1st sizable road trip for me

T_to the_A

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang V6 Red Candy Metallic, 2021 Mach-e Premuim AWD St Range Shadow Black
Occupation
I sell wine
Country flag
I’m an Edmonds resident. Parents retired a number of years ago to Chelan.
Covid blew out our usual family camping trip to Winthrop that we’ve done since 2001 so I figured this was a good year to resurrect that.
Well, & swing in a trip to see Dad and Mom in Chelan.
Attached are some pictures from departure and arrival to Chelan over Stevens Pass (Hwy 2, for lurkers who don’t know our roads?) Very enjoyable drive as we left on Wednesday before there was any traffic.
Some pictures showing departure and arrival from Edmonds to Chelan. Sorry - the first picture is fuzzy - was excited to get on the road I guess!

Easy drive over the pass, car drives like a dream! Arrived with no stress. Plugged into 110 V at my parents house for some of the hours that we were there in the evening. Woke up in the morning and went into Chelan town proper and found a free charging at Columbia Valley Community Health Center, quite nice of them! 6 hookups in total.

Left the car there for four hours while it charged up to about 60%. Then drove to Winthrop through Twiso— easy hour drive with gorgeous scenery.
Arrived in Winthrop where the photo of the car was taken. For our vacation, our son drove over my old car (v6 powe!) that is in my profile picture.
He camped in the KOA campground, we stayed nearby in the Mt View Chalet’s, where the owner was a Bolt owner who kindly offered up 110v at the office plug.
I was able to go down and visit with our other friends that were camping there (the entire reason why we went to Winthrop, as we used to tow our tent trailer over) and was able to use the Nema 14-50 plug at the campsite in the KOA, using basically a RV hook up. Got myself juiced up to 100% for the drive home which we did on Memorial Day.

Great views all the way up Washington Pass on Highway 20, sorry I’m not one for stopping and taking pictures. Was really fun to see the car drain down to 76% at the top of the pass after leaving Winthrop, but only lose 3% (or 73% range left) when we got to Lake Diablo which was a 43 minute drive away!
Lots of regen!!
Managed to get back to Edmonds with about 64 miles or so left of range. Sorry I didn’t take any pictures of these stats, was too exhilarated after such a good time!

Oh also really enjoyed using adaptive cruise control — what a great feature in the car just moves along so smoothly.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 1st sizable road trip for me FFD3C949-110F-49E4-B571-0102039B538E
Ford Mustang Mach-E 1st sizable road trip for me 234A19BA-E528-459F-8442-3E4AAA6AFC50
Ford Mustang Mach-E 1st sizable road trip for me 21597791-4CC6-4279-8D65-F531697E13E4

Last edited:
OP
OP
T_to the_A

T_to the_A

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang V6 Red Candy Metallic, 2021 Mach-e Premuim AWD St Range Shadow Black
Occupation
I sell wine
Country flag
Those EA stations in Leavenworth are going to be such a boon when they activate.
Agreed!
We stopped there for a restroom break, but could see that there was enough juice to make it without additional charging. Would definitely do so in the future and grab some grub in town for an even better experience.
I’ll update this thread with some of the issues I had with the Nav which were almost comically annoying. ✌

OlyPen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium Extended
Country flag
Agreed!
We stopped there for a restroom break, but could see that there was enough juice to make it without additional charging. Would definitely do so in the future and grab some grub in town for an even better experience.
I’ll update this thread with some of the issues I had with the Nav which were almost comically annoying. ✌
I discovered a super handy feature of ABRP (A Better Route Planner EV trip planning app)... You can create and save a route, including recommended chargers/charging time (based on your exact vehicle) and then "send to Google Maps" to use in the MME using Android Auto or Car Play. Much nicer than the Ford nav at this point, but I'm hoping either Ford ups their nav game or Google bakes in EV charging like ABRP does.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I too recently went for a longer-than-range drive. I left Renton full. Drove for hours. I made it to the Tri-Cities with 50 miles of range left. I charged for a bit at the Shell Recharge station for free (only 50kw). I was tired of driving so I turned around and went home. It's so stress-free driving with the almost Blu-Cruz on.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
A DCFC station in Chelan or even Wenatchee would be really helpful but it's nice to see there's some decent L2 options in town. My boss owns a rental house out there and I mentioned he should install a wall box to attract customers.

OlyPen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium Extended
Country flag
Ellensburg (at the Taco Bell just off 90) has 4 EA 350 ports, which is handy in that area.

Deleted member 9461

Giving this a bump cause just got an MME-
Love seeing Washingtonians report their cruise through that region. Stevens Pass is such a gorgeous drive. Sept (21) we went from Bremerton to Wenatchee. we drove around cause the Kingston - Edmonds ferry was a 2 hour delay--drats-- over Snoqualmie, charged at Cle Elum to go over 97 (4000 feet ELE.) I don't think the EA's at walmart/ Leavenworth were on yet. plan was go to Wenatchee, plug in at this park that had an 80 AMP LEVEL 2, go for a run around the river, eat a late lunch on the grass with the wife and dog, head back. well a gentle man came and spoke to us, asked about the charger, and what as an EV owner can Wenatchee do to improve, that was the Mayor Frank Kuntz. I tossed some ideas level 2, 3's.
That whole area of washington has some cool stuff to explore, ghost towns and what not, and would like to make more accessible to us. We came out there, wanted to do Coulee, and good thing there is electricity to charge at the campgrounds.
We finally did Steven the day before closing the pass, man that is a great cruise...and the ferry didn't have a 2 mile stretch at Edmonds.
@T_to the_A , how you digging the car now, coming on 9 months?
Lastly- most Campgrounds, when you ask about 220v, and if you can charge, they immediately default to no, we only have 50amp.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: