18" Tire Recommendations

orangethunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order
Country flag
Update: In case it helps anyone, I wound up going with the Pirelli P Zero AS Plus ELECT. Discount Tire had all brands I was looking at in stock for about the same cost (Pirelli on sale, they'd price match Amazon.com for the Hankook).

They seemed very similar in construction, reviews seem similar, pricing similar. Deciding factors were better availability for the Pirelli (every store in area stocked it seemingly) in case I need to replace one or two in near future and more familiarity with the brand. By all accounts, either would be an excellent choice.

Both have 30 day returns available from manufacturer (plus Discount Tire is generally pretty good about things) in case that helps anyone try one versus the other.

Not driven a ton yet on the Pirelli tires, but they're slightly-but-noticeably quieter than the Michelin tires were (immediately noticed radio volume was comfortable one notch lower). They have excellent response to steering input and ride very well. Will see how driving efficiency stands up but reviews seem to say should be similar to OEM.

I expect some longer life out of them, or at worst a pro-rated tread wear warranty, than the OEM tires. Of note, they have 10/32 of tread to start while Michelins had 8/32.

Original:
--------------------------------------------------
I have a 2022 CA Rt1, RWD. 225/60R18 OEM size.

OEM Michelin Primacy tires down to 4/32 at ~22k miles. Nice uniform wear, not driven hard nor like a kindly grandmother. Tread life seems about par for the course. About half city, half highway driving in Southern California.

Looking at replacement options. Priorities are:

1. Similar electric range to OEM
2. Good all season performance
3. Longer tread wear
4. Similar or better road noise

After forum and internet reading, seems my best options are:

-MICHELIN PRIMACY A/S
-PIRELLI P ZERO AS PLUS ELECT [the "elect" is the important part for low rolling resistance EV designed)
-HANKOOK ION EVO AS SUV

Can anyone who has purchased the second two weigh in how well they like them? Would you buy them again?

Does anyone have another tire they'd recommend that is available in this size?

Discount Tire has these three all for similar pricing, with the Pirelli's having an $80/4 promotion at present. I see TONS of Hankook sponsored videos on Youtube, but not a ton of unbiased reviews. Not much on the Pirelli other than a Tirerack comparison.

I'm (obviously) familiar with the OEM Michelin and have almost universally bought Michelin for my other/prior cars. I don't find it a particularly amazing option, hence the shopping around.

I strongly considered the CrossClimate2 but everything I've read indicates a non-trivial range loss which I think make it unlikely.

Thank you for anyone who can chime in.
Sponsored

Last edited:

portersFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium
One data point to consider. The HANKOOK ION EVO AS SUV have Hankook's version of noise reduction technology. This is a layer of foam laminated on the interior of the tire to absorb sound. This can be a problem if you need to do a flat repair.

example: I have a set of Pirelli tires on a Volvo that ran over a screw with 200 miles on the tire. They have the Pirelli version of this PU foam inside. At first I was unable to get them repaired due to the foam preventing the plug from bonding. I tried to order a new tire and it was a 4 week wait so I tried additionally to find a repair solution. I was able to find a place that removed a piece of the foam and used some solvent and a bit of abrasives to remove as much of the foam as they could before applying a plug. The repair is mostly successful. I now have 10K miles on the tire but I need to top it up with air as it drops 3-4 PSI over about 1 month and triggers the TPS light.

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a 2022 CA Rt1, RWD. 225/60R18 OEM size.

OEM Michelin Primacy tires down to 4/32 at ~22k miles. Nice uniform wear, not driven hard nor like a kindly grandmother. Tread life seems about par for the course. About half city, half highway driving in Southern California.

Looking at replacement options. Priorities are:

1. Similar electric range to OEM
2. Good all season performance
3. Longer tread wear
4. Similar or better road noise

After forum and internet reading, seems my best options are:

-MICHELIN PRIMACY A/S
-PIRELLI P ZERO AS PLUS ELECT [the "elect" is the important part for low rolling resistance EV designed)
-HANKOOK ION EVO AS SUV

Can anyone who has purchased the second two weigh in how well they like them? Would you buy them again?

Does anyone have another tire they'd recommend that is available in this size?

Discount Tire has these three all for similar pricing, with the Pirelli's having an $80/4 promotion at present. I see TONS of Hankook sponsored videos on Youtube, but not a ton of unbiased reviews. Not much on the Pirelli other than a Tirerack comparison.

I'm (obviously) familiar with the OEM Michelin and have almost universally bought Michelin for my other/prior cars. I don't find it a particularly amazing option, hence the shopping around.

I strongly considered the CrossClimate2 but everything I've read indicates a non-trivial range loss which I think make it unlikely.

Thank you for anyone who can chime in.
I have the same model and year vehicle. Just switched from winter tires to new Hankooks. So far less road noise, softer ride, nice handling but too early to notice range difference. The bill at my favorite mechanic shop was $991 before $60 off for cash.

ipca204

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2023 VW ID.4, 2023 C8
Occupation
retired
Any thoughts on these? 18" runflat, and damn cheap..
Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 SUV HRS 104W

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
We had a flat in our foam filled EV tires on our MY a couple years ago. Discount Tire removed the foam where the nail was, plugged it, replaced the foam and as the Brits say "Bob's your uncle." We never had a subsequent issue with that tire.

ipca204

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2023 VW ID.4, 2023 C8
Occupation
retired
well, bought two sets of 18" wheels yesterday from Tireagent for really cheap after capitalone shopping credit and amex credit and ordered a set of the Hankook Ventus S1 Evo tire's I posted above. Will report back on their performance once I get them installed and log some miles. I do not expect the tires to last long but as they are treadware of 280, but the fact that they were runflats and only $340 for a set of 4 made them look pretty appealing. Now to hunt for some good deals on winter tires..

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
One data point to consider. The HANKOOK ION EVO AS SUV have Hankook's version of noise reduction technology. This is a layer of foam laminated on the interior of the tire to absorb sound. This can be a problem if you need to do a flat repair.

example: I have a set of Pirelli tires on a Volvo that ran over a screw with 200 miles on the tire. They have the Pirelli version of this PU foam inside. At first I was unable to get them repaired due to the foam preventing the plug from bonding. I tried to order a new tire and it was a 4 week wait so I tried additionally to find a repair solution. I was able to find a place that removed a piece of the foam and used some solvent and a bit of abrasives to remove as much of the foam as they could before applying a plug. The repair is mostly successful. I now have 10K miles on the tire but I need to top it up with air as it drops 3-4 PSI over about 1 month and triggers the TPS light.
That tire needs to be replaced pronto for your safety.
Sponsored