Winter tires

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Red Mustang MachE
Country flag
I'm from Quebec too. Definetly going to buy winter tires and put them on basic rims, nothing fancy. With our salt on our streets in winter, using the mags that come with the car will just ruin them faster :p
Sponsored

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
I like Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires, but they do sing a little as they roll along on wet roads. I will use the ones I bought for my Outlander PHEV that is at end of lease if they are the right size. Expecting I will need different rims, although the rims I have provide two bolt pattern options.

Viking Norway

First Name
Ola
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3 - Mach e AWD
Country flag
Still no one knows the bolt pattern?
Thinking of 20” winter tyres.
Offset 47?
8jx20”?
235x45x20?

spazkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE GB Mustang Mach E
Country flag
So, I guess until we know the bolt pattern, no one would be able to tell me if these winters would work? They’re what I was using on my Q60.

3E93C4D5-A243-47CC-86B3-A5EFB4AFD78D.jpeg

5B655C3A-19FC-43CF-B49C-667778E4010D.jpeg

B6E3CBBE-B2C3-4D3E-8DF0-79E61C08F464.jpeg

Louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Country flag
I had Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires on my Taycan last winter. In January/February/March I drove that for 11,000 miles (across the TransCanada highway to Vancouver, south to San Diego, east to the Florida Keys, and north home in Maine). Highly recommended. I saw temps from -10° to 80°F. Snowstorms, ice covered roads, heavy rains, and blue skies. Always great traction. And even after lots of miles in warmer weather, more than half the tread left.

tl;dr: If you drive in Snow, Get Snow Tires.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I had Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires on my Taycan last winter. In January/February/March I drove that for 11,000 miles (across the TransCanada highway to Vancouver, south to San Diego, east to the Florida Keys, and north home in Maine). Highly recommended. I saw temps from -10° to 80°F. Snowstorms, ice covered roads, heavy rains, and blue skies. Always great traction. And even after lots of miles in warmer weather, more than half the tread left.

tl;dr: If you drive in Snow, Get Snow Tires.
So you did the southern leg of that journey with the snow tires? Over the spring/summer/fall of 2020 what tires did you run, and how did they compare efficiency-wise to the scorpions?

Louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Country flag
So you did the southern leg of that journey with the snow tires? Over the spring/summer/fall of 2020 what tires did you run, and how did they compare efficiency-wise to the scorpions?
Yes, the whole journey (including the non-snowy southern region) was done on Snow Tires. I had no ability to swap tire while I was out there. Well, no easy or convenient way.

I ran All-Seasons after winter was over. Continental ProContact somethings. I don't have accurate data on how much the range efficiency of the car was affected. I only collected data for the road trip. Lots of data there.

Average Range (calculated for a 100% full battery) for the whole of the trip was 213 miles. (EPA Rating of the Taycan Turbo is 201 miles). For the US part (Seattle ->San Diego->Florida Keys->Maine) average calculated range was 223.

After I got home, and I took the car out for New England drives (on All-Season tires), I would regularly see 250 to 270 miles of displayed range if I charged to 100%. But my summer driving was completely different kind of driving—Lots of 45-55mph 2-lane mountain roads driving—compared to the road trip which was mostly 70 to 80 mph freeway driving. So, there's no direct comparison.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, the whole journey (including the non-snowy southern region) was done on Snow Tires. I had no ability to swap tire while I was out there. Well, no easy or convenient way.

I ran All-Seasons after winter was over. Continental ProContact somethings. I don't have accurate data on how much the range efficiency of the car was affected. I only collected data for the road trip. Lots of data there.

Average Range (calculated for a 100% full battery) for the whole of the trip was 213 miles. (EPA Rating of the Taycan Turbo is 201 miles). For the US part (Seattle ->San Diego->Florida Keys->Maine) average calculated range was 223.

After I got home, and I took the car out for New England drives (on All-Season tires), I would regularly see 250 to 270 miles of displayed range if I charged to 100%. But my summer driving was completely different kind of driving—Lots of 45-55mph 2-lane mountain roads driving—compared to the road trip which was mostly 70 to 80 mph freeway driving. So, there's no direct comparison.
OK, thanks for the information. So two more questions: are you replacing the Taycan or keeping it? What's the reason (either way)?

Louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBD
Country flag
Yeah.... I knew that... I was just checking to see if he gave the same answer... yeah, that's it
Life is complex. There are always many answers. Over Simplified: Taycan was $165,000. Mach-E is $65,000. That leaves $100,000 for food. And cat toys. And diesel for my RV.

While the Taycan is sublime to drive, I expect the Mach-E will fulfill 80% of that experience for far less money.
Sponsored