Trust - Update #3 - 12v Battery failure!

OP
OP
JSW

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
The Good, Bad and Ugly

Good news is the dealership was super nice and gave me a Mach-e to drive while they fix mine.

The Bad news is they need to involve field engineering so it might take a while. There were “dozens“ of codes being thrown.

The Ugly news is the Mach-e loaner does not have the same roof wind noise my FE has, so it confirms my roof issue isn’t typical (Kind of knew this already).
Sponsored

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
The Good, Bad and Ugly

Good news is the dealership was super nice and gave me a Mach-e to drive while they fix mine.

The Bad news is they need to involve field engineering so it might take a while. There were “dozens“ of codes being thrown.

The Ugly news is the Mach-e loaner does not have the same roof wind noise my FE has, so it confirms my roof issue isn’t typical (Kind of knew this already).
Very interesting about the wind noise...
Glad they gave you a MME as loaner - hope yours gets fixed soon

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
The Good, Bad and Ugly

I'd be sure to point out the comparison on the wind noise so they can note it and maybe take a look while they already have it with their engineering team.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Kudos to you guys who are having to put up with this 12v mess. If I had to go through all this within the first week of this car, I would have left the car at the dealer and called an attorney and moved on at all costs. No wonder they rushed those two cars back to Mexico. Clearly they know something, and it can't be good. I can't imagine what I'd be thinking if I had to oull the front end of my car apart to jump it because of this. I hope this is one and done for you guys and you can then move on to enjoyment and leave the stress behind. Unfortunately, I don't have it in me. You're better guys than me.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
The Good, Bad and Ugly

Don't worry about the specific codes ... when the 12v battery is low it tends to trip every alert imaginable. Once the 12v battery is charged all those codes go away. Once the software update is applied, the 12v battery will be properly maintained. Mine has been fixed for while now and the 12v battery continues to be happy.

OP
OP
JSW

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Kudos to you guys who are having to put up with this 12v mess. If I had to go through all this within the first week of this car, I would have left the car at the dealer and called an attorney and moved on at all costs......
I was pretty salty yesterday - good thing the dealership was closed. The thing is, the guys at the dealership seemed genuinely interested in helping me, and they gave me an MMe as a loaner. Under these circumstance, it was impossible to be mad at them, so I decided to calm myself down and give them an opportunity to fix it.

If it keeps happening after the “fix,“ I might permanently lose confidence in the car. Assuming the worst just doesn’t seem to be my best option at this point.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I have no doubt that this is an all hands on deck stop the bleeding situation at Ford. The last thing they wanted to have happen at launch. And if anyone is considering the model, a simple search will end up on this forum and the news is all over it here. So I would expect a big and fast response to all this. Time will tell. If handled well, it goes a long way to set an example of the right way to deal with problems like this.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
For the moment (knock on wood) I have had no hint of the 12V problem. Someone suggested setting up a daily schedule for climate precondition (to wake the MME and possibly take car of any 12V charging due), so I did that. Here's to hoping anyway.

I'm sort of mentally prepared to pull things apart in some parking lot away from home, but hoping I never need to.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
For the moment (knock on wood) I have had no hint of the 12V problem. Someone suggested setting up a daily schedule for climate precondition (to wake the MME and possibly take car of any 12V charging due), so I did that. Here's to hoping anyway.

I'm sort of mentally prepared to pull things apart in some parking lot away from home, but hoping I never need to.
In my humble opinion......I think the car needs to be frequently driven right after you take delivery. Those 12v AGM batteries are a little picky with charging strategy and many of them have been primarily dormant for a little while. When I picked up my car the LVB measured about 12.55 volts with vehicle off and 13.42 when turned on. Then the next day it ran about 13.8 volts when on.....the day after that about 14.1 volts when on and now it sits right about 14.4 volts when running. It seems like it takes a little bit to get these back into condition so they can function as designed.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The Good, Bad and Ugly

I have yet to hear any wind noise from the glass roof on any of the MMEs that I have been in. I went hunting for it in my car and it's quiet. Radio and climate control off and 80 mph and I don't hear anything.

If you put tape over it and the noise goes away then that pretty much proves it isn't sealed well enough in my opinion....

OP
OP
JSW

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In a separate thread I made note of how I planned to fix the wind noise with some rubber/foam tubing I bought from Granger. Then the 12 volt battery problem focused me on more urgent matters.

Once the car is properly fixed and mechanically reliable, I’ll refocus on mitigating the wind noise.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
In my humble opinion......I think the car needs to be frequently driven right after you take delivery. Those 12v AGM batteries are a little picky with charging strategy and many of them have been primarily dormant for a little while. When I picked up my car the LVB measured about 12.55 volts with vehicle off and 13.42 when turned on. Then the next day it ran about 13.8 volts when on.....the day after that about 14.1 volts when on and now it sits right about 14.4 volts when running. It seems like it takes a little bit to get these back into condition so they can function as designed.
I drive mine for ~1 hr the day I picked it up and left it garaged for 3 days (plugged into charger). Drove it this morning and no issues with the battery, though didn't check the voltage. The car didn't pull any charge for the past 36-48 hours either. That said, I am in CA...

OP
OP
JSW

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
TIMELINE
Days 1-7
- I was REALLY enjoying the car (except for the wind noise, which is an irritant, not a deal-stopper)
Day 8 - Friday - I FOOLISHLY posted that after 1 week, I was “safe” from the 12volt battery issue visited upon certain early builds. I Jinxed myself.
Day 10 - Sunday - the car died and I had to go through the pains of gaining access to the battery and charging it. (Not fun)
Day 11 - Monday Morning- Took it to the dealership, was treated well, and received another MME to drive while mine is being fixed
Day 12 - Tuesday Afternoon/Today - I received a call late afternoon from the dealership indicating that they believe it’s fixed and I can come get it. They indicated they updated software on “numerous modules.“ I live in Ann Arbor MI, work in Toledo OH, and the dealership is in Redford MI, so I had to tell them I’ll come get it tomorrow.

Although it seemed to stump them at first, they were super committed to quickly fixing it and said they had “already called Dearborn,” even before I arrived with the car, based on my email detailing the problem (including 2 videos of what the car was doing with the low/dying 12 volt).

I have/want to believe they wouldn’t have called me after just 32 hours unless they were confident the fix was complete.

I’ll keep y’all posted.

Last edited:

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
TIMELINE
Day 12 - Tuesday Afternoon/Today - I received a call late afternoon from the dealership indicating that they believe it’s fixed and I can come get it. They indicated they updated software on “numerous modules.“ I live in Ann Arbor MI, work in Toledo OH, and the dealership is in Redford MI, so I had to tell them I’ll come get it tomorrow. ...
I wonder if these are the sort of updates that might later be pushed by OTA? Or, are we stuck in the old model of dealer service reprogramming? (The dealer sounds great, not meant as a slight to them)

OP
OP
JSW

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wonder if these are the sort of updates that might later be pushed by OTA? Or, are we stuck in the old model of dealer service reprogramming? (The dealer sounds great, not meant as a slight to them)
They will email me the information on all the specific modules updated, etc. This felt large to me, seemed to take them many hours, and I’d rather have them conduct major programming in person so it doesn’t get interrupted/corrupted (the consequences of which might be worse than the issue being fixed).
Sponsored