Will other EVs ever catch up with Tesla?

Chicago-E

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE Iconic Silver, 2021 GTPE Space White
Occupation
Generator Technician
Country flag
Tesla implemented blind spot camera view on the screen triggered by turn signals in late December.
Its a terrible implementation. You have to look down at the screen and take your eyes off the road. Not sure how this is acceptable in any way.
Sponsored

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Job 1 2021 Mach-E (SR AWD)
Country flag
In my opinion Tesla has pumped out way more cars than their support/service structure can handle. They're one major recall that can't be served by a software update away from having a real problem on their hands.

I have major respect, though, for what they've accomplished. I hope they don't become a crash and burn story, though.

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
In my opinion Tesla has pumped out way more cars than their support/service structure can handle. They're one major recall that can't be served by a software update away from having a real problem on their hands.

I have major respect, though, for what they've accomplished. I hope they don't become a crash and burn story, though.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-service-center-problem-solution/
Opinion: Tesla has a service problem, and it needs to get addressed as soon as possible

Chicago-E

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Generator Technician
Country flag
Fremont California and Shanghai China are the two car building plants. Austin Texas and Berlin Germany are just now coming online but haven’t delivered any cars to consumers yet.

1969Mach1Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69mach1, 11 R56S MINI, LR LR4, Mach-E IBSM.
Occupation
Minister Of Awesomeness
Country flag
I dunno, reminds me of the old tale:

NASA spent millions developing a pen that could write in extreme temperatures, upside down and in the vacuum of space.

The Russians used a pencil.
Graphite dust ruins stuff that keeps people alive in space - NASA

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Grease pencil. -Mother Russia
Grease pens were used on the Mercury Project, but they weren't easy to grip, were inaccurate, and left smears when trying to write, especially when the user was suited.

Mechanical pencils were used during the Mercury, Gemini, and very early in Apollo, but the more electrical components that were added to the system, the more problematic both the graphite powder and the broken pieces of graphite became. These pencils were also difficult to hold, but the barrel was expanded by wrapping in special material. They were also easy to lose. So they developed various holders, including velcro. That was removed when velcro was discovered to be part of the problem in the Apollo 1 fire.

Marker pens were used in Mercury and Gemini. They had issues too, mostly to do with precision. They worked fine in zero g and vacuum, but not very low temperatures.

The Fischer Pen, from the myth, was used from Apollo 7 onward.

Another kind of marker pen was used in Apollo 8 and after.

A new mechanical pencil with stronger "lead" and better dust profile was used in Apollo 11 and later missions. The astronauts reported no issues.

Several other writing implements were used by various crew members as they saw fit to add to their personal inventory. The astronauts used multiple writing implements on each of their trips, choosing the best one according to the job.

dmasteR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Audi S4
Country flag
Because it’s not that long ago. They’ve only had a single year of profit (2021) that would have still been profitable if it weren’t for the credits.

Thus why he said they need to figure out how to be profitable without them. It’s not that complicated of a concept.
Not that hard of a concept to understand they're clearly profitable even without the regulatory credits even prior of 2021.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Will other EVs ever catch up with Tesla? LK0bP3N

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
Fremont California and Shanghai China are the two car building plants. Austin Texas and Berlin Germany are just now coming online but haven’t delivered any cars to consumers yet.
Cars have already been built in Austin and Berlin. None of their factories are offline

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

Chicago-E

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Generator Technician
Country flag
Cars have already been built in Austin and Berlin. None of their factories are offline
Coming online as the just finished building them… Cars have been built there none have been delivered to consumers yet.

gordonf238

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD, Ext. range
Country flag
with Tesla having a good twenty year headstart and being increasingly seen as a tech company, i wonder if other EVs will ever catch up with it on the tech side.
Tesla has spent 20 years making cars.

Ford has spent 118 years making cars, with thousands more moving parts.

Will others ever catch up to Tesla?

I think that answers your question. The only advantage Tesla holds presently is its market share. And that's quickly changing as Teslas no longer qualify for any federal incentives, have a proprietary charging network that's incompatible with every other EV on the road, and have a continuous issue with quality control.

Those are exactly the reasons I didn't choose Tesla.
Sponsored