Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Ford Flex. 2022 MME premium RWD ER o 1/26/22
Occupation
RN
Country flag
Ladies,
I need your perspective on ownership of the MME. I see the menfolks posting all kinds of technical data. All kinds of gadgets they use and problems I would have no idea where to even start with troubleshooting.🤷🏾‍♀️
Basically, I want a reliable car. Get up, go to work, shop, come home, and plug in. Rinse and repeat. I’m getting nervous that I may not have enough knowledge to drive this thing. How do you ladies feel?
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm not a woman, but I think your perception of what it takes to own/drive the car is skewed by the forum. The nerds/gearheads/old guys that post here are a small fraction of the actual mach e ownership populace. Ford explicitly designed the car to be as familiar as possible, although there are a few things that are different that you do need to adjust to - but not many. Those things apply when road tripping beyond your battery, but for driving within your car's range all you need to do is remember to plug the thing in at night.

You don't even have to pair your phone or buy anything beyond having a 240 volt outlet wired by an electrician.

Last edited:

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I can only suggest some test drives. I felt comfortable the moment I drove the Mach e.
it’s pretty simple to drive, the screen is easy to read, unlike the Tesla. That was a relief.
if you can handle a computer, you can easily manage this car, and if you want to keep it simple, you can do that too. I ended up liking Engage mode because it was most similar to what I am used to, and I use 2 pedal because it’s most familiar as well.

I personally have had no mishaps and no huge learning curves. It’s such a fun car. I admit after driving an Audi Q5 for eleven years with excellent quality and no problems whatsoever, I was worried about having a Mach e. But so far, so good. We have solar so we are thrilled with th free charging and clean air.

After you drive it, consider how much range you need for your lifestyle To determine which car you buy. I don’t miss gas stations after 9pm at all.💁‍♀️👍good luck, take your time, and one more piece of advice, don’t buy a used one To lessen your chances of problem cars.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
I don’t have my car yet but I understand your fears. I like to understand the functionality of a car I am buying. I don’t need to know how to change the oil but I like to understand the basic steps and reasons to change the oil. This car will have much more software. Much like my phones or laptops have functions that I only vaguely understand. I can still get them to do what I want, although it may take a couple tries.

I have a PHEV. I just plug it in when I get home and unplug it when it’s full or I’m ready to go. It was definitely helpful mentally to have the intermediate step before going full BEV. There may be more software and planning for road-trips but I’m looking forward to the mental stimulation.

BTW, I am female. The MME appealed to me because it felt very familiar inside. I think you can make the car as simple or as complicated to own as you want.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
In theory, this should be the easiest car to own. Sure it has a ton of tech and features but you don't have to use them. It still has all of the basic functions of a car but with less maintenance and less day to day fueling hassle. Road tripping might be extra work for a few years but moving over to an EV is still pretty awesome. Take the plunge. We believe in you!

Disclaimer... I'm not a woman either.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I will try to learn towing points😂
🤣

I was more referring to planning out charging stops, but that is one way to go :)

But seriously, you can use the ford nav to plan your route when traveling beyond your battery's charge radius but it isn't the best at optimizing the trip to save the most time. Hopefully it's not intimidating, but the following tutorial will give you an idea of how to use planning tools to help ensure a smooth journey. It is mostly screen shots so there aren't many steps, even though it is a 20 page document. If you don't plan to drive your Mach E that far, then ignore the tutorial and treat the car like any other car and just get in and drive it, while feeding it occasionally :)

Tutorial: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ning-with-abrp-abetterrouteplanner-com.12504/

OP
OP
TonyaE

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
Country flag
I can only suggest some test drives. I felt comfortable the moment I drove the Mach e.
it’s pretty simple to drive, the screen is easy to read, unlike the Tesla. That was a relief.
if you can handle a computer, you can easily manage this car, and if you want to keep it simple, you can do that too. I ended up liking Engage mode because it was most similar to what I am used to, and I use 2 pedal because it’s most familiar as well.

I personally have had no mishaps and no huge learning curves. It’s such a fun car. I admit after driving an Audi Q5 for eleven years with excellent quality and no problems whatsoever, I was worried about having a Mach e. But so far, so good. We have solar so we are thrilled with th free gas And clean air.

