Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Perhaps. But why?
It makes absolutely no sense to have to fight any system. Technology is only good/beneficial when it works.
It must work w/o exception. No excuses. No reboot nonsense. Get it right, then send it out.
Do not update something that undoes something that is working. If you cannot send viable updates, DO NOT send them. Hire an old guy who knows what he is doing.
Ok. Live with it in perma guest mode then? It was merely a simple suggestion to see if it cleared the glitch is all. Similar to rebooting a computer, tablet or phone. It can (occasionally) clear transient faults.
Sponsored

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Thanks.
Understood.
But, still ask why (should I)?
My computer reboots automatically when updated. I do not "reboot" it every time it updates. And somehow it works w/o loosing any functions.
Maybe this computer magic could apply (to the mystery world called Ford).
(remembering not everyone is as tech. savvy as you or even I am [a biologist w/ some physics, but limited to ancient punch card/fortran computer knowledge] - had to work full time while going to school, therefore no time to wait in the queue to print the damn punch cards).

Last edited:

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Thanks.
Understood.
But, still ask why (should I)?
My computer reboots automatically when updated. I do not "reboot" it every time it updates. And somehow it works w/o loosing any functions.
Maybe this computer magic could apply (to the mystery world called Ford).
Don’t then. Or take it to the dealer for troubleshooting. The first thing they will do is reboot sync. But if you’re insistent upon not doing that, just leave it alone and learn to live with it until it somehow fixes itself. Or sell the car if you can’t live with it.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1) I fully understand all of that.
2) the point being, no one should be required to reboot or do anything
3) many of the other update flaws have "self corrected" (or fixed)
4) just fishing for others, who perhaps had a number 3 (above) experience w/ 4.1.3
5) I have learned to live w/ many things over the years, and I am pretty certain I could live w/ it
6) "sell the car" is an unacceptable inimical response
7) the HVBJB debacle is the only true wrench in the works

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
4) just fishing for others, who perhaps had a number 3 (above) experience w/ 4.1.3
5) I have learned to live w/ many things over the years, and I am pretty certain I could live w/ it

I think rebooting is just the simplest and fastest possible fix and thinking only Ford does this is misguided. We reboot everything from phones, computers, servers, you name it. Even my phone tells me to reboot it and clear the cache partition all the time.

You can choose not to or just live with it, but at this point, it's really a waste of time to fight it.

You can spend an eternity debugging things trying to find the root cause or just spend 1 minute and reboot it and live your life instead. Bad code is in all code pretty much.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Dude, reboot the thing and move on with your life. The rest of us certainly have.

acosmichippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Select Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
no one has ever said we should *have* to reboot sync. of course ideally we never should *have* to do that and sync would always work perfectly. but we do not live in an ideal world and "turn it off and on again" is usually step #1 in any troubleshooting process.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
no one has ever said we should *have* to reboot sync. of course ideally we never should *have* to do that and sync would always work perfectly. but we do not live in an ideal world and "turn it off and on again" is usually step #1 in any troubleshooting process.

One have to also account that in the last 30-40 years, cars are more electronic now with a lot more computers than 40 years ago with more mechanical pieces in the past.

A lot of people view Teslas are just computers that you can drive.

alangant

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Rapid Red (ordered 10/22/21)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As an old fart who remembers the early years of personal computers, we routinely shut down every night or rebooted every day to try and keep the PC running. And that periodically wasn't often enough. Welcome to the world of not just "early adopter", but the "lunatic fringe"! Ford's computers on wheels will get more reliable over time, but it will take time. I am just thrilled that I have yet to experience a truly broken piece of software that didn't clear up with a reboot or after a few days or even a spin of my headlight knob. (Now I've jinxed myself!)

Gregory Moore defined new product adoption moving through phases of customers: lunatic fringe, early adopters, mainstream, late adopters and laggards. Reliability improves over time, so pick your tolerance. I do feel sorry for folks who bought into the Mach E and expected just another car from a traditional auto company. Ford (and others) is wading in a whole new ocean!

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
for the record, it repaired itself w/o reboot.
The MO was different this time than previous (same) fails/changes: it did not appear immediately; when it switched this time, was unable to switch to my profile; took longer to "self" correct - 5 days.
Lot of patience required........

Johnny B

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD 2017Nissan Titan XD Diesel
Occupation
Retired Software Developer
Country flag
FWIW, There are have been times when I've not been able to switch profiles from the Sync screen, but using the door buttons has never failed and usually restored the screen functionality.

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
Hi. so I recd the latest update and now the cars std range has gone from a winter cold 250 to 400km, but now the useage when driving is way out. theyve messed with the calibration which before the update was amazingly accurate, now I cant trust it at all.

has anyone else had that issue?
Yes! Exactly.

I thought it would recalibrate but I have maybe 1,500 miles and it is still wildly optimistic.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I assume FE and most job ones are in the fringe category. Lately I’m leaning towards lunatic.

SebastienMachE

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Journey
Country flag
Hi. so I recd the latest update and now the cars std range has gone from a winter cold 250 to 400km, but now the useage when driving is way out. theyve messed with the calibration which before the update was amazingly accurate, now I cant trust it at all.

has anyone else had that issue?
Same here... In -20oC, this is really annoying... :(