Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Ford Motor Receives 20,000 Reservations for New Electric F-150 Lightning Car

BY MT Newswires
— 12:33 PM ET 05/20/2021

12:33 PM EDT, 05/20/2021 (MT Newswires) -- Ford Motor Co.
Chief Executive Officer Jim Farley told CNBC in an interview Thursday the company has received 20,000 reservations in the 12 hours since it revealed its new electric F-150 Lightning pickup.
Sponsored

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
Well, I just put in my reservation. Does anyone have any idea on the height and length of the truck? I need to make sure this fits in my awkwardly sized garage.

My wife thinks I am nuts for thinking about a truck this size when we live in the city and maybe I am, but I do really need to at least give this thing a shot. Beautiful truck and hopefully a more cushioned ride than my Mach-E and so much more storage space. Not sure how we would handle our big old Newfoundland in the back seat though and I don't think she would live riding in the bed...
I had the same thoughts (especially about the suspension lol) but then reality crashed down and I remembered this would not fit in my garage and I've never owned or needed a truck so it would be beyond overkill for me, but the fact that this truck actually got me thinking (when no other truck has before) is impressive.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
According to one of Ford's promotional videos, this is how they envision it lol:

1621521664391.png
I read today that less than 5% of EA stations right now are set up like this. But that they are working to plan otherwise and add some stations like this to existing.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I had the same thoughts (especially about the suspension lol) but then reality crashed down and I remembered this would not fit in my garage and I've never owned or needed a truck so it would be beyond overkill for me, but the fact that this truck actually got me thinking (when no other truck has before) is impressive.
Here's the spec sheet:

Attachments

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
According to one of Ford's promotional videos, this is how they envision it lol:

1621521664391.png
am I the only one disappointed tha the truck pulled up to the forward charger, leaving the trailer blocking the back charger? I mean, I realize that station isn’t “fully utilized “ in that picture, but come on…

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Ha, well, I just measured my garage and the F-150 I just reserved will not fit. ? It is about 3 inches too long. I already convinced my wife to allow us to buy a vacation house so that we would have somewhere to charge our Mach-E on our annual trip to Door County, WI. The garage needs rebuilding anyway, but I am thinking I might be pushing my luck to ask about rebuilding our garage to fit this giant truck in it... Guess I'm probably going to be cancelling my reservation and just crossing my fingers that we might see an electric Explorer or Bronco in the not too distant future...
Do your dealer a solid… ask them how they would like it specked and order it anyway so they can have a floor model/demo Or sales stock.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
am I the only one disappointed tha the truck pulled up to the forward charger, leaving the trailer blocking the back charger? I mean, I realize that station isn’t “fully utilized “ in that picture, but come on…
You're not the only one. Sooner or later these will be more fully utilized. Also the truck needs to wait for both charging points to open up. So disappointments all around.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
200amp service, yea we're starting to push that here huh? How thick would the cable have to be to run this lol. I have some 50 amp-gauge approved cables ran to the garage now... hmm.
I bet this is aimed more towards a commercial application, where either there is a fleet that needs to be charged up, so don't want to leave just one vehicle tethered to the charger as the business might want the charger to be more productive by being able to service multiple vehicles each day, or where topping up in the middle of the day is important but don't want to pay for L3 charging.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
I bet this is aimed more towards a commercial application, where either there is a fleet that needs to be charged up, so don't want to leave just one vehicle tethered to the charger as the business might want the charger to be more productive by being able to service multiple vehicles each day, or where topping up in the middle of the day is important but don't want to pay for L3 charging.
Maybe, but the 80A charger is required if you want to use it to provide backup power to your house. Also, a commercial user that closes at 6:00 PM isn't going to have someone available to swap trucks at a charge plug. They would be much better off having multiple chargers that aren't that fast, but can stay plugged in the entire night.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Maybe, but the 80A charger is required if you want to use it to provide backup power to your house. Also, a commercial user that closes at 6:00 PM isn't going to have someone available to swap trucks at a charge plug. They would be much better off having multiple chargers that aren't that fast, but can stay plugged in the entire night.
How about a bank of chargers that are smart enough to know how many trucks are plugged in? First fleet truck pulled in at 2 pm and charges at 80 amps. Another truck at 4 pm so then both trucks charge at 40 amps. Two more trucks plug in at 6 pm and all machines drop to to 20 amps. Then as trucks finish charging, the rate ramps back up again.

No plug swapping and every truck gets some charge. And it can all be controlled remotely as well. Say the fleet manager knows truck 3 doesn't have a full route the next day then he can send more power to the other trucks.....all from their cell phone.

We are installing systems like this now for fleets here in the valley and in California.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
How about a bank of chargers that are smart enough to know how many trucks are plugged in? First fleet truck pulled in at 2 pm and charges at 80 amps. Another truck at 4 pm so then both trucks charge at 40 amps. Two more trucks plug in at 6 pm and all machines drop to to 20 amps. Then as trucks finish charging, the rate ramps back up again.

No plug swapping and every truck gets some charge. And it can all be controlled remotely as well. Say the fleet manager knows truck 3 doesn't have a full route the next day then he can send more power to the other trucks.....all from their cell phone.

We are installing systems like this now for fleets here in the valley and in California.
Sure, all that makes sense, as long as there is no plug swapping. if you can control the rate of charge through software you can do all kinds of things to minimize cost of charging and maximize the time that the trucks are not charging, but available for work. I just don't think that Ford's 80A charger was meant for fleet operations. I also don't think that the mobile chargers are going to be of much use for fleets.

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
I've typically thought that once the big names start cranking out EVs, the smaller players will disappear or be absorbed.
Yeah. Tesla has obviously gained enough of a foothold to remain in business long-term. My guess is that Rivian can survive too, especially based on that Amazon van contract - that alone should keep them in business.

But the others....yeah. I think they're in big trouble now that it's obvious that the big boys are taking EVs seriously. Realistically a lot of these startups died the day the Lightning's development was greenlit, they just didn't know it yet.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
$90K is lower than you expected?!?

I'm kidding - I'm 100% sure you meant the entry price - I'm just being silly :)
yeah 90K is lower than I expected. Glad we're not looking at $70,000 for an entry-level mid-sized pickup unlike brand R or $50,000 for an AWD electric doorstop.
Sponsored