First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
potential MME owner
Country flag
Hi Everyone!

Hoping you can confirm my understanding ahead of actually placing an order. When reviewing the 2022 options, it appears the cheapest way to get an extended AWD mach-e is to go with the California Rt 1. It comes in below 54k, making me eligible for my state incentive, but I sacrifice the auto liftgate, B&O speakers, heated seats and bigger wheels. The main difference I see is that I get approximately 30 additional estimated miles of range.

1) Is there anything that I'm missing as the differences between the California Rt 1 AWD vs. the Premium Extended AWD?

2) is the range difference primarily due to the tire and wheel differences between the two trims? 30 miles seems like a big difference for just tires and wheels but I'm still new to EVs so not sure if that's actually a reasonable number. If not, what else determines the difference here?

Thanks!
Sponsored

adam_thedad

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select (Route 1 on Order)
Country flag
Hi Everyone!

Hoping you can confirm my understanding ahead of actually placing an order. When reviewing the 2022 options, it appears the cheapest way to get an extended AWD mach-e is to go with the California Rt 1. It comes in below 54k, making me eligible for my state incentive, but I sacrifice the auto liftgate, B&O speakers, heated seats and bigger wheels. The main difference I see is that I get approximately 30 additional estimated miles of range.

1) Is there anything that I'm missing as the differences between the California Rt 1 AWD vs. the Premium Extended AWD?

2) is the range difference primarily due to the tire and wheel differences between the two trims? 30 miles seems like a big difference for just tires and wheels but I'm still new to EVs so not sure if that's actually a reasonable number. If not, what else determines the difference here?

Thanks!
Can't really speak to the range difference, but 2022 Route 1's have the heated seats, so you don't have to give that up.

sukhoi_584th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME CR1 AWD
Country flag
There is likely not a 30 mi range difference for the AWD version given that the 2021s only had 5 mi difference between the RWD versions. The Ford website is a mess of errors and mistakes about the ranges of the 2022 models. See https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/2022-mach-e-cal-r-1-awd-website-lists-300-mile-range.10515/

Also here's a list I just made for myself of the major feature differences. Is the Premium worth $3K more? I'm doubting it.
California Route 1
Premium
Manual liftgate
P225/60R18 w/ cover
Reflector headlights
6 speakers
Manual passengers seat
Power liftgate
P225/55R19
Projector headlights
Acoustic side windows
9 speakers w/ subwoofer
Power passenger seat

Last edited:
OP
OP

tothemoon

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
potential MME owner
Country flag
Can't really speak to the range difference, but 2022 Route 1's have the heated seats, so you don't have to give that up.
Great to know! I didnā€™t realize they added that to the 2022. Thanks

OP
OP

tothemoon

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
potential MME owner
Country flag
There is likely not a 30 mi range difference for the AWD version given that the 2021s only had 5 mi difference between the RWD versions. The Ford website is a mess of errors and mistakes about the ranges of the 2022 models. See https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/2022-mach-e-cal-r-1-awd-website-lists-300-mile-range.10515/

Also here's a list I just made for myself of the major feature differences. Is the Premium worth $3K more? I'm doubting it.
California Route 1
Premium
Manual liftgate
P225/60R18 w/ cover
Reflector headlights
6 speakers
Manual passengers seat
Power liftgate
P225/55R19
Projector headlights
Acoustic side windows
9 speakers w/ subwoofer
Power passenger seat
Thanks as I didnā€™t realize there was a headlight difference but you do have me curious as to whether the ride is noticeably quieter in the premium vs the California rt 1 due to the acoustic windows. I think a review I watched also mentioned that the seats were different but I hadnā€™t heard that previously.
My lean is similar to yours, that the premium offers features that are nice to have but I donā€™t think those features are worth the 2k addition price and disqualifying me from the additional 2k state incentive, essentially costing me 4K!

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
This comparison for the 2021 Mach-E's published by Ford should detail the differences between Premium and Rt. 1, though I think even this doesn't mention everything.

One thing that comes to mind that you did not mention is I believe you cannot get the Rt. 1 in the light grey seats, and I believe you need to be in at least a Premium for perforated seats.

PaperMach-E

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 BMW E46 M3, 2020 Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Sr Network Engineer
Country flag
I changed my order from CA R1 to Premium RWD ER. The CA R1 rims doesn't suite me. Automatic tailgate and LED headlights are good upgrade.

OP
OP

tothemoon

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
potential MME owner
Country flag
This comparison for the 2021 Mach-E's published by Ford should detail the differences between Premium and Rt. 1, though I think even this doesn't mention everything.

