Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE, 2022 F350, 2017 F150, 2001 F250, 11 DTS
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
Just got my 21 GTPE back from HVBJB repair and figured life was good again until my son-in-law and I were looking at how worn my tires were. Worn, shot would be a better word. I had just had to 100 mph briefly just to see if it's the same old gal, but now I thank the Lord that I'm still here. My tires look like what you'd find on a 40 year old barn find. Cracked in almost every groove with separation starting. I have read that these tires shouldn't be used under 45 degrees which I saw this summer. Since my car arrived in January in Minnesota that means the day it rolled off the transport my tires were starting to go to pot. I have 14500 miles and they are just about to the wear bars, and right now I don't feel safe driving on these. This has got to be a safety issue that needs to be addressed. I don't remember my dealer telling me I need to change tires right away, I can't find anything regarding temperature in the tire book that came with the car. I knew they would be terrible winter tires but with AWD figured I'd get along and I did. Was going to look for a set of wheels to put some A/S tires on because these definitely are not winter tires, now I have to replace them asap. I feel that someone owes me a set of tires, but mainly just want to make sure someone else isn't going to run into this safety issue

20221002_120428 1.jpg
Sponsored

KadeBR

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 RR Explorer ST, 2021 RR GTPE
Occupation
CDL Hazmat
Country flag
Yes were not supposed to use them once it gets colder than 45. But there have been others who have been getting 4-6k less miles before haveing to ha e them replaced.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tim, you mentioned you didn't see anything in the tire book that came with your car but in the Mach-E owners manual on page 305 (as least for my 2021) It does state that summer tires should not be driven in temps under 45˚ otherwise surface cracking may develop. Below is a screen shot of that page.

Also if you go to Pirelli's website they have similar information on their P-Zero tire:

P-Zero UHP Summer Tires:
The special tread compounds formulated for Ultra High Performance (UHP) summer tires are optimized for maximum dry and wet performance in warm temperatures. The compounds in these tires will have decreased performance, such as lateral and braking traction, at temperatures below 45° F (7°C) or when driving on snow or ice. In addition, they can lose flexibility and may develop random surface cracks at very cold temperatures; therefore extra care should be used in handling tires. All Season or winter tires should be installed for use at temperatures below 45° F (7°C), UHP summer tires are not recommended for lower temperature conditions.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Pirelli P zero tires are shot Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 6.07.08 AM

OP
OP

buddy3210

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
Tim, you mentioned you didn't see anything in the tire book that came with your car but in the Mach-E owners manual on page 305 (as least for my 2021) It does state that summer tires should not be driven in temps under 45˚ otherwise surface cracking may develop. Below is a screen shot of that page.

Also if you go to Pirelli's website they have similar information on their P-Zero tire:

P-Zero UHP Summer Tires:
The special tread compounds formulated for Ultra High Performance (UHP) summer tires are optimized for maximum dry and wet performance in warm temperatures. The compounds in these tires will have decreased performance, such as lateral and braking traction, at temperatures below 45° F (7°C) or when driving on snow or ice. In addition, they can lose flexibility and may develop random surface cracks at very cold temperatures; therefore extra care should be used in handling tires. All Season or winter tires should be installed for use at temperatures below 45° F (7°C), UHP summer tires are not recommended for lower temperature conditions.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Pirelli P zero tires are shot Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 6.07.08 AM
I guess I only looked at the tire book in the glove compartment

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I guess I only looked at the tire book in the glove compartment
Tim, the Contis that come stock on the GT will fit your wheels and are all season. The could be your path of least resistance. (Pun only slightly intended.)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Pirelli P zero tires are shot IMG_5768

OP
OP

buddy3210

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
Tim, the Contis that come stock on the GT will fit your wheels and are all season. The could be your path of least resistance. (Pun only slightly intended.)
Ford Mustang Mach-E Pirelli P zero tires are shot IMG_5768
Thanks for the information, obviously these are designed for EVs. Has anyone gotten any mileage out of them, I see 480 treadwear which I think is about a 50k tire.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the information, obviously these are designed for EVs. Has anyone gotten any mileage out of them, I see 480 treadwear which I think is about a 50k tire.
Greg (@SnBGC) got almost 50K miles on the tires on his 2021 FE, but I'm not sure if those were Contis or not.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Greg (@SnBGC) got almost 50K miles on the tires on his 2021 FE, but I'm not sure if those were Contis or not.
The '21 FE tires are Michelin Primacy A/S 225/55R19 103H XL. They have a 55k mile treadwear warranty when purchased separately.
Sponsored