Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
UPDATE OF ISSUE ON MY 2023 PREMIUM AWD:

Background: At the time of 1st service attempt of issue, Ford dealer had said they couldn't communicate with camera module at all and ordered a new part. Due to some weather issues on West Coast part was delayed several days, but was received at dealership about a week after ordering.

Solution:

Dealership needed the car for about half a day in total to verify condition again and replace the camera module. Here is the text from the service receipt:

1 - LJ8Z*3G590*D MODULE - DRIVER STATUS MONITOR
AUTH CODE: 8544

PERFORMED ROAD TEST, VERIFIED CONCERN, CRUISE CONTROL IS INOPERATIVE. PERFORMED QUICK TEST, FOUND U2018:51 IN CMR. FOUND PPT L. L1 U2018 RETURNS, YES. L2 REMOVE FRUNK PANELS TO ACCESS BATTERY, ATTACHED CHARGER, PERFORM PMI OF CMR. PROGRAMMING FAILED, ATTEMPTED TO PROGRAM AGAIN, PROGRAMMING FAILED A SECOND TIME, INSTALL A NEW DRIVER STATUS MONITOR CAMERA MODULE. REMOVED LEFT FRONT DOOR WEATHERSTRIPPING, ACCESSED CMR MODULE, REPLACED MODULE, PERFORMED PMI, PERFORMED POST REPAIR ROAD TEST ON THE INTERSTATE, VERIFIED ALL BLUECRUISE FUNCTIONS WORK.

I took the car on an approx. 350 mile trip right after this repair, first half (approx 175 miles) was in heavy rain and I couldn't get BlueCruise to engage at all, or even get the notice that BlueCruise was available. Driver Assist functions did periodically work (hands on wheel self-driving). I don't recall BlueCruise before being so susceptible to rain, but return trip had only periodic very light showers and BlueCruise available and worked well about 80% of time. Driving was all on I-5 corridor between Seattle and Portland - I've not attempted BlueCruise anywhere between these points previously so I can't verify what part of the BlueCruise outages may have been due to mapping fidelity itself of the software vs. environmental effects (rain) vs. some other weird bug.

Summary: Still sounds like the Driver Status Monitor module was truly bad, but unknown what was root cause. Replacing module at dealer appears to have solved the issue. Total cost $0.

I'm happy to have BlueCruise back online of course, but I'm still wary of what was the cause of this and whether or not the OTA update specifically dealing with the driver camera had anything to do with it.

I will say that after the first cross-country trip in the car, having BlueCruise available was a game-changer for managing fatigue and improving overall driving experience. Nice to let someone else drive for a little bit ;)
Sponsored

HoosierMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I posted this in another thread, but thought I'd share here too.

For those wondering about being credited by Ford due to the loss of your BlueCruise, you'll have to wait. I called Ford today about whether I should cancel my subscription until the issue is fixed, or if there are plans for crediting owners effected by this issue. I was politely told that there are no current plans to credit anyone. I was told that I was the first person to call about this, which was pretty surprising. The service rep was aware of the service bulletin. Her best guess was that Ford wouldn't do anything for customers until the issue is resolved. Her advice was to wait to see if there is any communication from Ford on crediting customers for loss of BlueCruise during this camera fault. I let her know that I would be filing a dispute through my credit card if this wasn't resolved by March. I'm going to keep my subscription for now and assume Ford will do the right thing and compensate us. Just wanted to follow up here for anyone wondering about this, but didn't feel like calling Ford.​

miguelcastro67

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT-Perf
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hello! Send us a private message with your VIN and current mileage. Allow me to see what I can do to assist. Thanks!
Just recognized exact same issue here. Watching this thread, sounds like I need to call the dealer. Frustrating just to lose the capability of course, but it's bizarre that there is no clear error I have received that "BlueCruise Not Available" or such -- in our car the only error I can get is if you toggle the lane centering on and off it will finally give the "Driver Facing Camera Error" warning.

That's why it took awhile before I realized BlueCruise was gone since I don't use it more than a few times a week for commuting.
I had the same thing and the dealer is the one that told me it was fuckup on Ford's update. They said they couldn't do anything on my 2023 GT-PE and that Ford will fix it by March (BS in my opinion). Ignore the message from Ford about "send us your VIN and we'll see what we can do". It's a crock of shit Bot. I'm embarrased it took a couple of exchanges to figure that out. There isn't a damn that is going to accomplish except waste your time. Tick tock until March now.

