Why does the regenerative braking "Brake Coach" only shows on the front screen in the ENGAGED mode ?

MICO

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Rapid Red
Country flag
Can anyone explain why the regenerative breaking, your "break Coach" only shows on the front screen in the ENGAGED mode and not in the whisper or unbridled modes. My Ford dealer says that the regenerative system still functions in the other 2 modes. It doesn't make sense that it only shows in the one driving mode when you can see the greyed out area where it should be displayed. Is it really working or is my Ford dealer just guessing for an answer he doesn't really have
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Can anyone explain why the regenerative breaking, your "break Coach" only shows on the front screen in the ENGAGED mode and not in the whisper or unbridled modes. My Ford dealer says that the regenerative system still functions in the other 2 modes. It doesn't make sense that it only shows in the one driving mode when you can see the greyed out area where it should be displayed. Is it really working or is my Ford dealer just guessing for an answer he doesn't really have
It's truly baffling why Brake Coach only shows up in Engaged mode. Makes no sense.

I can sort of see why it might not come on in Unbridled, as the car is doing most of the braking with accelerator pedal regen rather than the brake pedal (thus not much to coach the driver on). Brake Coach only applies to the brake pedal (I think).

But Whisper mode should clearly display it.

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
I believe the dealer is correct. From my understanding, all three modes do have regenerative braking but at different levels of regen. Whisper has the lightest for a smoother, ICE like ride. Engage has medium amount and unbridled has the strongest regen. Now why the brake coach only shows up on Engaged I have no clue.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think the primary reason why the Brake Coach doesn't display in Whisper is because that "experience" is intended to be low stimulus. Just the bare minimum info displayed on the driver's s screens or less graphics compared to other modes.

Interesting enough, the Brake Coach even displays when using Adaptive Cruise Control in Engage when the vehicle brings itself to a stop.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I am pretty much the same position as the others who think that the brake coach should display in all 3 modes. I guess it wouldn’t be needed in Unbridled Extend mode since I don’t care a bit about regen or battery use if I’m on the track. What say you @Ford Motor Company ?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think the primary reason why the Brake Coach doesn't display in Whisper is because that "experience" is intended to be low stimulus. Just the bare minimum info displayed on the driver's s screens or less graphics compared to other modes.

Interesting enough, the Brake Coach even displays when using Adaptive Cruise Control in Engage when the vehicle brings itself to a stop.
And when "L" gear is engaged with Engaged (which is my normal mode now).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It does work in the other modes, and the answer is essentially: "Because I said so, that's why!"

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Braak coach ?
Break coach ☹

Brake Coach ?

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I'll one up all of you in this thread and say we should get a live regen / power consumption gauge instead of the brake coach all together

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'll one up all of you in this thread and say we should get a live regen / power consumption gauge instead of the brake coach all together
Clearly. But it’s nonexistence is what makes the Brake Coach so important. It’s the only glimmer of info we get about how much regen we’re getting.

MaineSailor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 SAAB 9-5, 2021 Mach E SR Premium
Occupation
Marine Engineer
Country flag
AGREED! Seems that a live regen/power consumption gauge should be possible - give us some data that we can use - real time! Hope Ford is listening!

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I am sure there were many discussions at Team Edison about that very thing.

The Jeep Wrangler PHEV gives you an analog gauge for power/regen. Then you get an electronic gauge in the center display if you choose it. Then you get the actual kW figures in the Infotainment if you point to that particular screen. Information overload.

Sometimes I switch my screens to the little Willy's Jeep climbing over random hills. Seems more peaceful. :)
Sponsored