2021 Job 1 Select: Electronic-open-frunk now works with (Power-Up 4.1.3)

cmsva1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti G35
Country flag
Though Sync and Ford Pass don't have a button, I can walk up to my car and open frunk from the key pad.

I enter my passcode on the door keypad, then I hold down the "7/8" button. Bam!! The Frunk Opens!!

So, the frunk-open for Job 1 looks like it's really going to happen. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
cmsva1

cmsva1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti G35
Country flag
You likely got a BCM update at the dealer at some point.
Possible. Previously I did have the dealer check the camera fault issue. Though they never mentioned they did an update. So you are right that could be a coincidence that I checked after 4.1.3 and it worked.

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ext range
Country flag
Yeah, my dealer updated the BCM in Nov and my frunk started working. Doorpost and the switch in the frunk (which throws a warning on the screen). I added the frunk release on the control page using FORscan. Now if I could only get this to work with FordPass! And buttons on the top of the new UI near the camera one would be really useful (trunk & frunk).

FordMachEGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWDx April 2021 build.
Country flag
Yeah, my dealer updated the BCM in Nov and my frunk started working. Doorpost and the switch in the frunk (which throws a warning on the screen). I added the frunk release on the control page using FORscan. Now if I could only get this to work with FordPass! And buttons on the top of the new UI near the camera one would be really useful (trunk & frunk).
Any chance you can post details on exactly how to add the frunk button on Sync using Forscan? I am in the same boat as you and now can open the frunk via the doorpost and am willing to try Forscan but cannot find any detailed instructions. I would be new to using Forscan. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks,

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Any chance you can post details on exactly how to add the frunk button on Sync using Forscan? I am in the same boat as you and now can open the frunk via the doorpost and am willing to try Forscan but cannot find any detailed instructions. I would be new to using Forscan. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks,
OK, since I took notes on this, let me try to reconstruct it. There are other threads in the forum but probably not so easy to find.

Prerequisites
You need a Windows laptop (I used Windows 10, Windows 11 should work as well)
An OBD-II adapter (USB or Bluetooth). I used an OBDLink MX+; others might work but check on forscan.org to see recommendations.

Forscan https://forscan.org/
What's new (forscan.org)

For configuration, an Extended license is required. There is a 2 month free trial but you have to get the identifier from the software, click on a link and request the license key. It took about an hour to get the key code back by email.

Using FORscan to do updates
Once the key has been activated, connect to the bluetooth dongle. This was flaky for me and took a few attempts to get it recognized.

Configuration
This is for a Bluetooth dongle. You might not need to configure much if you are using a USB wired one.
Plug in the OBDLink MX+ with the car on (accessory is fine)
Blue light on the dongle should flash
Use the bluetooth control panel in Windows (typically in the tray, otherwise Settings) to add a device
Select the first option (mice and others)
Should now see OBDlink (or whatever model you have), select it and pair

Start FORscan
Go to the configuration page - first folder, Config tab
If the OBDlink or other module was seen by Windows, it should be in the drop down for Bluetooth. I didn’t have luck with automatic mode. There is a USB drop down as well, IIRC.
Click on the connect symbol at the bottom of the page, cross fingers

If this is working, it should connect quickly and start downloading information from the car.
The first time, this will take about a minute to enumerate all the modules - there are a ton. You might think it's not doing anything but let it finish.

You can then save this configuration. Future connections will be quicker.

Programming
Assuming you got this far, now go to the Configuration and Programming tab.

Look for the module you want to update, either APIM (for Frunk) or IPC (e.g., freeze warning)

Don’t pick the items with “AS BUILT” in the name

Click on the Run (blue arrow) button for the module
A list of all options will be populated. There are hundreds for each of these modules.
Find the item of interest, e.g., Frunk Software Button
Double-click that to open up your choices. For this one, select Enable and approve the change.
Make other changes you want to this module at the same time
Select Write to actually update the hardware or it won't take effect. The APIM (or IPC) will restart.

For APIM, it said to shut off the car and restart. I still didn’t get the Frunk button but it appeared eventually - you need to reset the APIM a second time, not turn off the car which won't reset it - use Down+Out (on the steering column, hold them both until the APIM resets.) Repeat if necessary. The Frunk button should be on the first page of the Controls in the new UI, or wherever the trunk button shows up.

For IPC, it also said to restart but that wasn’t necessary. The screen flashed and started up. I enabled the frost warning.

FordMachEGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWDx April 2021 build.
Country flag
Okay. That worked. Fantastic! Thanks so much for the detailed reply. This was the first time I used Forscan and really needed someone to walk me through it. I'd also like to thank Mach-Lee for all of his tips via DM and also pointing to this tutorial, which may help others as well -> http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573

Now to try the reverse mirror tilt and the high-beam ramp-up mods.

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Okay. That worked. Fantastic! Thanks so much for the detailed reply. This was the first time I used Forscan and really needed someone to walk me through it. I'd also like to thank Mach-Lee for all of his tips via DM and also pointing to this tutorial, which may help others as well -> http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=4573

Now to try the reverse mirror tilt and the high-beam ramp-up mods.
The mirror tilt seemed to be more trouble than it's worth. I did like it on my last car when I didn't need to do anything other than shift into reverse.
Sponsored