Bryan_GTPE

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 302A in Silver - Current
Country flag
Tom Moloughney has some good videos on his Youtube channel, as do others that walkthrough the various screens, what the settings do and how to use the interface. There is also the manual on screen in the Mach-E and you can download it as others have stated.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
First thing I did after ordering my MME was to download the manual! and I'm pretty sure I've gone through it several times now. I am currently waiting for @Ford to to put up the 2022 manual online.

Many people will complain that they don't have the time to "find the answer" they need, and will just resort to starting a new thread on a topic already covered several times in the past.

Tony
Sure, but things like how to charge at a DCFC station, how to set up P&C, or what's a good L2 charger aren't in the manual. I for one was intimidated the first time I tried to DCFC, so I can empathize with the condition.

I do wholeheartedly agree that a lot of people just come here and post a question expecting us to do their homework for them without even looking. Many times I ignore those, but if I am in a helpful mood I will stick a link to a helpful post and maybe comment as well. In order for me to do that easily, I have a bunch of those helpful posts bookmarked. It would actually be easier on everyone to just point them to the "getting started" post (kind of like what Johnathan/ @macchiaz-o posted).

OP
OP
Red Baron

Red Baron

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 2WD Standard Range
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Sure, but things like how to charge at a DCFC station, how to set up P&C, or what's a good L2 charger aren't in the manual. I for one was intimidated the first time I tried to DCFC, so I can empathize with the condition.

I do wholeheartedly agree that a lot of people just come here and post a question expecting us to do their homework for them without even looking. Many times I ignore those, but if I am in a helpful mood I will stick a link to a helpful post and maybe comment as well. In order for me to do that easily, I have a bunch of those helpful posts bookmarked. It would actually be easier on everyone to just point them to the "getting started" post (kind of like what Johnathan/ @macchiaz-o posted).
I agree.

Actually, I could dig out all the important info from this forum. In my past life, I was a techie - I was Chief Programmer for IBM on the IBM PC project.

But, as production ramps up, there will be a lot of newbies buying the Mach-E and it doesn't hurt to give them a "first-day" checklist. Yes, a lot is in the manual but a lot is not. For example, "make sure the 12V battery is fully charged before driving away from the dealer". Or, "don't let your dealer turn Ford Options into a lease", etc.

So, have a little pity for the newbies and give them some guidance for their first few days of ownership and then invite them to become full participants in this forum.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag

FWIW, setting up PAAK is on page 63 of the owner's manual, and instructions for plugging in a DCFC begin on page 162. But I understand your point and that's why this forum is invaluable.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
FWIW, setting up PAAK is on page 63 of the owner's manual, and instructions for plugging in a DCFC begin on page 162. But I understand your point and that's why this forum is invaluable.
When I said P&C I meant plug-n-charge, not PaaK. As for plugging in the DCFC, yes the directions are there but if you failed to set up P&C OR you are not at an EA DCFC then you need to know how to activate the specific network's DCFC. The manual also doesn't tell you which networks are part of the blueoval and which aren't. Chargepoint is also a wonky one, because at some locations you need an account for the specific owner of the charger (like Georgia power or FP&L) and sometimes you don't.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
When I said P&C I meant plug-n-charge, not PaaK. As for plugging in the DCFC, yes the directions are there but if you failed to set up P&C OR you are not at an EA DCFC then you need to know how to activate the specific network's DCFC. The manual also doesn't tell you which networks are part of the blueoval and which aren't. Chargepoint is also a wonky one, because at some locations you need an account for the specific owner of the charger (like Georgia power or FP&L) and sometimes you don't.
Ah, yes I misread your comment. Plug & Charge is a Ford Pass connected service, isn't it? Not really part of the car. Also, Ford doesn't know what charge system you may decide to use, right? So the best bet is to go through those company's instructions. :)

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
This is really something Ford should do, it would be quite helpful. Something like a quick start guide. Yes, in an ideal world we would all read the manual a few times and spend time fiddling with the settings and reading up here. But many have busy work and home lives and may not have the time (or inclination) to do that.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Ah, yes I misread your comment. Plug & Charge is a Ford Pass connected service, isn't it? Not really part of the car. Also, Ford doesn't know what charge system you may decide to use, right? So the best bet is to go through those company's instructions. :)
Exactly - that information is not in the manual or readily available - which is the point of the OP. Newbies have no clue what a kludge CCS DCFC charging is or the pitfalls involved, so aren't equipped to even ask the right question.

Gathering exactly this kind of information together instead of having to dig for it would be helpful for newbies as well as those who've forgotten some things.

I still don't know how practical it would be, unfortunately.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Exactly - that information is not in the manual or readily available - which is the point of the OP. Newbies have no clue what a kludge CCS DCFC charging is or the pitfalls involved, so aren't equipped to even ask the right question.

Gathering exactly this kind of information together instead of having to dig for it would be helpful for newbies as well as those who've forgotten some things.

I still don't know how practical it would be, unfortunately.
I agree with you, perhaps a MME FAQ should be maintained somewhere. I really don't think it belongs in the owner's manual since it's not information that Ford controls. Most of it is here, but people seem to not like using the forum search tools. Me, I have found answers to every one of my questions through a combo of searching the manual, searching the forum, and using Google.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I really don't think it belongs in the owner's manual since it's not information that Ford controls.
I absolutely agree. Did someone say it belonged in the manual?

Lola2004

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda pilot
Occupation
Travel agent
Country flag
Who has the spare time to prepare (and keep updated) a Dummies Guide to the Mach-E?
Sections:
1. Accepting delivery - what to check at dealer before driving away?
2. Setup - what are setup guielines on first day of ownership?
3. What are current TSB's, etc?
4. Interesting tweaks to user interface
5. Charging - at home and on the road
6. Current after-market offerings
7. Paint protection

Can you think of anything else?
Something like this would be valuable for new owners instead of having to read through thousands of posts to try to glean information, suggestions.
Yes please, waiting on mine but will need all the help on these topics

Dude

First Name
Dominic Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E select
Occupation
Sim Pilot
Country flag
There is more to learn about this complex machine(MME) than is explained in the manual. I discovered a treasure trove of information on this and other forums. I believe that the dealers that sell this EV should be able to provide in service information just as professional organizations do. I am very appreciative to have this and other forums available.

Dude

First Name
Dominic Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E select
Occupation
Sim Pilot
Country flag
There is more to learn about this complex machine(MME) than is explained in the manual. I discovered a treasure trove of information on this and other forums. I believe that the dealers that sell this EV should be able to provide in service information just as professional organizations do. I am very appreciative to have this and other forums available.
I would also add (if any Ford Engineers are listening) that the sales people that I encountered did not adequately teach me the fine points of theory and operation of the vehicle. I have owned this EV for 6 months and to this very day and continue to learn more about this EV. Today I encountered a bug in the automatic light feature. I discovered from another thread that the bug in the lights can be over come by switching them to the off position then to the automatic position. Who knew!!!! I would suggest that the Ford Dealers offer a class/lecture on this EV before the owner drives away.
Sponsored