Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
I've tried (a bit) searching for threads explaining what actually happens when you hit the brakes in MME - 1PD I understand, but what I'd like to understand is what happens with 2PD.

Given the brakes are electric, when I put my foot on the brake pedal in 2PD, I assume regen braking kicks in, does most of the slowing, and then at the very end the brake linings contact the disc rotors and the last x amount of braking is friction?

In other words, regardless of 1PD or 2PD, regen braking does most of the stopping, and the friction brakes do much, much less?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yes.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I assume regen braking kicks in, does most of the slowing, and then at the very end the brake linings contact the disc rotors and the last x amount of braking is friction?
This is where the Brake Coach comes in. It may not be exactly this cut and dry, but essentially a score of 100% means you basically used all regen and no friction. If you score 90%, you used 10% friction.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
It's all about how aggressively you brake. The car will ALWAYS try to use regen braking ... 1PD vs. 2PD mode doesn't matter. I wouldn't blame anyone for not knowing this as I'm hearing that for Tesla the mode does matter (with regen happening only in 1PD mode).

The more you can extend the braking distance (gentle braking that slows the car more gradually over a longer distance) the more energy it can reclaim (also it can't reclaim much if the battery is full or nearly full).

The more aggressively you brake, the more likely it is that it'll need friction brakes ... or it'll engage them earlier than it would had you slowed the car more gradually.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I just drive in Unbridled, let the motors slow the car to <10 mph and then use the physical brakes to finish the stop Unless I am trying to wear out my tires (i.e. drive fast). Unbridled has such an aggressive regen profile, I don’t really need to use the brakes unless it’s some sort of emergency. 🤷‍♂️😊🐩

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Where are you guys seeing the brake coach percentage? I have the slider set to on. And it suppose to show on the instrument cluster when stopped. I don't recall seeing anything.
Only shows in Engage mode.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
Been using whisper mostly in city- suburb driving, Engage and bridled in freeway. Thanks, they could have made it for all three modes lol. Easy OTA update.

Only shows in Engage mode.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Been using whisper mostly in city- suburb driving, Engage and bridled in freeway. Thanks, they could have made it for all three modes lol. Easy OTA update.
I think the idea is Engage is intended to be a more natural driving experience similar to ICE driving. Whisper is intended to have the minimum amount of stimulus. Less sensitive power delivery, software steering and just the most basic and necessary info on the driver's screen. Hence why the brake coach was omitted.

Unbridled is the opposite. Lots of stimulus, aggressive power delivery, heavy steering, obnoxious orange graphics, louder fake sound etc. They probably figured brake coach doesn't really matter with aggressive settings.

The truth is that once you learn how to get 100% every time then that little display doesn't really matter. You can still get that same score in the other two settings but you just don't see it on the dash.

I agree though. If you turn it on in the Sync screen then additional radio buttons for mode selection would be an easy step to include in future models.

DRuth086

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 2021 Mach-E AWD Extended Range
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Country flag
So I've never been able to get a clear answer on this...But does using 1PD prolong the life of your brakes? Is it better for the brakes than say 2PD?

Jppumper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1st car: 1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E X Premium
Occupation
Retired Master Certified Heavy Truck Technician
Country flag
When I was buying my MachE the dealer tried to talk me into a maintenance plan because “you’ll use the brakes a lot more with regenerative braking.”

When we traded in our Fusion Hybrid for the MME, we had 80k on it and never had to replace the brakes.

Jppumper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1st car: 1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E X Premium
Occupation
Retired Master Certified Heavy Truck Technician
Country flag
I noticed that in Whisper mode the car will coast forever. When I have it in Engaged Mode, I can feel the car decelerate when I take my foot off of the accelerator. Is this the feeling of regeneration?
Sponsored