Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It has been a couple years since I checked but I seem to remember that Ford is sitting pretty with ZEV credits in California (which is really the only market that matters in that regard at the moment). In the early ZEV years, it was possible to transfer CA ZEV credits to other ZEV states so Ford built and sold FFE and Energi vehicles in CA first and sometimes exclusively. Then the ability to transfer credits expired so Ford was left sitting on a stockpile of ZEV credits in CA. I believe enough to discontinue selling the FFE in 2018 and coast along until 2021 when the MME was released. Due to battery size, Ford easily meets the current ZEV requirements for CA so I don't think that is much of an issue at the moment.

That is how I remember the data anyway.....things could have changed or I could be remembering incorrectly.

At any rate, I don't think ZEV credits are Ford's biggest concern right now. The bigger concern is meeting demand of both ICE and BEV vehicles.....and to a lesser extent PHEVs. They have a serious problem on their hands.....same for GM and Chrysler IMO...
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
1024px-Section_177_states_%282019%29.svg.png

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Air_Resources_Board#Section_177_states

If you live in one of the green states that has ZEV (Zero-Emissions Vehicle) program requirements, consider yourself lucky. You're more likely get your Mach-E scheduled for production before the rest of us because of regulatory targets. The rest of us have to wait longer until Ford has produced enough vehicles for your state to get ours. The same is true of some European countries with regulatory targets, such as Norway (more than half of Mach-E production has been exported outside the USA). With limited production capability, this really puts those of us in gray states "in last place" for production scheduling. With the new model year coming, I wonder how things will work if your '21 didn't get built. Do gray state orders go to the end of the line again behind ZEV state and foreign required production? This seems like an ongoing problem until Ford has ample production capacity to supply all the green states (and countries) with enough left over for gray states.

It's worth wondering if placing an order for a '22 in a green state would be faster than waiting for our existing gray-state order to be built...
Out in 5-0 ?‍♂ land, our BEV choices for ages have been: Bolt, Leaf and Tesla. Anything that even remote resembles a compliance car wasn’t sold hear. Want to buy a BEV Kona because you lived in Kona? Yeah good luck with that.

The MME was a refreshing change. Thankfully.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Everyone in a grey state who doesn’t have a build date yet and feels they’ve waited a long time.
What about the people in green states that are still waiting and the people in grey states that already have their cars? Your evidence is that there are people in grey states that feel they've waited a long time? Whatever makes you feel better.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
What about the people in green states that are still waiting and the people in grey states that already have their cars? Your evidence is that there are people in grey states that feel they've waited a long time? Whatever makes you feel better.
Exactly. I am in CA and still impatiently waiting. Pissed at Ford for a couple of silent production week delays.

Sam2084

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 CR-V, E4X Ordered
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Woosh.

Personally I think Ford is allocating more toward ZEV states because they can make more money selling them there. That’s what I would do. And considering I have an April order with no VIN, I have to rationalize it some way.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I know that one data point does not say much but I received my Mach-E in Wisconsin on February 9. I reserved early, ordered as soon as I could, and happily took delivery early in February. My dealer in Middleton, Wisconsin delivered several other Mach-Es at about the same time. If Ford was trying to short non-ZEV Wisconsin customers, they did not execute very well. Maybe the people who designed Ford Pass were in charge of giving priority to ZEV states. By the way, I love my Mach-E and have had no problems that could not be solved by reading the manual. Hope you get yours soon.
Sponsored