Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
You‘re likely seeing a 2-pole breaker. That’s how 240v breakers work. It’s two 120v breakers tied together. Completely normal.
A 2 pole breaker with handles tied together is not the equivalent to a 2 pole breaker.

Some of the older two pole breakers actually had two handles tied together, but still had an internal common trip mechanism - this is likely what Mikeho has. Modern 2 poles will have only one handle.

It is possible to use handle ties to connect 2 single pole breakers, but those should not be used on 240V loads because when one breaker trips, it won't trip the second pole. A true 2 pole breaker will open both poles even if overcurrent is only detected on one.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Also, I looked at my circuit breaker and it looks like my dryer had 2x 30A breakers tied together, which doesn't seem quite right...
That is exactly correct. A single breaker provides 120 volts; 2 breakers next to each other can supply 240 and 120 volts.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
So after playing with the included cahrger and car settings, I can't find a way to adjust amps.

The plugs that are included in the car are 240 14-50 and a tradition 120 plug.

I have a DryerBuddy that is connected to my dryer outlet that was shared between dryer and My model 3. I since then gotten a dedicated Tesla Wall connector for my model 3 and planned on using dryer buddy for the Mach E charging.

Problem is that When I connect the Ford charger, it charges at sustained amps of 30. Dryerbuddy has a LED screen showing how much amps it is pulling. I believe on a dryer plug and wiring, you only want a sustained 24 amps.

In my Tesla, I can go into the Car menu and select any amps I want. For example, I can plug the car to a 50amp wire and select to charge at 24 amps if I want. Thats what I was doing. My Model 3 also came with a 14-50 plug, plugged it to my dryer buddy and adjusted the car settings to only pull 24 amps. If pulled the full amps from a 14-50 plug, then my breaker will obviously trip because I dont have the correct wire for the load.

So I cant find a setting to adjust amps and can't use the included 14-50 amps for now. Stuck using the 120 plug for now until i find a solution. Any tips ideas would be appreciated.
While I would love to have this functionality, coming from a Tesla myself, I suspect we will never get this in the Mach E. It encourages, or at the very least enables, unsafe charging configurations. And Ford is a much older and conservative company that has been through the ringer on lawsuits, unlike Tesla and Elon who are less worried about if someone uses their product incorrectly and burns down their house

I would only expect amperage to be adjustable through communication with the EVSE in the long term

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
You‘re likely seeing a 2-pole breaker. That’s how 240v breakers work. It’s two 120v breakers tied together. Completely normal.
A 2 pole breaker with handles tied together is not the equivalent to a 2 pole breaker.

Some of the older two pole breakers actually had two handles tied together, but still had an internal common trip mechanism - this is likely what Mikeho has. Modern 2 poles will have only one handle.

It is possible to use handle ties to connect 2 single pole breakers, but those should not be used on 240V loads because when one breaker trips, it won't trip the second pole. A true 2 pole breaker will open both poles even if overcurrent is only detected on one.
That is exactly correct. A single breaker provides 120 volts; 2 breakers next to each other can supply 240 and 120 volts.
Duh. *slaps forehead* This is why I'm not an electrician.

Well, hopefully I'll get the entire panel rewired soon.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Two adjacent single pole breakers will not safely provide 240V and it is not code-compliant to use them that way. A two pole breaker is required.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Two adjacent single pole breakers will not safely provide 240V and it is not code-compliant to use them that way. A two pole breaker is required.
I think we all agree. We're just saying that it looks like two single pole breakers next to each other. Not that it actually is.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Since you are in San Jose, fyi although more expensive charging at the Water Company is 19¢/kWh, and there is a 50 kwh DC charger available when the need arises.

In the Bay Area, I found that you can sign up to charge at some schools for about 10¢/kWh, which is much cheaper than charging at home. I'll probably return this and my 50' extension cable until I find a need to charge at home.

Also, I looked at my circuit breaker and it looks like my dryer had 2x 30A breakers tied together, which doesn't seem quite right...
Sponsored