John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
I have a 2022 Route-1 ER with rear drive.

My daily commute is just about idea for range: 20 miles of back roads with good pavement where I'm doing 45-63 ish. It's slightly uphill going to work, east to west, and the wind is often out of the west. My head's always on a swivel to avoid deer, but otherwise it's a very pleasant commute as commutes go.

In the dead of winter I get as little as 2.1 mi/kwh with a headwind going west, maybe 2.5 on the same blustery day going east. In great summer weather more like 3.5 west, sometimes 4.1 going east. On the freeway doing about 70-75 on a nice summer day I seem to be able to get about 3.1-3.7 esp. if I'm cheating a bit sometimes by drafting behind a truck.

Caveat: the above figures are on days when I don't feel like being a lead foot and I'm not in a hurry.

On an unrelated note, I didn't install the plastic aero wheel covers when I put the summer wheels back on this spring. So far I don't notice a big range difference from that but the weather is still warming up so time will tell I guess.
Sponsored

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Drive mode will not affect efficiency unless it causes you to drive differently in different modes.
Thanks. You answered the question that I was going to ask after I started to read this post..

after two years of mostly local driving, I am at 2.9 to 3.1 avg, exclusively in whisper mode.

OP
OP
Eric_C_Boston

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Even though the new Route 1 AWD has a slightly higher EPA rating (312 Miles) than my 2021 ER RWD (305 Miles), I think I am getting better range in my driving than in the video. It is difficult to compare as my routes are not the same as the test. I also do mixed city/highway driving, so I can end up with 3.7 Miles/kW or higher efficiencies. I also think my style of driving, forged in my hybrid days, adds to the efficiency and not having a passenger helps. I do not know what hypermiling is, so I do not know if I do it.

Since I record the data I get in the Fordpass log files into a spreadsheet, I can look at past trips and calculate the efficiency. I went out to Hamvention in Xenia Ohio from the Boston area last May. The effiency was 3.4 to 3.7 Miles/kW on the highway segments. The total efficiency for the trip was 3.5 Miles/kW.

My trip out to Edmonton Alberta and back did have some segments of 2.7 to 2.9 Miles/kW while going through the hills in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. The speed limit on the Trans-Canada in Quebec and Ontario was also lower at 55 to 60 MPH, so I got efficiencies around 3.7 Miles/kW. I got 2.1 Miles/kW for a segment when going the 75+ speed limit in North Dakota. The total efficiency was 3.3 Miles/kW for that trip.

I am satisfied with the RWD Premium and wonder what a RWD version of a CA Route 1 would have for EPA range.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
No brainer for me SR. Just estimate the mileage per year you drive with your previous cars. You get a pretty good idea.

The RWD was a more deciding factor for me. I enjoyed doing doing some hooliganisms (word wasn't even invented back day) in my yout. But nothing to today's magnitude. I don't condone these ones today.

Next gen one is a pipe dream that I posted about this before. A GT(PE) Mach E Coupe, RWD (you can turn off all assists), no 5 sec limit. Not the coupe part or 5 sec, I saw that here. But I'm all in.

Last edited:

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Even though the new Route 1 AWD has a slightly higher EPA rating (312 Miles) than my 2021 ER RWD (305 Miles), I think I am getting better range in my driving than in the video. It is difficult to compare as my routes are not the same as the test. I also do mixed city/highway driving, so I can end up with 3.7 Miles/kW or higher efficiencies. I also think my style of driving, forged in my hybrid days, adds to the efficiency and not having a passenger helps. I do not know what hypermiling is, so I do not know if I do it.

Since I record the data I get in the Fordpass log files into a spreadsheet, I can look at past trips and calculate the efficiency. I went out to Hamvention in Xenia Ohio from the Boston area last May. The effiency was 3.4 to 3.7 Miles/kW on the highway segments. The total efficiency for the trip was 3.5 Miles/kW.

