mplumpe

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium on order
Country flag
I originally ordered a Mach-E in April of last year. The order showed up on the Ford site, but eventually Ford and the dealer decided it wasn’t actually ordered. A new order was placed last winter for a MY22 car. I got an email from Ford a couple months ago that basically said they haven’t started making my car and don’t know when they will.

I ordered a Kia EV6 in April and it came in a few weeks later. So now I no longer need my order from Ford. What can/should I do with it? Can I transfer (sell?) my position to someone?
Sponsored

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Nope you can't transfer the rezzie. Best you could do is to like take another person in with you to the dealer and claim they're like your S.O. or in your household and have some kind of side deal with the other person. This would require a lot of trust between you and the other person though.

The other thing you could do is to buy and flip the MME, but you live in CA from your zip code, and our sales tax is very high. You won't make much money doing this, because MMEs are not going on a used private sale market for THAT much more than $5-10k over. Plus you would have the hassle, risk, insurance costs etc of carrying the car while flipping it. You would at best make probably the $7,500 tax credit + maybe $2k more I think.

When I was looking into this back in Jan of this year, the car buying services were basically offering me MSRP (without the sales tax) on a GTPE, so it wasn't worth it to me. I let my second car reservation lapse.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
Take the car and sell it for a profit. Or trade in/sell ev6 for a profit.

Being able to get a new EV at MSRP is an opportunity you shouldn't pass.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Take the car and sell it for a profit. Or trade in/sell ev6 for a profit.

Being able to get a new EV at MSRP is an opportunity you shouldn't pass.
as I said above I’m not sure the economics work out in California for flipping due to the very high sales tax.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
If you can tow the loan get the rebate and enjoy it for awhile You’ll absolutely come out all right. I also completely understand if you’re not used to or don’t want to flip cars for fun or profit

The dealers going to make 10 K plus on this over his normal Profit and some people are offended by that like me

I would pretend to be your brother-in-law and pick it up tomorrow if you’d let me

Jes sayin

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You cannot transfer your order to anyone. If you buy and immediately resell, you wouldn't qualify for the tax credit per IRS rules.

The vehicles must be acquired for use or lease and not for resale. Additionally, the original use of the vehicle must commence with the taxpayer and the vehicle must be used predominantly in the United States. For purposes of the 30D credit, a vehicle is not considered acquired prior to the time when title to the vehicle passes to the taxpayer under state law.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-in-electric-vehicle-credit-irc-30-and-irc-30d

Last edited:

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I would re-evaluate if you want the EV6 or the MME.

If you are happy with the EV6, I'd just move on with life and don't look back. Too much hassle for me, but sorta like the whole buy out of state, spend 10+ hours driving home or shipping it for $500-$1000, my time and hassle is worth some $$ too.

It doesn't even sound like your MME is anywhere near built anyways so I'd personally not bother. That and add in possible pains with dealer shenanigans makes me not want to put even more effort in this process. If it was a Tesla, you may want to buy that and resell (I assume their resale prices will be much better since your MSRP was lower when ordered), but no tax credit so you have no worries with that issue and instantly flipping it.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I originally ordered a Mach-E in April of last year. The order showed up on the Ford site, but eventually Ford and the dealer decided it wasn’t actually ordered. A new order was placed last winter for a MY22 car. I got an email from Ford a couple months ago that basically said they haven’t started making my car and don’t know when they will.

I ordered a Kia EV6 in April and it came in a few weeks later. So now I no longer need my order from Ford. What can/should I do with it? Can I transfer (sell?) my position to someone?
I wouldn’t do anything with the reservation.

When the Mach E comes in, test drive it. If you like it better than the EV6, buy it. If not, keep the EV6.

We are in an odd market where you can buy a new car and switch to another new car and not lose money. Take advantage of that and walk away with whatever car you like best.
Sponsored