21P22 ... good ... bad ... UGLY !!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 3569
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3

Deleted member 3569

I want to share the experience I had with The Customer Satisfaction Program which has puzzled me :
... how GOOD is 21P22? It did increase the dcFast charging speed beyond 80% SOC, 90% SOC now can be reached in shorter time (in a 150 kW EA charger), PAAK seemed to be more stable and blueTooth stays latched on whenever I approach the vehicle. My range @100% SOC has increased to 260 miles in a 68 kWh battery and to 230 miles @ 90% SOC.
The BAD is that after the fordPass was updated to v.4.12, it is behaving funky (don't if its the PowerUp or the FordApp updates or combination of both): I am getting unplugged advisory even though it is not plugged, and charging at home spilled beyond the OFF Peak hours settings ...
the UGLY: I am getting every day the dreaded Low Battery Voltage - Service Soon warnings !!! ... and now it is starting to flash on the vehicle display !!! I never ever had this warning since I got my car way back in May '21. Checked and double checked the AGM LVB - it is steady at 12.3v w/ vehicle OFF and 14.56v w/ vehicle ON.

IMG_5181.jpg
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think there is room to debate whether or not the DCFC speed increase above 80% is a good or bad thing. Good for the driver. Not so great for the battery IMO....

When I read the notes for that particular calibration enhancement, I think it references that change or cold weather so it might not stick. Meaning, when summer comes it might reduce down to a slower speed similar to before. For someone like me.....it might not make actually make things worse since it's already pretty warm here normally.

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
thanks for the post...I go in for the 21P22 tomorrow and was operating under the impression that everyone should get it done. I'm questioning that assumption now.

Chicago-E

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE Iconic Silver, 2021 GTPE Space White
Occupation
Generator Technician
Country flag
I think there is room to debate whether or not the DCFC speed increase above 80% is a good or bad thing. Good for the driver. Not so great for the battery IMO....

When I read the notes for that particular calibration enhancement, I think it references that change or cold weather so it might not stick. Meaning, when summer comes it might reduce down to a slower speed similar to before. For someone like me.....it might not make actually make things worse since it's already pretty warm here normally.
Keep in mind that 80% is not a true 80% of this battery. Also Tesla and other manufactures are all charging at much higher rates above 80% with no negative impact on battery degradation.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Keep in mind that 80% is not a true 80% of this battery. Also Tesla and other manufactures are all charging at much higher rates above 80% with no negative impact on battery degradation.
This ^^^

88/98 = 89.8% of battery
90% of 88 = 79.2kWh, i.e. 80.8% of the battery.

And Ford may go higher.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
thanks for the post...I go in for the 21P22 tomorrow and was operating under the impression that everyone should get it done. I'm questioning that assumption now.
That is the unknown for most of us here. We don't know the REAL reason why that campaign exists. Initially, that notice went out to dealers only and is specific to vehicles built before a certain date. It basically said if a vehicle comes in for some other service then perform the software update. It further stated that vehicles must be within the 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty. It also said that notices were not going to be mailed out to owners.

Then they changed their minds and decided to send out 2nd and perhaps 3rd notices for vehicles that had the windshield and/or pano roof recall. In that notice, there was a blurb that says if they take in their cars then they will also get some "software enhancements". I presume that is the 21P22 package.

But......
My brother's car was built a few weeks after the cut off for the glass recall so he didn't get any recall notice. He also did NOT receive any notice about the 21P22 customer satisfaction program. Even though he is actually experiencing the driver's door not unlocking unless another door is opened first. If ANY car needed that 21P22 package.....it would be his but there was no notice sent out to him.

So, why aren't owners without the glass recall getting this notice.
And why are owners with over 36k miles excluded?

I haven't had the 21P22 performed and I have managed to rack up nearly 32k miles so far so maybe not ALL the cars are affected?

We already know that Ford has some difficulty ensuring these vehicles roll off the assembly line with same software so that by itself likely means that most cars are fine and just some cars have incomplete or slightly corrupted software installations. I imagine it's pretty hard to test each car to make sure the software is 100% functional. There are so many things and so many different situations that I can't even imagine how they would be able to do that.

Suffice it to say that Ford is probably just as confused as we are at times. I think it's reasonable to assume that many cars are running around with software that is just fine but some out there have some deficits and this package would help them out.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Understood.
For me, the issue is thermal management. Energy transfer is easiest when pressure is low. When pressure is high then waste heat is generated and that can have a damaging effect. Tesla's HVB is better suited to manage that heat due to it's architecture. The other manufacturers are exploring different pressures and that make a difference but it really just transfers the concern from one hand to another. So far the results are promising but there is a lot to be learned still.

