1.7.1 Poll

Have you Received 1.7.1? And, is your car enrolled in any Early Access/Beta programs?

• 1.7.1 Received, Car is Enrolled in OTA Beta Only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I still don't understand wehy this is so important to some members. It's a car not a video game...
It is an expectation that Ford set with the Mach-E in the launch videos. Don't like to see the complaints you are free to look elsewhere. Nobody is forcing you to read these threads.
Sponsored

COACH CHRIS

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E AWD Select
Country flag
Is it confirmed that the 1.7.1 rollout was paused? I personally am looking forward to the quick-access calm screen and the Apple Maps info on the smaller display. Bummer if it’s been put on hold.

COACH CHRIS

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E AWD Select
Country flag
It is an expectation that Ford set with the Mach-E in the launch videos. Don't like to see the complaints you are free to look elsewhere. Nobody is forcing you to read these threads.
I think this is the real reason folks are upset: Ford set expectations that updates would be regular and full of useful features. It’s increasingly feeling like they were wildly wrong at best, or misleading at worst.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Back atcha buddy. I just think it's really silly to expect all ills to be fixed OTA. If a car has issues, get to a dealer service center. Plus I find it really annoying that some people assume that just because an OTA is known to exist that "something is wrong with Ford" if they do not get it on day one. Like I said, that is video game mentality.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Back atcha buddy. I just think it's really silly to expect all ills to be fixed OTA. If a car has issues, get to a dealer service center. Plus I find it really annoying that some people assume that just because an OTA is known to exist that "something is wrong with Ford" if they do not get it on day one. Like I said, that is video game mentality.
I can't speak for everyone, but it has taken my car 6 to 8 weeks to get any OTAs after release. My complaints are not about getting it one day 1 or even week 1.

I am pointing out the Ford doesn't know how software distribution channels should work in a real-time working environment that has competition that is doing things correctly.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I can't speak for everyone, but it has taken my car 6 to 8 weeks to get any OTAs after release. My complaints are not about getting it one day 1 or even week 1.

I am pointing out the Ford doesn't know how software distribution channels should work in a real-time working environment that has competition that is doing things correctly.
Again, that's gamer mentality - updates for updates sake. Or smartphone mentality. It's a car. It's not about distributing software "correctly" or quickly it's about a large cautious company trying to make sure they offer meaningful updates to automobiles that don't brick their software and leave people stranded or worse yet, cause unsafe conditions and set themselves up for lawsuits and other liabilities. Is Ford slower and more cautions than Tesla? Yes. So if that's what you want go buy a Tesla. Ford works through a large well-established dealer network with service centers that Tesla (mostly) lacks. If there is something that needs service, take it to one of those.

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
And you think OTA 1.7.1 will address whatever radio issue you are suffering from? How do you know it will?
Only hope. With 8GB sounds like a lot COULD have changed. Is it so wrong to put faith and trust in the process?

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I usually stay pretty quiet on this stuff. But I wish people would stop railing on those of us who are upset about how the updates are going.

All of us got this car because we enjoy it for one reason or for another. Some for the driving dynamics, some got the tech, some for all of the above.

For those like myself, part of the fun of this car is the cool new software features and updates that make it feel like a new experience. Is it necessary to operate the car? No! But it's part of the magic. So when we discover that Ford was not as prepared as they should've been on the software front, that's upsetting!

If that's not important to you, that's totally ok. But please stop railing on those of us who are excited about updates. Just because it's not necessary to function the car doesn't mean it's not a big part of the experience for us

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I usually stay pretty quiet on this stuff. But I wish people would stop railing on those of us who are upset about how the updates are going.

All of us got this car because we enjoy it for one reason or for another. Some for the driving dynamics, some got the tech, some for all of the above.

For those like myself, part of the fun of this car is the cool new software features and updates that make it feel like a new experience. Is it necessary to operate the car? No! But it's part of the magic. So when we discover that Ford was not as prepared as they should've been on the software front, that's upsetting!

If that's not important to you, that's totally ok. But please stop railing on those of us who are excited about updates. Just because it's not necessary to function the car doesn't mean it's not a big part of the experience for us
Enjoy your tic-tac-toe. :)

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If anyone is curious how AT&T handle large updates like 8GB or 9GB with several hundred or many thousands of client devices, I can shed some light.

