MisterSofa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Corolla, 2022 Ford MachE Premium AWD
Country flag
I purchased a Juice Box 40 amp charger. I have just been told that the apartment management only allows 30 amp service in the garages. I know I can set the max charge to 24 amp. How long would that take to charge the Mach E from empty?
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I purchased a Juice Box 40 amp charger. I have just been told that the apartment management only allows 30 amp service in the garages. I know I can set the max charge to 24 amp. How long would that take to charge the Mach E from empty?
About 16 hours.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
24 amp charging is all I have done for almost 3 years of EV ownership.

Unless you have a very short window to take advantage of a time of use electrical plan or consistently use 100% of your battery and need 100% the next morning, you should find that 24 amp is more than enough.

I manage to charge two EVs without issue using a 30 amp circuit.

Research indicates that frequent charging with small depth of charge charges is better than batching up charging for a single large depth of charge charge.

Always be charging. Plug in every day.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
You will be fine. I do that speed when visiting "Mom" (or "Birthing Parent" by todays standards). Remember you are typically charging from 30% to 80% or 90% or less. You should have no issues. 30%-90% is only 54.6KW. At 24 Amp, you are looking at a worst case of 10.5 hours.

Xadion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD SR - Plat Graphite
Country flag
My old 20amp l2 charger from my lead did consistent 5% an hour, on my standard range battery

I upped it to 40amp to use the 32a from the ford mobile charger included w the car, I figured it would basically double to 10% but it does more of about 14 to 16% per hour in reality so I was happy to see that.

Take this one data point for what it is worth

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If you drained it all the way down, then yes 16 hours is probably about right. In practice since you can charge the car every day, 24A will be plenty. I typically never use more than 30% of my ER for a 2HR drive and will occasionally use up to 70% on a long (4 HR) trip. At 24A that would be 5 to 10 hours to charge. So, unless you have a really long daily commute, you will be fine charging overnight at 24A.
Sponsored