Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
All you have to do is drive past a radar gun. When my MME shows 35 MPH on the speedo, radar consistently shows 33 to 34 actual. My last Ford was the same. My Service Manager tells me that this is common with Fords.
nonsense ... get a gps speed app for your phone. It's very accurate.
Sponsored

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
nonsense ... get a gps speed app for your phone. It's very accurate.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but information you Don’t want to hear doesn’t make it nonsense.

Yesterday, had a local traffic cop help me measure it again.. 35 indicated was 34 on his gun. Exactly the same as my 2018 Fusion. All radar guns and my Service Manager cant be wrong.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Sorry to burst your bubble, but information you Don’t want to hear doesn’t make it nonsense.

Yesterday, had a local traffic cop help me measure it again.. 35 indicated was 34 on his gun. Exactly the same as my 2018 Fusion. All radar guns and my Service Manager cant be wrong.
1 mph difference is the geometry difference of not standing exactly in front of the car as it approaches.

This is why radar guns read low

https://copradar.com/chapts/chapt2/ch2d1.html

Last edited:

worachj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select AWD Rapid Red Metallic (03/10/23)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Used a GPS speed app which connected with 8 – 13 satellites. I was in Whisper mode.

Interstate flat terrain:
Cruise @ 70 mph. The app constantly read 70.7 mph to 71 mph.

Highway flat terrain:
Cruise @ 40 mph. The app constantly read 40.2 to 40.5.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
So the Mach-E speedometer is set to display +1 MPH faster than actual. This is due to a federal law that states speedometers can never read slower than actual, so all manufacturers set their speedometers to display 1-3 mph faster as a safety margin.

The odometer is still accurate through. If you set the cruise control to 60 MPH, the odometer will increase 59 miles in 1 hour because your actual speed is 59 MPH. You can view actual vehicle speed with a scan tool, and observe is is exactly 1 MPH less than displayed.

GPS measured speed is also pretty darn close to the vehicle speed sensor on my car (-1 mph compared to speedometer). If you don’t have the stock tires on, all bets are off.

This is also why BlueCruise works at 81 MPH displayed. The threshold is set to 80 MPH in the software, which is 81 displayed.

Last edited:

MikesMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD Extended Range
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
I run winter tires which are 18-inches on my premium (stock 19-inch). Is there any way I can modify this for next season to get an accurate speedometer and odometer?

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
I have read the range increase is because they are copying Tesla and others more on how they do the test, using seat heaters and heated wheel as opposed to actual heat when its cold. So the car is the same, you could say you get higher range cause you only drive 35mph and dont use climate.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
All you have to do is drive past a radar gun. When my MME shows 35 MPH on the speedo, radar consistently shows 33 to 34 actual. My last Ford was the same. My Service Manager tells me that this is common with Fords.
Every car I've owned in the past 25 years overstates the speed by 1 to 2 MPH. Toyotas, Mini, Dodge, Chevy, etc. It isn't just Ford. And the Sienna minivan we owned actually underreported mileage driven by about 4.5%. I compared it against a standalone GPS. The odometer would tell me I had driven 100 miles, and the GPS would state 104.5 miles. I haven't tested the MME, yet.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
This proves absolutely nothing. Have you actually mapped any of your driving, using official distances between point A and point B and then compared to what the MME's odometer or trip screen gave you?
Pretty easy to do with a GPS unit.

Mablanc

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So the Mach-E speedometer is set to display +1 MPH faster than actual. This is due to a federal law that states speedometers can never read slower than actual, so all manufacturers set their speedometers to display 1-3 mph faster as a safety margin.

The odometer is still accurate through. If you set the cruise control to 60 MPH, the odometer will increase 59 miles in 1 hour because your actual speed is 59 MPH. You can view actual vehicle speed with a scan tool, and observe is is exactly 1 MPH less than displayed.

GPS measured speed is also pretty darn close to the vehicle speed sensor on my car (-1 mph compared to speedometer). If you don’t have the stock tires on, all bets are off.

This is also why BlueCruise works at 81 MPH displayed. The threshold is set to 80 MPH in the software, which is 81 displayed.
It makes sense. It is probably why I recently noticed occasionally a 1 Km/h on the speedometer versus zero when stopped in traffic or at a red light (1 pedal drive - not that it makes a difference).
Sponsored