old tires P-Zero at 90% charge were solid at 230 mile range with half tread life (same commute every day), the new tires dropped the range to 220 miles (disappointing) after a week of driving, then slowly returned to around 223 mile range after 5,000 miles of driving (same commute with little variation).
223/230 miles = 97%

Living on Oahu in Hawaii means near zero variation in temperature and winds over 5,000 miles this past summer. Again I was hoping for a >5% boost to range for EV specific tires as compared to 'sticky' P-Zero's.
Was that measured range or GOM shown range?

Based on the tire weight, I believe there would be a difference, I just donā€™t trust the GOM being used as a measuring stick.
Sponsored

steve.panse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT PE
Country flag
I just put the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 255/45R20 on my GT-PE. So far so good. Maybe a little quieter than P-zeros. Steering effort seems slightly lighter in the same drive mode, so Iā€™m wondering if this is a function of reduced friction. Havenā€™t had a chance to play with it yet to test traction. Maybe I gave up a little friction coefficient vs the summer tires, but hopefully got a little back with 10 more mm of width. Glad to have the 45,000 mile warranty, in any case.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just put the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 255/45R20 on my GT-PE. So far so good. Maybe a little quieter than P-zeros. Steering effort seems slightly lighter in the same drive mode, so Iā€™m wondering if this is a function of reduced friction. Havenā€™t had a chance to play with it yet to test traction. Maybe I gave up a little friction coefficient vs the summer tires, but hopefully got a little back with 10 more mm of width. Glad to have the 45,000 mile warranty, in any case.
Steering effort doesn't have much to do with tread friction but more the pattern. However, it has much more to do with the stiffness of the sidewall where the Pirelli's being a summer performance tire definitely have a stiffer sidewall than the All Season Michelin's. That and you went up one size so your sidewall is slightly taller also giving you a lighter steering feel. Not being an EV specific tire, the Michelin's have a slightly higher rolling resistance so you will notice a slight drop in range.

steve.panse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT PE
Country flag
Steering effort doesn't have much to do with tread friction but more the pattern. However, it has much more to do with the stiffness of the sidewall where the Pirelli's being a summer performance tire definitely have a stiffer sidewall than the All Season Michelin's. That and you went up one size so your sidewall is slightly taller also giving you a lighter steering feel. Not being an EV specific tire, the Michelin's have a slightly higher rolling resistance so you will notice a slight drop in range.
All excellent points. And I neglected to thank you for the recommendations in another post, on these tires and going up to 255sā€¦so, thanks.
Sponsored