THXDIAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VOLVO XC90 T8, MUSTANG GT CONV
Occupation
RETIRED
Country flag
I've been getting this message for a couple of weeks now. I am trying to schedule for my dealer to take a look at it and do the glass recall, but they are backlogged and windshields are back ordered. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure this out and decide if I should leave it parked until it gets diagnosed.

Basically, the first time I start the car for the day I get a "12v Battery Fault - Service soon" message. On other starts during the day, there is no error message. I have the little voltage monitor that plugs into the 12v outlet. When I first turn the car on, it is reading 14.5v. After the car is off, it drops to 12.5 to 12.9v (I'm actually trying to remember the exact numbers, but it was in that range).

PXL_20220504_002416334.MP.jpg
I've had my GTPE for 7 mo. I had this issue also. Sounds simple, but the headlamp knob was not set to AUTO. Maybe I moved it getting in or out, or cleaning the dash. But, chk to make sure your headlights are in the AUTO position (red/amber light will identify position).

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
@Mach-E VLOG where you ever able to fix this issue?
I had the dealer look at this when I took it in for the glass recall. They said they "addressed the 12v problem" when I picked it up yesterday but they didn't have the details since the body shop and service departments are two different departments. I asked if they could email me the details once they find out but I haven't received anything yet.

But... This morning, I got the 12v warning again. 😕

Benjamin Kegele

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 21, VW Atlas, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
Country flag
dang it. I keep having it for a couple of weeks now. I have to say though, I was out 2 weeks before that. It seems like since the most recent update I keep getting this error.

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
A bit of an update...
I finally got around to troubleshooting some more. I suspected there may be an app or something on my phone that was causing the issue. I started uninstalling apps and the Android widget one by one. It seems like the culprit was Optiwatt. I've messaged their support team to see if they want to work with me to rectify the issue.

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
I finally got around to troubleshooting some more. I suspected there may be an app or something on my phone that was causing the issue. I started uninstalling apps and the Android widget one by one. It seems like the culprit was Optiwatt.
Do you remember what was your Standby drain/Quiescent average drain in Car Scanner while Optiwatt was still active, and how low is it now?

There were other complains on forum:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/optiwatt-phantom-drain.18798/

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Probably the easiest way is to compare how much the 12V LVB SOC dropped overnight with/without Optiwatt.

I would check the values in the evening and next morning, but remove the obd2 dongle for the night.

Standby drain/quiescent can be checked in the morning, it shows average from last night or last 24 hours.

BillPitman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, ‘21 J2 Space White Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A bit of an update...
I finally got around to troubleshooting some more. I suspected there may be an app or something on my phone that was causing the issue. I started uninstalling apps and the Android widget one by one. It seems like the culprit was Optiwatt. I've messaged their support team to see if they want to work with me to rectify the issue.
Very interested in this, as I use Optiwatt also?! Bill P

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
Very interested in this, as I use Optiwatt also?! Bill P
The question is, does this mean Optiwatt the App for telling you how much it cost so charge, or, (i see the OBD dongle mentioned), the Car Scanner hardware?

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
The question is, does this mean Optiwatt the App for telling you how much it cost so charge, or, (i see the OBD dongle mentioned), the Car Scanner hardware?
The Optiwatt app installed on your phone - it seems to wake up and query the car all too often, draining the 12v battery.

Here OBD2 dongle would be used only for reading the SOC of the 12v battery before and after the test.

As for OBD dongles, any OBD dongle left in diagnostic port will eventually discharge the 12V battery (unless you get a better one with automatic power cutoff), so it should be removed after use.

Last edited:

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
The Optiwatt app installed on your phone - it seems to wake up and query the car all too often, draining the 12v battery.

Here OBD2 dongle would be used only for reading the SOC of the 12v battery before and after the test.

As for OBD dongles, any OBD dongle left in diagnostic port will eventually discharge the 12V battery (unless you get a better one with automatic power cutoff), so it should be removed after use.
As mentioned in my future post, I turned off background app refresh and closed that app until I want to check. Same with the Widget and same with the FordPass App. Something is draining my battery...

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
the usual suspects are dashcams run for months in parking mode... but I assume you didn't use a dashcam, as you haven't mentioned it in your post.

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
the usual suspects are dashcams run for months in parking mode... but I assume you didn't use a dashcam, as you haven't mentioned it in your post.
I use a dashcam, but I didn't wire it for parking mode. The culprit is Optiwatt. I just need then to update there app so it isn't pinging the car too often.

Mme4me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
premium er RWD
Occupation
shrink
Country flag
I've had my car for a month now and I also get the 12 volt message occasionally. I notice that whatever setting I leave my headlights on they are always back to "auto" in the morning. I suspect that this is related to the problem. I have never received a message via Ford Pass until this morning- Ford pass message stating "Electric Range Reduced." "Your lights were left on while Bruno was off and have reduced your distance to empty." Although Ford Pass shows I'm charged to 69% with 181 miles to empty. And the car starts (similar message on small screen and milage was donw to 178). 12 volt charged at 14.4 for a couple minutes, then down to 13.6. Then with HVB off 12 volt reads 12.8. Im not sure how worried I should be. Any thoughts....Eventually I will bring it to dealer. Optimistically I just uninstalled Optiwatt hoping this is the fix.
Sponsored