Winter Wheels/Tires Fit Check on 2022 Select

Meaffe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select
Country flag
My 2022 Mach-E Select came with the stock 19" wheels, and I would like a sanity check before I buy an 18" winter wheel/tire set pre-mounted from Tire Rack. I live on a dirt road in Vermont, so my goal is to get excellent winter tires with inexpensive wheels, with with minimal affect on performance (I'm aware the tires will reduce range but that's unavoidable). For my gas-powered cars I've always gotten studded tires, but I feel like the range hit and extra noise on an EV would be too much.

For the wheels, I picked the Sport Edition A-2 18x8 (link). For the tires, I'm getting the Vredestein Vintrac Pro 225/60R18 (link).

Is there any reason to be concerned about fit? Tire Rack claims they'll fit but I don't know how much to trust them and I would really love to be sure.

I would welcome any other concerns or reasons why I might want to choose something else.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Winter Wheels/Tires Fit Check on 2022 Select 1671467461163
Sponsored

RedRocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag
The OEM wheels are 18x7 and 19x7, moving to an 18x8 "might" be ok, but it is wider and might be border line in full turn/jounce. I think you are ok in the rear, as Ford approves chains/cables over the rear tires. Those are good looking wheels for a snow package.

I'd look for a 19x7 and stick with the 19" OEM tire size, you will loose some steering/handling with snow tires, going to 18's will loose more, at some point it will start to feel like an explorer instead of a mach-E.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
I opted for TSW Sprint for my winter package, 18x8.5” size with I think 40mm offset. No issues after a full season of use last year.

When shopping for wheels, be sure to check the load capacity of the wheel…this really cut down the number of options. It’s somewhere in this forum if you want to search, but I think the basic math was to take the GVWR and divide by the number of wheels…so in our case is think it was 3225lbs as the rear, so each wheel needs a load capacity of more than 1600lbs.

OP
OP

Meaffe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select
Country flag
The OEM wheels are 18x7 and 19x7, moving to an 18x8 "might" be ok, but it is wider and might be border line in full turn/jounce. I think you are ok in the rear, as Ford approves chains/cables over the rear tires. Those are good looking wheels for a snow package.

I'd look for a 19x7 and stick with the 19" OEM tire size, you will loose some steering/handling with snow tires, going to 18's will loose more, at some point it will start to feel like an explorer instead of a mach-E.
Tire Rack does not list any 18x7 or 19x7 wheels as compatible. The only widths it lists are 7.5, 8, and 8.5. Is their compatibility chart for the Mach-E wrong?

As for moving to a larger 19" wheel size, on my road and with my climate the larger sidewall is preferable. And this car does come with 18" wheels as a standard option, so I'm assuming it would handle well enough.

OP
OP

Meaffe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select
Country flag
I opted for TSW Sprint for my winter package, 18x8.5” size with I think 40mm offset. No issues after a full season of use last year.

When shopping for wheels, be sure to check the load capacity of the wheel…this really cut down the number of options. It’s somewhere in this forum if you want to search, but I think the basic math was to take the GVWR and divide by the number of wheels…so in our case is think it was 3225lbs as the rear, so each wheel needs a load capacity of more than 1600lbs.
Tire Rack doesn't list the load capacities of their wheels, as far as I can tell, so I'm not sure how to check this.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Tire Rack doesn't list the load capacities of their wheels, as far as I can tell, so I'm not sure how to check this.
Call them? I tried googling that wheel but couldn’t find the specs elsewhere. Don’t buy a wheel without checking that spec.

RedRocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Good point on the wheel load ratings, many aftermarket wheels are not designed for a >4500lb BEV. I'd use the RGAWR rating divided by 2 (there is more weight on the back tires than front). Safest bet would be to buy a used set of OEM 18x7 or 19x7 wheels. That said lots of people have aftermarket wheels...they look better, just check the loads and size closest to 18x7 or 19x7 with 47.5mm offset.

If its a standard range select it should handle ok with 18's, the Prem w/extended range is heavier and feels sloppy with 18's.

OP
OP

Meaffe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select
Country flag
I'd use the RGAWR rating divided by 2 (there is more weight on the back tires than front).
Using this formula, I need to meet 1510lbs or better for my standard range AWD Select. I called Tire Rack and they said the load rating for these wheels is 1680lbs, so I should be good on weight.

They also guarantee fit for anything they list as compatible with the car so if they're wrong and it doesn't fit, I can return it.

The suggestion to buy used stock wheels is a good one but I don't see any 18" stock wheels immediately for sale and I would then need to separately buy tires and have a local shop mount them. In my rural area, the handful of local tire shops are expensive and tend to have significant wait times.

I've already waited a bit too long into the snow season (we got 18" of snowfall last Friday) and the goal is to get something on my car within a week, so I think I'll probably go with the Tire Rack option. I'll update to let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the advice.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Ummm, I believe the Select AWD comes with 18s, unless the 22 is different.

nIceWhite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Ice White
Country flag
My 2022 Mach-E Select came with the stock 19" wheels, and I would like a sanity check before I buy an 18" winter wheel/tire set pre-mounted from Tire Rack. I live on a dirt road in Vermont, so my goal is to get excellent winter tires with inexpensive wheels, with with minimal affect on performance (I'm aware the tires will reduce range but that's unavoidable). For my gas-powered cars I've always gotten studded tires, but I feel like the range hit and extra noise on an EV would be too much.

For the wheels, I picked the Sport Edition A-2 18x8 (link). For the tires, I'm getting the Vredestein Vintrac Pro 225/60R18 (link).

Is there any reason to be concerned about fit? Tire Rack claims they'll fit but I don't know how much to trust them and I would really love to be sure.

I would welcome any other concerns or reasons why I might want to choose something else.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Winter Wheels/Tires Fit Check on 2022 Select 1671467461163
What did you end up getting? I'm also in Vermont and looking for winter tire/wheel options.

OP
OP

Meaffe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select
Country flag
What did you end up getting? I'm also in Vermont and looking for winter tire/wheel options.
I got the same tire/wheel combo I mentioned in the first post, after calling Tire Rack and confirming they would give me a refund if they didn't fit. They were delivered fully mounted two days later, fit perfectly, and they drive extremely well on ice and snow. The TPMS automatically paired to the car so I could do the change entirely myself, and it was much cheaper than what local shops quoted me (though still pricier than what I was used to - I hadn't understood that electric cars all have weird tire/wheel requirements so you'll always pay more than for an equivalent gas car). I'd highly recommend them.