What possible reason does a Ford Certified body shop need to drive my car 36 miles???

pandahugs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-e Premium
Country flag
It has been at a Ford Certified Collision center for going on four months to complete a 5-week repair. (FYI, you can see the damage in my profile pic) I get an email on Friday that they’re about done with it (finally), but that it’s waiting on the calibration people to come finish that part. Haven’t heard that it’s actually ready, but after that email, they drove my car 35 miles… and didn’t bother to put air in the tires (four months and weather change = low tire pressure). One mile is driving it around the shop.
Sponsored

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
They probably sub'd out the work to another body shop would be my guess.

OP
OP
pandahugs

pandahugs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They probably sub'd out the work to another body shop would be my guess.
They were done with the body repair. One mile went to driving it in and out of the shop through various stages. I’ve been watching my car on the app map. The 35 miles came after.

Kmp14

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD Extended
Country flag
I would fear a joy ride and complain.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Drove it to the calibration people, who then drove it while calibrating it? Maybe took it to a divided highway to make sure BlueCruise worked?

OP
OP
pandahugs

pandahugs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Drove it to the calibration people, who then drove it while calibrating it? Maybe took it to a divided highway to make sure BlueCruise worked?
The calibration people came to them and they’re close to I-75. Maybe. I sent them the question to see what they say, but it reminds me of when I went to the dealership to get my car and it already had 24 miles on the odometer. They tried to say it was testing at the plant in Mexico, but we had the EV driving feature in the app then (man, I miss that feature, hope it comes back) and I could see they put 12 miles on it (joy ride or test drive). This is the first MME for this Ford Certified Collision center.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
It has been at a Ford Certified Collision center for going on four months to complete a 5-week repair. (FYI, you can see the damage in my profile pic) I get an email on Friday that they’re about done with it (finally), but that it’s waiting on the calibration people to come finish that part. Haven’t heard that it’s actually ready, but after that email, they drove my car 35 miles… and didn’t bother to put air in the tires (four months and weather change = low tire pressure). One mile is driving it around the shop.
Have you thought of asking them, all anybody on the forum can do is guess? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
pandahugs

pandahugs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you thought of asking them, all anybody on the forum can do is guess? :rolleyes:
Yes, I sent them the question. No reply yet. My point in asking here was in case someone else had experience with this and knew of a reason.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
Yes, I sent them the question. No reply yet. My point in asking here was in case someone else had experience with this and knew of a reason.
Gotcha, hope it wasn't just some idiot taking it home for a joy ride. I have seen news stories of where that has happened before. Good luck!

AtomicInternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS, Mach E Premium
Country flag
Invest in a dash cam. Worth every penny.

This was the last time I took my Focus RS to this dealer. They tried to offer me a free oil change and some other BS as comp, I said nope I'm done. Informed them if my car suffers any kind of engine trouble in or out of warranty I'll be back with my lawyer. It'll be hard for them to argue after watching this tool rev the engine with no coolant after the engine put itself in protected safe mode.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Owner is using it as his commuter ev to home and work. This happened to me back in 2013 dropping my daughters new 20212 challenger srt8 392 at the wrap shop. Came back after 2 days and he used car 20 miles. He had no excuse. Gave the worst review on every social site. We did stop the check as tge work was not very good.
Eventually we got another shop to fix his bad cuts cost $500 so I sent him the bill and 50% of the his cost. He cashed the check and never contacted me. I saved $500 from his BS.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Could be they need several miles to confirm it worked. Sometimes those systems have a 10-15 mile check before they even start doing it. Could of been on the first calibrations it failed and they had to re do it hence more miles. They do a loop to check things.

I have had cars that the shop had to do 30-40 miles to make sure the codes were clear and so on so they could complete everything.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Hopefully the answer is they are getting close to completion and they wanted to put some miles on it to make sure there were no lights or error messages coming up when driving and that all of the systems like Blue Cruise are working correctly with no errors. My other guess would be they needed to pick something up and needed a car to do so. The last guess would be out just to joyride just because I am sure there are a lot of other picks they would have if it was truly for a joy ride.

AngryMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OLD 2021 Select , NEW 2023 GT...RED !
Occupation
Living the good life
Country flag
Could be worse. As I sat waiting to sign my paperwork on my brand new Challenger the idiot kid who was supposed to detail the car hit a poll in the service bay resulting in a nice V in the front bumper .
Dealer had car nose pointing out hoping Id go around the back of the car and just jump in and drive away thereby "owning" the dent .
The moment I saw the dent I knew why the process took 8 hours to buy the car.

BTW Im not discounting your righteous indignation .
LIGHT THEM UP on social media .
Sponsored