Why “Pet Mode”?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yes, they call it overheat protection.
Interesting. Though it looks like that feature was added in 2016, so I’m not sure how much it’s related to the addition of Dog Mode in 2019.

I probably wouldn‘t use it, but I do think having options in the MME for maintaining a set interior temp with the car off would be a welcome addition.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Some folks are asking for a way to leave their pets alone in their vehicles... On purpose... With climate control and a note visible to passersby to ask them not to break the glass or free the trapped animals.
Those people should just leave their pets at home. Jeez.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Interesting. Though it looks like that feature was added in 2016, so I’m not sure how much it’s related to the addition of Dog Mode in 2019.

I probably wouldn‘t use it, but I do think having options in the MME for maintaining a set interior temp with the car off would be a welcome addition.
I think that's why people are claiming they added it as an extension, or building upon, overheat protection since the car already had the ability to turn on and cool the cabin. At least that's how I read it.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Its very noticeable to outside people, and as this feature gets implemented more, more people will know to look at the huge center screen for guidance.
As I said, I wouldn’t, I’d call 911. But that’s me - I’m weird - I don’t go peering in people’s cars, but motion might catch my eyes ?

Sam Hehn

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E e4
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oh! So, they want to essentially leave the car running with the doors locked and a “post-it” note type thing that says “hey, my pet is ok in here”?
Does ANY car made today have this? I’m wondering how the display would be implemented for example? Also, what would happen if fuel (or battery) ran low?

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
As I said, I wouldn’t, I’d call 911. But that’s me - I’m weird - I don’t go peering in people’s cars, but motion might catch my eyes ?
If you see motion in the car and are engaged enough to call 911 (or something more drastic), I can't imagine you not taking a closer look to see if a person was also in there, and if you do that there is no way to miss the screen. The screen is very visible from the outside when I walked by it the other day.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I would never consider locking my pet inside a car parked out here in the desert. That is just cruel. Even if the A/C was running, people would break the glass to save the animal. Most everyone here has tinted windows so they will see the animal trapped inside but probably ignore the screen.

Just guessing though. Maybe people are smarter than I give them credit for. But then again.....I tell people the car is fully electric and they are still expecting to see an engine when I pop the hood so I dunno....???
it is actually illegal in lots of places to leave pets (or children) in a car, even for a minute. I don't think there is provision in the law for whether the vehicle was left running, or not, or has a pet mode display, or not. Perhaps since an EV left running doesn't pollute (directly anyway), perhaps local laws will be amended... but it will ultimately be the Owner's responsibility.

It might be super convenient for owners, but if the a/c or heat fails, pets (or children) could die.

Just because we CAN do this, I don't know if we SHOULD. One failure and one death would be too many.

Last edited:

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Leave car on, open up Notes, write message using Sketch, lock car with 7-8, 9 9-0 button combo
and disable Settings->auto-off if you are away more than 10 minutes
Sponsored