RMacon808

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I posted this in another thread, but thought I'd share here too.

For those wondering about being credited by Ford due to the loss of your BlueCruise, you'll have to wait. I called Ford today about whether I should cancel my subscription until the issue is fixed, or if there are plans for crediting owners effected by this issue. I was politely told that there are no current plans to credit anyone. I was told that I was the first person to call about this, which was pretty surprising. The service rep was aware of the service bulletin. Her best guess was that Ford wouldn't do anything for customers until the issue is resolved. Her advice was to wait to see if there is any communication from Ford on crediting customers for loss of BlueCruise during this camera fault. I let her know that I would be filing a dispute through my credit card if this wasn't resolved by March. I'm going to keep my subscription for now and assume Ford will do the right thing and compensate us. Just wanted to follow up here for anyone wondering about this, but didn't feel like calling Ford.​
Thank you for this post, was going to inquire on this issue also. I am still under the BlueCruise contract sold with the car, but was still going to ask for an extension of this contract at no cost since the car had bad hardware/software and could not provide the capability that was agreed to at the time of sale.

mtxmiller

First Name
ericlmiller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER 2022
Country flag
@Ford motor
Hi Mustang Mach-E Owners –

If you received software update 6.13.0 on your Mustang Mach-E and are experiencing issues with Ford BlueCruise, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. We want to let you know that if you are impacted by this, we are working to address the issue so that you can enjoy hands-free highway driving. As soon as the fix is available it will be sent via an over-the-air software update called ‘Priority Update: BlueCruise Driver Camera’ - so keep an eye out!

As a friendly reminder, to help ensure you are up to date on your software updates make sure you:
  1. Turn ON Automatic Software Updates — this keeps updates coming as they roll out.
  2. Set a recurring schedule — choose a time that is most convenient for you when your vehicle is typically parked, like overnight.
Once the software update is available, if you are still experiencing an issue using BlueCruise, please contact the Ford Customer Service Center at (800) 392-3673 or your local dealer.

Thank you for your patience.
This is happening to my 2022 lightning lariat er as well. Front facing camera fault after latest update. Should I take to dealer or wait for OTA?

vbludov

First Name
Viktor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, F-150
Occupation
system administrator
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Update 6.13.0 caused Driver Monitor Camera Fault Screenshot 2024-02-05 163259
I'm experiencing the same issue following the recent update aimed at "IMPROVING" the Driver Facing Camera. The infrared diodes in the driver-facing camera module no longer illuminate. This issue has led me to consider disabling future updates, as it appears to have been overlooked during quality assurance. You would expect Ford to test this on all models before pushing this update. The dealership provided me with a note indicating that an update to resolve this problem is expected to be released in mid-March.

jbr

First Name
JBR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium Ext. Range AWD
Country flag
Hi Mustang Mach-E Owners –

If you received software update 6.13.0 on your Mustang Mach-E and are experiencing issues with Ford BlueCruise, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. We want to let you know that if you are impacted by this, we are working to address the issue so that you can enjoy hands-free highway driving. As soon as the fix is available it will be sent via an over-the-air software update called ‘Priority Update: BlueCruise Driver Camera’ - so keep an eye out!

As a friendly reminder, to help ensure you are up to date on your software updates make sure you:
  1. Turn ON Automatic Software Updates — this keeps updates coming as they roll out.
  2. Set a recurring schedule — choose a time that is most convenient for you when your vehicle is typically parked, like overnight.
Once the software update is available, if you are still experiencing an issue using BlueCruise, please contact the Ford Customer Service Center at (800) 392-3673 or your local dealer.

Thank you for your patience.
Is there a time estimate for this fix?
Some people seem to have resolved the problem by taking their car into the dealership for repair. Is that an option if we don't want to wait?

OP
OP
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache, F350
Country flag
So here is my latest update from taking my Mache to the dealer.

