Will Bluecruise 1.2 be available via OTA update?

b1ptsv24

First Name
Shirl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
As outsiders, we don't know what all the low level differences are between 2022 and 2023 models. I can speculate that given the great global chip shortage of the past few years, it's highly likely Ford has changed the silicon chips in the lower level modules between 2022 and 2023. So while one may think "BC 1.2 is already tested on 2023 models, just roll it out", there may be testing required still to ensure the software works on 2022 models. But I'm just speculating here.

But I suspect there is another reason Ford is moving slow: institutional bureaucracy. If you have ever worked for a medium to large corporation in the engineering departments, you know what I mean.

IMHO, Tesla uses the "move fast and break things" mentality. See "auto pilot" and them using public roads for beta software testing. I really don't agree with that approach for driving assist in cars.
As seen by Musk sending up a $3B rocket that they KNOW will explode. The concept is fine for rockets without people in it but hopefully they are more careful when they start sending people to the moon!
Sponsored

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
On an open freeway V 1.0 is okay. Not so much on a busy freeway, even if maintaining speeds of 60-65 mph, when nearby cars are changing lanes. Under those conditions you have to take the wheel frequently and it doesn't change lanes for you. True, I rarely get to drive on a wide open highway. Also it tends to ping-pong from one side of a lane to the other. My friend's MME w/ BC 1.2 works better and instills more confidence to keep your hands off the wheel. It also changes lanes which is pretty cool.
This reflects my experience with 1.0 as well, after several thousand handsfree Bluecruise miles. Very nice experience on an open freeway with no traffic, but significantly worse with traffic (almost useless because I most often choose not to use it). The ping-ponging, hugging right side of lane, and fairly aggressive braking when someone merges into my lane make it a fairly uncomfortable experience in traffic. Hoping the rumors are true and 1.2 is coming to 21/22 models this year.

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
This reflects my experience with 1.0 as well, after several thousand handsfree Bluecruise miles. Very nice experience on an open freeway with no traffic, but significantly worse with traffic (almost useless because I most often choose not to use it). The ping-ponging, hugging right side of lane, and fairly aggressive braking when someone merges into my lane make it a fairly uncomfortable experience in traffic. Hoping the rumors are true and 1.2 is coming to 21/22 models this year.
The aggressive braking is annoying when someone cuts you off, but I have found if you slightly touch the go pedal it will not, then slowly ease back on the pedal until its at the distance you have it set for. Not optimal but it does help.
I do wish in traffic I could control the go pedal and let it do the driving.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Ahh you are Boston, I am well up the North Shore of Mass and we mainly head north to Maine. I love BC and use it all the time, but yeah the problem in your case is not BC its Boston drivers. They are the worst there is.

SFC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT
Country flag
Common sense should tell you 70 lbs isn't going to be close to changing the mileage that much. So if you put 4 people in your car you are saying mileage would decrease by 50%????
It was discussed that they could shave 70 lbs off but was never done.
Depends on how they removed weight. Adding 400lbs of weight to the bed of a pickup truck will have significantly less impact on mileage than adding 100lbs of weight to each wheel.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Depends on how they removed weight. Adding 400lbs of weight to the bed of a pickup truck will have significantly less impact on mileage than adding 100lbs of weight to each wheel.
Well, since he said it was 70lbs of wiring harness, it wasn’t likely in the wheels. Of course, he can’t even remember where he read it, so the entire discussion about it is moot anyway.

OP
OP

spgordon57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
Well, since he said it was 70lbs of wiring harness, it wasn’t likely in the wheels. Of course, he can’t even remember where he read it, so the entire discussion about it is moot anyway.
Sir, I never claimed to be an expert; I merely noted what I'd read on the topic months ago. Nothing more. This forum is for MME owners and enthusiasts, not professional auto journalists. If any of us could note, reference or cite every article we ever read on the subject, to your exacting standards, we'd have little time to live and breath. You're not Bob Woodward and I'm not Richard Nixon. So please, check your attitude at the door or check out of this forum.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Ahh you are Boston, I am well up the North Shore of Mass and we mainly head north to Maine. I love BC and use it all the time, but yeah the problem in your case is not BC its Boston drivers. They are the worst there is.