After you drive it, consider how much range you need for your lifestyle To determine which car you buy. I don’t miss gas stations after 9pm at all.💁‍♀️👍good luck, take your time, and one more piece of advice, don’t buy a used one To lessen your chances of problem cars.
I would love to find one to test drive. I think it’s because it will be my first EV. I’m trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can but I think I’m overthinking it.

OP
OP
TonyaE

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
Country flag
I don’t have my car yet but I understand your fears. I like to understand the functionality of a car I am buying. I don’t need to know how to change the oil but I like to understand the basic steps and reasons to change the oil. This car will have much more software. Much like my phones or laptops have functions that I only vaguely understand. I can still get them to do what I want, although it may take a couple tries.

I have a PHEV. I just plug it in when I get home and unplug it when it’s full or I’m ready to go. It was definitely helpful mentally to have the intermediate step before going full BEV. There may be more software and planning for road-trips but I’m looking forward to the mental stimulation.

BTW, I am female. The MME appealed to me because it felt very familiar inside. I think you can make the car as simple or as complicated to own as you want.
Thank you, I feel better hearing from the ladies.. and some of the men😊. I think the post I read about listening for the disconnect when unplugging pushed me over the edge😂

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This car will have much more software. Much like my phones or laptops have functions that I only vaguely understand. I can still get them to do what I want, although it may take a couple tries.
Actually, that is a good comparison. When my wife (who is admittedly a technophobe) got her first iPhone she didn't do much with it other than make phone calls and text like it was a plain old cellphone.

Fast forward 8 years and she uses the damn thing for everything, and would be lost without it.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Haha, I definitely agree that we give a skewed impression of owning these cars. Some of us just can't stop tinkering and messing around with the car because we like it. But one thing I liked about the MachE is that I would feel comfortable handing the keys to any of my 70+ parents or inlaws and know that they could just drive it like a regular car (which has proven true).

Now, if you get intrigued and want to geek out with us, you are always welcome, but if you just want to get in and drive, I think the MachE will oblige that as well. I think Ford hit a pretty happy medium between "advanced technology" and "drives like a regular car".

OP
OP
TonyaE

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
Country flag
Haha, I definitely agree that we give a skewed impression of owning these cars. Some of us just can't stop tinkering and messing around with the car because we like it. But one thing I liked about the MachE is that I would feel comfortable handing the keys to any of my 70+ parents or inlaws and know that they could just drive it like a regular car (which has proven true).

Now, if you get intrigued and want to geek out with us, you are always welcome, but if you just want to get in and drive, I think the MachE will oblige that as well. I think Ford hit a pretty happy medium between "advanced technology" and "drives like a regular car".
No, no.. no geeking out for me. Simple is best. This will be my first car with a fob😂

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
No, no.. no geeking out for me. Simple is best. This will be my first car with a fob😂
Well, I'm with you there - my other car is a '97 Tacoma with manual everything. Going between it and the MachE is like, well, going 25 years back in time.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
My Wife made the transition from HEV to BEV and loves the car but sometimes she thinks it’s possessed!! Lol She prefers whisper mode but on a few occasions the car decided to switch on its own to engaged. The PAAK feature did not work well with the phone in her purse. She quickly went back to the Fob and I obtained another one for myself!

OP
OP
TonyaE

TonyaE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
RN
Country flag
🤣

I was more referring to planning out charging stops, but that is one way to go :)

But seriously, you can use the ford nav to plan your route when traveling beyond your battery's charge radius but it isn't the best at optimizing the trip to save the most time. Hopefully it's not intimidating, but the following tutorial will give you an idea of how to use planning tools to help ensure a smooth journey. It is mostly screen shots so there aren't many steps, even though it is a 20 page document. If you don't plan to drive your Mach E that far, then ignore the tutorial and treat the car like any other car and just get in and drive it, while feeding it occasionally :)

Tutorial: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ning-with-abrp-abetterrouteplanner-com.12504/
I drive about 50-75 miles a day for work. I don’t really care for driving more than that honestly. Grocery runs and meeting friends for dinner. Yearly vacation, we normally fly or simple 3 hr drive max.
Sponsored