Everyone has different needs and cares for their vehicle in different ways. It's all good IMO. We have been doing this for decades really. I try to avoid stressing the vehicle systems in hopes they perform well over a longer period of time. Battery capacity degradation isn't really a concern for me. My concern is that I want the connection points between packs and modules to remain undamaged and I am hoping to keep all the high voltage contactor points nice and clean with very little arcing. In my mind, those things are helpful to avoid undesirable things like battery fires for example.

OON7

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: 22 GTPE DMG // Previous: 21 Select CG
Country flag
At least for me everything I needed to be better is better.

Paak works pretty much flawlessly now, I've gone to this exclusively and I hid my second fob in a faraday bag in the car just in case, but don't foresee needing. (I got lucky and my car just came with a second fob before it was standard).

DCFC 80% to 90% is notably faster.

My front doors actually unlock now.

The only bad experience was trying to get it done at the dealer. Was there an hour before they said they didn't have time to do it, even though it was the specific reason for the visit. Did leave with an oil change reminder sticker and ended up doing the updates at home.

metalpro2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e 1st edition
Occupation
Software architect
Country flag
The BAD is that after the fordPass was updated to v.4.12, it is behaving funky (don't if its the PowerUp or the FordApp updates or combination of both)
As a 1st edition owner with 21p22 performed on the car and similar experience afterwards and a software engineer by trade I can say that is seems that the fordpass 4.12.x and onwards has only been tested with the 'most common mach-e cars' . That is not the 21p22 job 1 cars unfortunately (probably the people in the US with powerups 2.x and according module versions).... So Ford is 'playing catchup in stead of powerup' for us 'older' vehicles..

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
It’s been a week now since I got it installed and really can’t tell that much difference from before? The main reason I got it was for the faster DC charging speed. Haven’t tried that yet but I have a few trips to Orlando coming up later this month so I will stop by EA to see how it does above 80%. As for PAAK, I don’t use that anyway so dont know if there is any improvement there?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
As a 1st edition owner with 21p22 performed on the car and similar experience afterwards and a software engineer by trade I can say that is seems that the fordpass 4.12.x and onwards has only been tested with the 'most common mach-e cars' . That is not the 21p22 job 1 cars unfortunately (probably the people in the US with powerups 2.x and according module versions).... So Ford is 'playing catchup in stead of powerup' for us 'older' vehicles..
Interesting. I suppose that is possible.
I have a very early FE (built late Nov 2020) and did not get 21P22 installed. FordPass appears to work just fine. Version is 4.12.0. I think my last Power-Up was 2.3.0 or something like that?

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
How is charging at 9 kW at 80% SOC even acceptable? That's 0.1C with a 99 kWh battery pack.

If Ford can't make their batteries reliable at above that charge rate at 80% they should just give up EVs. They bumped it up to 40 kW+ at 80% which is still 0.5C - about the same as Tesla but half of the Ioniq 5 and EV6 (which I recall charge at 1C over 80%).

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
How is charging at 9 kW at 80% SOC even acceptable? That's 0.1C with a 99 kWh battery pack.

If Ford can't make their batteries reliable at above that charge rate at 80% they should just give up EVs. They bumped it up to 40 kW+ at 80% which is still 0.5C - about the same as Tesla but half of the Ioniq 5 and EV6 (which I recall charge at 1C over 80%).
I believe Ford bumped it up to 90% and now they're going to see what people do, and how the batteries react. They could then bump it up again - but they don't want people charging to 100% at a DC charger. However, they can restrict some people that "abuse" their batteries and give others more DC charging capability. Darren Palmer clearly stated that they were considering doing that.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I just had 21p22 done at my dealership, I have an early job 1 car.... which was acting a little weird after the OTA 2.1+ powerup. Things like my pony puddles not working, etc. Dealer agreed to apply 12p22 updates while doing my windshield and 10k mile service.

Dealer could not get update to complete, spent days trying.... finally deleted/re-loaded their FDRS to be sure they had the latest... and the update worked.

My PowerUp still shows 2.1.0 on the screen... which apparently has very little to do with all the internal module version numbers and update level. Everything I care about is working, so I think I'm going to turn 'auto-update' OFF until there is something major released that looks beneficial.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3569

It is quite interesting what people are posting in reply to my experience ... all I am saying that after CSP 21P22 was performed, my range is now at least 260 miles @ 100% SOC and 229 miles @90% ... in other words, from my home in Windermere, FL I can make all the way to dcFast charger at EA in Brunswick GA a 230 miles run in one charge ... that to me is a dramatic range increase for my 68 kWH Job1 RWD mach-E, before hand I had to stop at EA at The Avenues @Jax !!! I also made a round trip from my house to Palm Bay via Melbourne in one charge! ... of course our temp here in FL is about 86ºF and flat roads.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 21P22 ... good ... bad ... UGLY !!! range.JPG
Sponsored