Jerrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Waiter
Country flag
I have a 2021 mache with 60k miles. The VIN changed internally some how. After my phone no longer was able to communicate with the car I brought to a ford dealer. They confirmed that the VIN inside didn’t match the actual VIN. Ford ordered a new computer module unit. That didn’t fix it. Apparently there’s 3 computers that need to talk to each other and one of those “might” be the issue. Since the car has 60k miles none of this will be covered. The car can’t accept updates, can’t fix recalls, phone won’t sync. Somehow I have to pay for this “repair.” The two ford dealers and I are flying blind on this. The manufacturer doesn’t have any solid ideas as well. Anyone else with this issue?
Sponsored

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
That shouldn't even be possible. Are you the original owner? A VIN mismatch is something I'd threaten as fraudulent on the manufacturer's part for allowing it to happen.

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag
Weird, wondering how that happened. I thought VIN is like your birth certificate can't change like that

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I would push harder to get this covered under warranty. If it was assigned the wrong (duplicate?) VIN, that would obviously be a problem that was created within the warranty period. Furthermore, a pretty embarrassing error on Ford's part that I would think they would want to make right.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Three computers? Car, ford server and? Three computers on board or sync and 2 modules? More info would be interesting.

More and more starting to think Ford should limit server interaction as much as possible to firewall the car. Too many basic settings are now controlled by the cloud and needs their servers to operate. Image them being hacked and everyone's vin's get scrambled. That should not be possible for even one car.

I think if they gave you the vin upgrade they should help fix it. If you have not messed around trying to update your vehicle yourself It was done by them or through something they own. Wonder what the hacked warranty is on vehicles now? All my cars have been dumb (no conductivity) until this one. Keep us posted.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yeah really curious as to how this could happen.

I understand that it’s out of warranty.

But if FORD broke your car through an update, they absolutely should cover it.

It’s not like you can change the VIN yourself.

Need @Ford Motor Company to step in.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'd be curious to hear what @Ford Motor Company has to say. This is concerning. I'll keep following.
I can tell you exactly what they will say:

"That's not the experience we want you to have with your Mustang Mach-E. Please PM us your VIN and dealership info so that we can look into your concern on our end."

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can tell you exactly what they will say:

"That's not the experience we want you to have with your Mustang Mach-E. Please PM us your VIN and dealership info so that we can look into your concern on our end."
Yes, but they will actually put Ford corporate in direct contact with the managers at your local dealership.

Of course all service is performed by the dealer, but it does “grease the wheels” to get things moving.

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I'd be curious to hear what @Ford Motor Company has to say. This is concerning. I'll keep following.
That account won't do anything other than ask for his Vin and pass it on. I am very curious in which of OP's VIN they'd want though 😂.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That account won't do anything other than ask for his Vin and pass it on. I am very curious in which of OP's VIN they'd want though 😂.
Another great question will be: what’s going on with the car whose VIN he stole? Anyone reaching out to that person to see if they are messed up too?

It’s not like your car is going to alert you that your internal VIN changed.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I think you need to contact a lawyer. There are Federal laws governing VINs and I would think NHTSA would be concerned if manufacturer bugs cause cars to start changing the VINs reported electronically and those differ from physical VIN etchings.

How would Ford comply with a safety recall in your car if the VIN it reports electrically is faulty and duplicates some other car VIN?

There are probably state consumer protection and fraud laws easily violated here, but you probably won't get anywhere without a lawyer making some noise unfortunately.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I think you need to contact a lawyer. There are Federal laws governing VINs and I would think NHTSA would be concerned if manufacturer bugs cause cars to start changing the VINs reported electronically and those differ from physical VIN etchings.

How would Ford comply with a safety recall in your car if the VIN it reports electrically is faulty and duplicates some other car VIN?

There are probably state consumer protection and fraud laws easily violated here, but you probably won't get anywhere without a lawyer making some noise unfortunately.
That's where my head was at. Like...you couldn't even sell this car at this point because if there's a VIN Mismatch, it's not registerable and could appear as though parts were replaced. My highway inspection location does physical VIN checks and while this probably isn't going to get flagged by them, it's akin to something like a VIN mismatch on an engine block which will flag as stolen/fraudulent.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Another reason to get an extended warranty. For everyone that says nothing can go wrong or battery is covered for 8 years, yeah, whatever can go wrong will.

it’s a car with a million different things in it , even without an engine.
Sponsored