So our techs looked into the concerns with the bluecruise & as of right now, it is a known issue by Ford about that update messing with the bluecruise system, and this is what Ford has to say for the concerns:
"Some 2022-2023 Mustang Mach-E vehicles which recently received an OTA update may exhibit an inoperative BlueCruise and lane centering with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) U2018:51 stored in the camera module - rear (CMR) and U0565:86 stored in the image processing module A (IPMA). This may be due to the software level of the CMR. Inform customers that engineering is currently working on a solution for this condition and will be released via Ford Power-Up software updates delivered over-the-air (OTA) expected in March 2024. The software will update automatically if vehicle connectivity is enabled on the vehicle's settings. Schedule a service visit for customers who have disabled vehicle connectivity or who report that they did not receive the update in March 2024. Monitor OASIS for additional information."
So, with all of that, it doesn't look like we will be able to do anything until Ford releases the new update in March

mtxmiller

First Name
ericlmiller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER 2022
Country flag
Interesting. Would be nice if there was some clearer communication.

Just Lurking

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Can anyone confirm if there is a software update available via FDRS to fix this issue? I saw in another thread there's a new update only available via FDRS but I'm not sure whether it fixes this year.

Secondly, is @Ford Motor Company going to credit us an extension to our BC subscription for the trouble? 3-4 months minimum, though six months extra would be a nice gesture for the inconvenience.

electric-in-the-desert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 GT
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Screenshot 2024-02-05 163259.png
I'm experiencing the same issue following the recent update aimed at "IMPROVING" the Driver Facing Camera. The infrared diodes in the driver-facing camera module no longer illuminate. This issue has led me to consider disabling future updates, as it appears to have been overlooked during quality assurance. You would expect Ford to test this on all models before pushing this update. The dealership provided me with a note indicating that an update to resolve this problem is expected to be released in mid-March.
Ford absolutely does test all model years with a variety of configurations (internal tests, employee cars, and EAP). By no means am I giving them a pass (personally I also find this issue unacceptable as it makes a very high-value feature completely unusable), but car OTAs are hard especially with the system architecture of the Mache/Lightning. I work in semiconductor verification and trust me, you can’t exhaustively verify every possible scenario. Remember this issue only appears with an OTA not if the update happened via FDRS.

Also as a heads-up, just turning off automatic software updates doesn’t actually guarantee your car won’t update. Ford can still update your car with fixes they deem important (like recall SW fixes).

vbludov

First Name
Viktor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, F-150
Occupation
system administrator
Country flag
Ford absolutely does test all model years with a variety of configurations (internal tests, employee cars, and EAP). By no means am I giving them a pass (personally I also find this issue unacceptable as it makes a very high-value feature completely unusable), but car OTAs are hard especially with the system architecture of the Mache/Lightning. I work in semiconductor verification and trust me, you can’t exhaustively verify every possible scenario. Remember this issue only appears with an OTA not if the update happened via FDRS.

Also as a heads-up, just turning off automatic software updates doesn’t actually guarantee your car won’t update. Ford can still update your car with fixes they deem important (like recall SW fixes).
Thank you for your response. I may have been a bit harsh on Ford's QA, but, as you said, this was a "high-value feature" that sold the car for me. This was the straw that broke the camel's back. Before this, I encountered other strange interface bugs. For example, it doesn't happen often, but sometimes the display takes a couple of minutes to turn on. It freezes from time to time and reboots. On another occasion, the display froze as I was backing up, and the image of the rear view was frozen on the display even after I switched forward and left the parking lot. That is a dangerous condition that could have caused an accident if I weren't an old-fashioned driver who still uses mirrors to this day.

Space_titan

First Name
Saul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach-GT, 2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Country flag
Seeing as we're now in early-mid March, I wanted to see if anybody in the forum has recieved an OTA update on the Blue Cruise. I'm still waiting on my side.

HoosierMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Still waiting as well. I really don't want to have to go to my dealer to get the update. Considering it takes 2-3 weeks to get in, I'm thinking of making an appointment anyway and cancelling if I get the OTA update by the time of the appointment.

OP
OP
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache, F350
Country flag
Nothing with BC yet for me. Had the Tesla update and this one last night.

Background Upgrades

• We’ve made background improvements to your vehicle's software to enhance your overall experience.

Software updates are designed to help make your vehicle better over time.

24-PU0102-SVD-FX2
Sponsored