One thing that comes to mind that you did not mention is I believe you cannot get the Rt. 1 in the light grey seats, and I believe you need to be in at least a Premium for perforated seats.
Thanks! I hadnā€™t considered the light gray seats as an option so didnā€™t notice it missing. I think the seats were supposedly different but wasnā€™t sure. Now that heated seats are available as standard wonder if the different seats are still the case.

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP

tothemoon

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
potential MME owner
Country flag

California Route 1
Premium
Manual liftgate
P225/60R18 w/ cover
Reflector headlights
6 speakers
Manual passengers seat
Power liftgate
P225/55R19
Projector headlights
Acoustic side windows
9 speakers w/ subwoofer
Power passenger seat
To clarify in your comment regarding range and the mess of misinformation on the Ford website, I believe you are suggesting that the California rt 1 AWD probably only gets 275 miles vs the premium AWDā€™s 270 with the 5 miles due to the smaller and more aero wheels?

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
I would lean more towards the Premium. My preferences are the LED headlights and the B&O sound system. I plan to do a lot of driving in my Mach-E and the sound system is a big selling point for me (drowns out the wife's jibber jabber) and night time driving there is a big noticeable difference in the headlights, I have test driven seven different Mach-E demos and the headlights do make a difference compared to the select and CRT1's.

Just need to think about the long term use, will you keep it a few years or are you looking for a one time purchase? naturally the Premium will be worth more in three years because of the added features.

Tony

OP
OP

tothemoon

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
potential MME owner
Country flag
I would lean more towards the Premium. My preferences are the LED headlights and the B&O sound system. I plan to do a lot of driving in my Mach-E and the sound system is a big selling point for me (drowns out the wife's jibber jabber) and night time driving there is a big noticeable difference in the headlights, I have test driven seven different Mach-E demos and the headlights do make a difference compared to the select and CRT1's.

Just need to think about the long term use, will you keep it a few years or are you looking for a one time purchase? naturally the Premium will be worth more in three years because of the added features.

Tony
Iā€™ll assume your wife isnā€™t a forum member and wonā€™t see this comment? LOL

I guess it is worth noting that Iā€™m coming from a 2010 Subaru Outback that doesnā€™t have LED headlights or a fantastic sound system so Iā€™m thinking the family wonā€™t notice those things but still be pleased with the overall upgrade from a 11 year old vehicle. Those would be awesome to have but giving up 4K for those seems steep to me.
I will say the auto lift gate is probably something my wife would highly value since she hates reaching all the way up to close the trunk of the outback right now. But again, my calculus suggests that she can deal with it to save a few grand.

KZ6e1e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P4X
Country flag
I will say the auto lift gate is probably something my wife would highly value since she hates reaching all the way up to close the trunk of the outback right now. But again, my calculus suggests that she can deal with it to save a few grand.
Auto Lift Gate is something I'm actually not excited about especially with all the reports of it automatically opening magically in people's garage and scratching.

OP
OP

tothemoon

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
potential MME owner
Country flag
Auto Lift Gate is something I'm actually not excited about especially with all the reports of it automatically opening magically in people's garage and scratching.
Iā€™ll note that as a reason NOT to get it if my wife asks! Has this actually happened or have people been mistakenly pushing the button on their fob? If I magically found the trunk open in my garage with paint damage, I would lose it.

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 premium AWD SR space white
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
Iā€˜m coming out of a 2013 Outback and the auto lift gate was a must have for me! Iā€™m only 5ā€™1ā€ and always think when Iā€™m fumbling with bags, keys, or cart thatā€™s trying to roll away how nice it would be to have the auto feature. Itā€™s also pain/stretch to have to reach up and close it especially if I still have other things in my hand.

Iā€™ll admit though thereā€™s so many new features I donā€™t have now that some I think Iā€™ll care about I wonā€™t end up using and probably others I donā€™t know Iā€™ll love.

Iā€˜ve ordered the premium. Other than the auto lift gate, I wanted the upgraded sound system. I donā€™t know how much I care about it, but think with the lack of engine noise it may be nice. Plus Iā€™m guessing changing the sound system later is probably much more difficult than in my current car.

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
Iā€™ll assume your wife isnā€™t a forum member and wonā€™t see this comment? LOL

I guess it is worth noting that Iā€™m coming from a 2010 Subaru Outback that doesnā€™t have LED headlights or a fantastic sound system so Iā€™m thinking the family wonā€™t notice those things but still be pleased with the overall upgrade from a 11 year old vehicle. Those would be awesome to have but giving up 4K for those seems steep to me.
Yes my wife does see this on occasion and she knows she talks too much most of the time. She will turn down the radio and i'll turn it up, its been that way for 28 happy years!

Always do whats best for you, I have struggled for money most of my life and now I have finally reached the point where I can buy what I want without worrying. Whichever way you decide, you WILL love the car!

Tony
Sponsored