My trip out to Edmonton Alberta and back did have some segments of 2.7 to 2.9 Miles/kW while going through the hills in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. The speed limit on the Trans-Canada in Quebec and Ontario was also lower at 55 to 60 MPH, so I got efficiencies around 3.7 Miles/kW. I got 2.1 Miles/kW for a segment when going the 75+ speed limit in North Dakota. The total efficiency was 3.3 Miles/kW for that trip.

I am satisfied with the RWD Premium and wonder what a RWD version of a CA Route 1 would have for EPA range.
The EPA range for a '22 CR-1 RWD was 314; for the AWD, it was 312.
We regularly have an efficiency that would garner our 2022 AWD CR-1 320-330 on the freeway.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
I do not rely on the mile/kwh in the car, it has significant error due to poor resolution. For example, it likes to only display 3.1, 3.5 or 3.7. It has +/- .2 tolerance the way it works.
Glad I'm not the only one who has observed this. It inexplicably skips some decimal numbers (like 2.9)

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
All nonsense.
Only limiting factor is the defective HVBJB.

EVnewbie3000

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Thanks. You answered the question that I was going to ask after I started to read this post..

after two years of mostly local driving, I am at 2.9 to 3.1 avg, exclusively in whisper mode.
Try unbridled. It has given me the best efficiency especially for mostly local driving…both in norcal “winter” (3.1 miles/kwh) and spring (3.5) so far. Premium EX4. Although technically all modes should provide the same efficiency(in a vacuum), I think in whisper mode the prolonged coasting with less aggressive regen causes you to lose more kinetic energy to tire friction with the road, energy that otherwise can be harvested by motor braking in Unbridled

Last edited:

EVnewbie3000

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Premium ER AWD
Country flag
so it seems the 18in wheels make a huge difference. Has anyone Premium owners switched out their wheels for the CaRt1’s and noticed that difference?

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I don't usually get 3.5m/kWh in the city much less on highway. Getting somewhere between 2 and 2.5mi/kwh on highway depending on the wind, temperature, etc. But then, I didn't buy the car to save pennies, rather to enjoy the ride.

Progress

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red MME GTPE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
GT vs CR1 gives me about 10% difference. As expected GT has better regeneration return so on some short hilly trips I got same or almost same miles per kW.

CR1 is unbelievable on almost flat trips, if I have medium traffic that keeps my speed to 50-65 mph I would get 3.8-4.1 miles per kW, same situation with GT 3.3-3.7.

if speed increases to 80-90 mph than I see 2.1-2.5 miles per kW for CR1. I just recently drove 187 miles to EA and spent 93% of my battery, temperature was 34-38F most of the time so heater works at speed 11-2,pushing 65-66F air most of the time. Speed was 80-90 most of the time in I-5. 280, 101, 85 and 152 I passed 70-80. I had similar trip about year ago in GT, it was summer so AC was on. I kept speed 75-80mph and had about same battery state 5-7%
It would be nice if Ford added a "Trip" mode to the AWD vehicles, like the GTPE, that turned them into RWD for the trip, and also added any other limitations to the car that increased efficiency. The Ford engineers know what they are, and they could be well documented so that owners knew what limitations they were getting in order to achieve higher efficiency and greater mileage for the trip. I would love to have my GTPE get over 300 miles per charge for a trip even if it meant lower performance while in that mode.

IgorKl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GT and '22 MME CaliRoute 1 AWD
Country flag
It would be nice if Ford added a "Trip" mode to the AWD vehicles, like the GTPE, that turned them into RWD for the trip, and also added any other limitations to the car that increased efficiency. The Ford engineers know what they are, and they could be well documented so that owners knew what limitations they were getting in order to achieve higher efficiency and greater mileage for the trip. I would love to have my GTPE get over 300 miles per charge for a trip even if it meant lower performance while in that mode.
it would be great for any AWD and I think it can be done just on Software level for MME
Sponsored