I was in firewall operations/engineer for AT&T for their customer network. I helped build the system that AT&T uses to support thousands of customers that get huge updates weekly or monthly.

When a client on the mobile network requests a file, or a server initiates a push, the file is downloaded to a temporary cache server that can hold the file until the client finishes the download. If multiple requests are made for the same exact data the cache is used like a proxy so the push does not overrun any of the upstream data connections, otherwise it can negatively impact other customers.

A new data cache will only be refreshed from the server if a different checksum is requested. This helps limit the upstream traffic to help reduce congestion. Once all active clients have downloaded the data the cache is flushed from the proxy.

AT&T has made this system more streamlined hardware wise since I worked there but the process is basically the same.

For the data to not proxy cache every car would need to get a slightly different data package.

100+ TB will never be pushed from Ford across cellular in one update. Ford will deliver one copy of the data and AT&T will push copies to the clients as requested.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

I've been called a cheerleader and worse so I'm going to make an effort to walk a fine line here. There's a difference between being excited about updates (which I am - I want the GT software [which is post-1.7.1; we've seen hints of 1.8.0] and BlueCruise!) and being "FORD SUX0RS BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE THIS YET!". There's a middle ground - being disappointed, but not screaming like a madman or posting in every thread about everything being awful.

There's multiple posts I could point to that go way overboard on this including many from "experts" who have no idea what's going on inside of Ford or why. Pointing out when people are going overboard or have bad takes is not the same as "railing on [people] who are excited about updates", because one does not require the other.

I'd in fact go a bit further and say (as an educated guess!) that because, by definition, this is an enthusiast forum, most people who are remotely active on here are excited about the updates.

It's not about being excited. It's not even about complaining. It's about the tone and the content of the complaints rubbing some people the wrong way. I realize even saying this opens me up to people accusing me of being the "post police" or whatever (which is an accusation that has happened before and I'm sure will happen again, hence my long-standing avatar), but there is a place for community standards.

Anyway, how about those poll results?

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Yet you have no idea if this OTA will address any of your issues. Get to a service center if you have issues that can't wait.
One of the big reasons I bought this model is the promise of OTA for stuff like this, and going to the dealer for me is akin to having dental work...

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
@GoGoGadgetMachE @DYohn and other cheerleaders….

This isn’t about tic-tac-toe. This isn’t gamer mentality. And your repeated insistence upon this is both ignorant and frankly a little insulting.

SYNC has a lot of bugs, particularly with MANY settings not sticking, and at least some of those are supposed to be fixed by 1.7.1. I know this because Ford has told me this is the case, supposedly. Others have also been told this. Ford even released an SSM months ago saying that an OTA update would be coming “Q2 2021” to fix the radio preset issue (and likely other settings bugs). 1.7.1 is supposed to be that update.

You are not apprised of all the facts. So give it a rest. Please.

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Is it confirmed that the 1.7.1 rollout was paused? I personally am looking forward to the quick-access calm screen and the Apple Maps info on the smaller display. Bummer if it’s been put on hold.
No it is not. They didn't mention a paused rollout. Just that they are starting with the OTA beta group and Early access group.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
@GoGoGadgetMachE @DYohn and other cheerleaders….

This isn’t about tic-tac-toe. This isn’t gamer mentality. And your repeated insistence upon this is both ignorant and frankly a little insulting.

SYNC has a lot of bugs, particularly with MANY settings not sticking, and at least some of those are supposed to be fixed by 1.7.1. I know this because Ford has told me this is the case, supposedly. Others have also been told this. Ford even released an SSM months ago saying that an OTA update would be coming “Q2 2021” to fix the radio preset issue (and likely other settings bugs). 1.7.1 is supposed to be that update.

You are not apprised of all the facts. So give it a rest. Please.
:) No one is being a cheerleader. I'm only being a realist. Ford has advertised OTA updates, but not their frequency nor how fast they will be distributed. https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ford-over-the-air-updates-mustang-mach-e.html

And I don't care if you nor anyone else thinks thinks it's insulting, expecting updates to fix everything is silly and is indeed gamer mentality where patches and updates are a constant way of life. If a car NEEDS to be updated in order to be usable, then the Dealer should do that. It's called a recall. I only want enhancements or improvements OTA, like tic-tac-toe, not "repairs." If the software needs that much work then I want the car to be in the shop when it happens just in case.
Sponsored