Trust - Update #3 - 12v Battery failure!

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
They will email me the information on all the specific modules updated, etc. This felt large to me, seemed to take them many hours, and I’d rather have them conduct major programming in person so it doesn’t get interrupted/corrupted (the consequences of which might be worse than the issue being fixed).
Mine said the actual update took about 3 hours, followed by over an hour of testing/driving.
Sponsored

Reactions: JSW

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I’m calling the local dealerships tomorrow to see which one is best positioned to provide updated software.

I had to remove 2 panels from the frunk (top and driver’s side)

Incidentally, for those having significant trouble closing the frunk, I note that the 2 posts against which the frunk closes are height adjustable, and might be a couple of turns too high...
Where are these posts? I haven't really paid attention that much.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I wonder if these are the sort of updates that might later be pushed by OTA? Or, are we stuck in the old model of dealer service reprogramming? (The dealer sounds great, not meant as a slight to them)
According to Ford ... EVERY component in this car that is controlled by a computer module, can be updated via an OTA update.

However... in order to apply an OTA update, the 12v battery has to have sufficient power (the computer module that handles the OTA update ... runs on that 12v battery). So if the 12v is low, it needs to get charged up before doing an update (you wouldn't want the power to die in mid-update).

So while it's technically possible to push this as an OTA update ... if a car is experiencing the issue where the 12v battery isn't being maintained correctly, it's probably best to have this particular update applied by the dealer so they can make sure the 12v battery is charged prior to applying the update.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
According to Ford ... EVERY component in this car that is controlled by a computer module, can be updated via an OTA update.

However... in order to apply an OTA update, the 12v battery has to have sufficient power (the computer module that handles the OTA update ... runs on that 12v battery). So if the 12v is low, it needs to get charged up before doing an update (you wouldn't want the power to die in mid-update).

So while it's technically possible to push this as an OTA update ... if a car is experiencing the issue where the 12v battery isn't being maintained correctly, it's probably best to have this particular update applied by the dealer so they can make sure the 12v battery is charged prior to applying the update.
Agree. It's the equivalent of trying to update an operating system on a computer with a dying laptop. Power cutting out in the middle of OTA would leave the car in even worse condition...

B25Nut

First Name
Charlee
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bsi-inc.com
Vehicles
2021 Premium MME 4EX Star White, 2019 Acura RDX,
Occupation
BSI Sales and Technical Manager
Country flag
I'm dumbfounded about how Ford could have issues with something so basic as the 12V battery. My 2013 Fusion Hybrid had initial issues with what appeared to be a 12v battery with too low a capacity, and now the Mach-E on early production vehicles. Today I was able to speak with the owner of a new Lincoln Corsair. Since the Corsair was on my initial new car list, I asked how he liked it. He responded that he loved it, but that it uses more power than it produces. He claims the electronics are constantly draining the 12v battery and the only fix that Lincoln has come up with is to put the battery on a trickle charge every night. He's not a happy camper.
Sponsored