First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I can see if it has failed updates.
I think I’ve gotten all the updates so far. 1.6 and 1.4 installed fine, weirdly while I was at work. I just want to make sure everything is work correctly for when 1.7.1 ever rolls out, and Blue Cruise

TCU = telematics control unit or the cell modem

WSM = workshop manual.
Nice, thanks for the explanation. Is the WSM available to download anywhere? I love browsing through that stuff.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The "mdm" connection seems to be sending things to Ford and connects more often whereas the "sync" connection seems to be updating maps (Garmin and TomTom).
Thanks for the info! I wish my router (ASUS) had this level of device logging. I need to dig more to see if I can access it.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Welp, I tried forgetting the network and now it won’t reconnect ?
Does your car just give you an error message? Maybe try restarting your router as well then reconnecting from the car. Perhaps the car's MAC address is stuck in the cache of the router...? Wishful thinking, but I hope it works, although the Wi-Fi connection isn't essential by any means up to this point. All of my OTA's came over the cell thus far. Mine was disconnect from my Wi-Fi for months before I even noticed.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does your car just give you an error message? Maybe try restarting your router as well then reconnecting from the car. Perhaps the car's MAC address is stuck in the cache of the router...? Wishful thinking, but I hope it works, although the Wi-Fi connection isn't essential by any means up to this point. All of my OTA's came over the cell thus far. Mine was disconnect from my Wi-Fi for months before I even noticed.
Restarted the router, the car, and sync. Still said “failed to connect”. Then I grabbed my iPad to see if it would connect to the hotspot. Tried connecting to my home WiFi one more time, and it worked!

Interestingly when it connected I looked at the IP and it was the MDM device that was connected.

Hopefully it sticks.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Restarted the router, the car, and sync. Still said “failed to connect”. Then I grabbed my iPad to see if it would connect to the hotspot. Tried connecting to my home WiFi one more time, and it worked!

Interestingly when it connected I looked at the IP and it was the MDM device that was connected.

Hopefully it sticks.
Are you running a hidden SSID? the Mach-E TCU doesn't like connecting to hidden networks.

Hiding a network is not that effective anymore anyway. Someone with the right app on an android phone can run a scan an find every hidden network nearby in a few seconds.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you running a hidden SSID? the Mach-E TCU doesn't like connecting to hidden networks.

Hiding a network is not that effective anymore anyway. Someone with the right app on an android phone can run a scan an find every hidden network nearby in a few seconds.
No it’s visible. No weird characters in the name or PW. Also made sure I was using the correct keyboard on the screen.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Is update 1.6 thr most current? That is what mine says.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is update 1.6 thr most current? That is what mine says.
Depending on what order you got them. Some people got 1.4 then 1.6. Others got 1.6, then 1.4. They are not necessarily sequential.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Depending on what order you got them. Some people got 1.4 then 1.6. Others got 1.6, then 1.4. They are not necessarily sequential.
I got 1.6 first, then 1.4 a few days later. So, car lists 1.4 as most current for me. Not intuitive.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unless you have a dinosaur ASUS router it should show up Traffic Analyzer
I didn’t have that enabled, I do now. It’s a newer mesh one so I figured there was something I was missing. It still doesn’t list what sites each device is hitting.

Last edited:

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
I didn’t have that enabled, I do now. It’s a newer mesh one so I figured there was something I was missing. It still doesn’t list what sites each device is hitting.
Thanks for starting this thread. I went to the car and WiFi didn't appear to be connected. So, I just pressed connect and it did so (it remembered my info).

When I selected mdm9650-tcu in the clients drop down menu and monthly in the timing drop down menu in the Traffic Analyzer Statistics tab on my Asus router, mdm9650-tcu had never connected in the last month (only one month of data is saved). It's connecting several time a day now that I connected the car again.

At first, I did not see SYNC listed in the clients drop down menu, but I do now. From data in the monthly view, SYNC has connected multiple times over the past month.

So, for me, it looks like SYNC was connecting but mdm9650-tcu was not.
Sponsored