PCPilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, FE
Country flag
I am able to connect the car to my home wifi, according to the display in the car. It grabs a local IP address and has the checkmark next to the SSID, and the wifi symbol shows with decent signal strength, so all looks good on that end. However, on my network admin apllication, that same IP address and MAC address is nowhere to be found. I do see some “unnamed devices” but the MAC addresses don't match what shows in the car. Not 100% sure I have actual connectivity and I need to rely on it for the OTA updates, etc...

Just curious if anyone has noticed the vehicle's connection showing up on their network software, and if so, what device name and/or manufacturer comes up? Thanks
Sponsored

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I am able to connect the car to my home wifi, according to the display in the car. It grabs a local IP address and has the checkmark next to the SSID, and the wifi symbol shows with decent signal strength, so all looks good on that end. However, on my network admin apllication, that same IP address and MAC address is nowhere to be found. I do see some “unnamed devices” but the MAC addresses don't match what shows in the car. Not 100% sure I have actual connectivity and I need to rely on it for the OTA updates, etc...

Just curious if anyone has noticed the vehicle's connection showing up on their network software, and if so, what device name and/or manufacturer comes up? Thanks
I show a SYNC in my admin log

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I recognize SYNC but have to check its IP and confirm

TheBluf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata
Country flag
Mine is no where to be found, either. Given that there is very little cell reception at my house, it would be much better if it stayed connected like any other modern device!

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
So I can confirm that SYNC shows up and IP matches the 2nd MAC address you can see under Sync Mac Addresses on the main screen. I also see a connection to mdm9650-tcu and its MAC address matches the 1st MAC address you see right after System Updates. So there are two connections.

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
I've got a different issue - I can connect to my home wifi, but I use a hidden SSID. Once the car is turned off, the network settings for my home router are "forgotten," and I have to re-add it to the car's settings again. This is going to be a big issue for OTA updates if I can't resolve it.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I've got a different issue - I can connect to my home wifi, but I use a hidden SSID. Once the car is turned off, the network settings for my home router are "forgotten," and I have to re-add it to the car's settings again. This is going to be a big issue for OTA updates if I can't resolve it.
This is not really on topic but as an FYI hidden SSIDs are a very bad idea. They are actually less secure.

There's a million posts about this online, but this is a very friendly one: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/286...hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secure/

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
This is not really on topic but as an FYI hidden SSIDs are a very bad idea. They are actually less secure.

There's a million posts about this online, but this is a very friendly one: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/286...hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secure/
Good point, and thanks for the reminder. I started using hidden networks a million years ago and just never got out of the habit even after I learned more about networking and architectures.

OP
OP
PCPilot

PCPilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, FE
Country flag
So I can confirm that SYNC shows up and IP matches the 2nd MAC address you can see under Sync Mac Addresses on the main screen. I also see a connection to mdm9650-tcu and its MAC address matches the 1st MAC address you see right after System Updates. So there are two connections.
Yes, I found the connections as you described. Kind of a weird way they show up. I have a few other unnamed devices so I thought the Mach e was using some sort of MAC address randomization. Thanks to all for the feedback.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Yup. As stated mustang has two WiFi connections. Noticed it last night.

846F899F-351B-4773-A042-4BAC8C10DE1B.jpeg

461A2ABE-A33C-4636-AEC1-B364255B3D29.jpeg

AFVolt

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Is there a 3rd connection somewhere? I see those 2 MAC addresses, but under the Wifi Connections, there is a 3rd one that doesn't match the other 2. The IP address assigned to it is the one I reserved for the 1st MAC address in the SYNC setting.

I also noticed the MAC address under Wifi Connections changed when I went out to the car a second time to see how it connected to my router.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Is there a 3rd connection somewhere? I see those 2 MAC addresses, but under the Wifi Connections, there is a 3rd one that doesn't match the other 2. The IP address assigned to it is the one I reserved for the 1st MAC address in the SYNC setting.

I also noticed the MAC address under Wifi Connections changed when I went out to the car a second time to see how it connected to my router.
Not sure I only tried once was able to identify the two. The thirrd may be a WiFi from your evade if you have one with WiFi . Don’t have car with me to check against it’s at PPF guys
Sponsored