Haha! Indeed! I feel like Boston drivers are even worse these days (post-pandemic), if that's even possible.

mikeinet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD Tech/Comfort
Occupation
Cyber Security, First Responder
Country flag
I've driven over 18,000 miles in Mach-Es, over 1/2 that with BlueCruise 1.0. I do not consider it "very limited". I have no issue with lane-keep or lane-centering.

Your understanding of the improvements in 1.2 don't match with what I've read.

1) Lane Change Assist.
2) Predictive Speed Assist (handles curves better).
3) In-Lane Repositioning.

You missed #2, and you broke #3 in two things.

I agree that 1.2 will be better, and look forward to it. But saying that 1.0 is "very limited" is just off the mark.
I agree as well. Mines probably been like 12k miles with BC 1.0. I live in a very highway diverse area with tons of traffic. I literally use it everyday and get annoyed when I can’t use it (I had the front collision issue) and find it helpful in reducing fatigue and improving safety (lot of stop and go traffic)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
On an open freeway V 1.0 is okay. Not so much on a busy freeway, even if maintaining speeds of 60-65 mph, when nearby cars are changing lanes. Under those conditions you have to take the wheel frequently and it doesn't change lanes for you. True, I rarely get to drive on a wide open highway. Also it tends to ping-pong from one side of a lane to the other. My friend's MME w/ BC 1.2 works better and instills more confidence to keep your hands off the wheel. It also changes lanes which is pretty cool.
Fair enough. My experience with the current iteration of BlueCruise available for my car (BlueCruise 1.0) is different from yours, but I see your point.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
You correct 1.0 worked just fine. 1.2 is significantly more refined and its reactions feel more human.
The lane changing works incredibly.
The predictive speed is so-so and sometimes can't make up its mind if it should keep slowing down after it's started.
The lane repositioning is blah and it don't really notice it working.

The biggest change in 1.2 is going to be the possible activation of the MobileEye Roadbook mapping.
Mobileye REM™ - Road Experience Management
This will allow every car that's equipped to map all roads and intersections and submit to the create detailed and up-to-date infrastructure maps for upcoming Hands-free updates and autopilot software.
Is this saying that, potentially any Mustang Mach E, will become a mapping vehicle? Will this data be anonymized? I don’t want Ford to know about my nightly trips to the Tesla dealer where I spend hours drooling over Model 3s (so S3XY 😀😀😀)?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The aggressive braking is annoying when someone cuts you off, but I have found if you slightly touch the go pedal it will not, then slowly ease back on the pedal until its at the distance you have it set for. Not optimal but it does help.
I do wish in traffic I could control the go pedal and let it do the driving.
Huh? You ALWAYS have authority over acceleration, braking, and steering! You can override with the accelerator to your hearts content. BlueCruise is a Driver Assistance system. You remain in control of the vehicle at all times.

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
Huh? You ALWAYS have authority over acceleration, braking, and steering! You can override with the accelerator to your hearts content. BlueCruise is a Driver Assistance system. You remain in control of the vehicle at all times.
You can override the go pedal but you have to have an MPH set for BC to engage. There is no way that I am aware of to engage BC (blue screen) without that. In traffic, I would love to be able to speed up and slow down at my own comfort level but not worry about steering. This is mainly because BC can be too jerky in traffic. I can easily see several cars ahead and anticipate better than BC.

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Software Developer/System Admin
Country flag
Last edited:

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Software Developer/System Admin
Country flag
You are correct... 1.2 stops the ping pong mostly and tracks the dead center of the lane now.
Just to be clear, the lane change is not automated like SuperCruise's latest revision. You need to tap or flip the blinker on.
Sponsored