OP
eltonlin

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I ended up adding a separate Qi MagSafe-compatible charger onto the other side. Definitely holds a charge now.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wireless charging with iPhone 12 Pro stops after a few minutes IMG_1640

I've seen others utilize the dash mount as an alternative option. I personally wanted to keep my dash clean.
Sponsored

andyg53

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition, Corvette, Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I ended up adding a separate Qi MagSafe-compatible charger onto the other side. Definitely holds a charge now.
IMG_1640.jpg

I've seen others utilize the dash mount as an alternative option. I personally wanted to keep my dash clean.
I picked up my Mach-E yesterday and have the same problem with intermittent charging. I have an iPhone 12. At least I now know that it's not just me.

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
I've experienced similar issues with my galaxy s10 + case. I hate wireless charging at regular speeds anyway (would have been great for a fast wireless charging option to be included in the car.

In the car I typically just plug into my USB cord connected into the fast charger (via cigarette lighter)

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
SO, I think there are two problems. Are you using wireless CarPlay? I think that spends a lot of energy - about the same as you are getting from the Qi charger if it is not aligned perfectly. Second, the rubber mat that comes with the car, combined with your case, it's just too think for good charge to go through. It takes very little distance between the charger and the phone to get little if any charge.

I went to JoAnn fabrics and got a foot of this for $3. https://www.joann.com/vinyl-coated-outdoor-fabric-black/17687179.html Using the rubber mat as a guide, I cut the same shape out and tossed it in the console. It's about 1mm thick, and it's kinda tacky. And since it is a weave, you can see exactly where the charger is. I have not had the problem since switching to this.

OP
OP
eltonlin

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
SO, I think there are two problems. Are you using wireless CarPlay? I think that spends a lot of energy - about the same as you are getting from the Qi charger if it is not aligned perfectly. Second, the rubber mat that comes with the car, combined with your case, it's just too think for good charge to go through. It takes very little distance between the charger and the phone to get little if any charge.

I went to JoAnn fabrics and got a foot of this for $3. https://www.joann.com/vinyl-coated-outdoor-fabric-black/17687179.html Using the rubber mat as a guide, I cut the same shape out and tossed it in the console. It's about 1mm thick, and it's kinda tacky. And since it is a weave, you can see exactly where the charger is. I have not had the problem since switching to this.
Neat. Any photos?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Wireless charging with iPhone 12 Pro stops after a few minutes IMG_1640

This is a nice option. A variation would be to run that USB-C cord back to the port on the rear of the center console. The ports back there are power only, whereas the ones in the front to which you connected your cord are power and data ports. That way you would still have access to the front port for data connections.

CaptainET

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I have same problem, so I charge phone with cord thru front charging ports, except this does an auto connect (and auto bluetooth on) to android auto which runs down battery so fast that the charger can barely keep up. The best way I found is bluetooth off and connect charging cord to port in back seat.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I had the same issue with my iPhone 12 Pro. I don't use a case and it would randomly stop charging. I added a small piece of rubber at the bottom on the pad area to keep the phone from sliding all the way down. Charging works 100% of the time now for me there.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Wireless charging with iPhone 12 Pro stops after a few minutes 1617371698912

I have since added a Ravpower Magsafe charger puck on the other side like someone else has mentioned. The factory wireless charger doesn't charge very quickly and with Carplay running I barely add any charge. Even with the aftermarket magsafe unit it's a ton of extra charge, but it's at least more.

Really wish there were an easily accessibly 12V port to the front there - then you could use a Magsafe charger with a 20W USB PD adapter to get maximum charging from Magsafe. That's what I have in my i3 and my iPhone charges MUCH faster, even with Carplay going.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

Dangerfish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE Cyber Orange
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
Country flag
I ended up just adding my on Qi charger. I cut a square hole in the mat so that my phone could lie directly on they factory charger and even without a case, it would not stay charging. So I bought a new mat (since I cut a hole in the old one) and just plugged in a Qi Magsafe charger and put a little piece of double sided tape on the underside. Works perfectly.

PhillyYa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium Extended
Country flag
I ended up just adding my on Qi charger. I cut a square hole in the mat so that my phone could lie directly on they factory charger and even without a case, it would not stay charging. So I bought a new mat (since I cut a hole in the old one) and just plugged in a Qi Magsafe charger and put a little piece of double sided tape on the underside. Works perfectly.
photo?
Sponsored