Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Bookkeeper
Country flag
I previously posted about going to the dealer that sold me my car for service only to be told that they'd need to let it sit in their parking lot for a week or two before they could even look at it (just a 12V battery issue), so that's the initial background.

A couple of weeks ago, the 12V battery message appeared again, so I made an appointment at a local dealer with a better reputation. They assigned me to Service Advisor John (not his real name) who took the car at 1PM and was done by 4PM. Awesome!

Two days later (eight days ago), I get the dreaded message that essentially tells me it's my time for the HVBJB issue. I seldom use fast charging, but I'm definitely guilty of wanting to feel the acceleration when the light turns green. So I make another appointment to see John.

Friday I take it in. John is very helpful and while I await the shuttle to take me to my office, he comes back to tell me they've diagnosed the problem, the part will take until Monday or Tuesday to arrive, and they don't feel comfortable letting me drive the car until then. They will be providing a loaner.

My Mach-E is the largest car I've ever owned. In my life I've had a couple of Mustangs, a Subaru Impreza, a couple of Tauruses, a couple of Impalas, a Malibu and a Plymouth Duster. So when he told me he had an F-150 or an Expedition, I was concerned (I didn't actually know what an Expedition was). Seeing my concern, he offered me the Ford Ecosport. I took it. I wish I'd taken the Expedition. This loaner does not let me feel the acceleration when the light turns green. It's just the opposite, but it's only temporary, so I'm fine.

Monday comes, and at 2PM the parts department calls to tell me my part has arrived. I thanked them and asked when the car would be ready. No, they were calling to tell me to bring my Mach-E back. I reminded them that they already have it. Sure enough. There it is on the screen. We'll let John know.

John calls at 4PM. He's just giving me an update. Still waiting on the part. I let him know the part was in. He looks at his screen again. Sure enough. But he says it'll still probably be Wednesday. He explains that while everyone there is a professional, electric cars are still relatively new, and they want to make sure they are carefully performing this repair. I totally understand.

Tuesday at 10AM I get a text message. "Hi, this is Carol (not her real name) with the service department. John is no longer with us, so I'll be taking over as advisor for your repair." I note that it sounds ominous, but thank her for the message. My family and I start debating what happened. Is John dead or did he get fired? He certainly never said anything to indicate that I wouldn't see him again.

At 2PM Carol calls. I have to know. I tell her that I know she can't go into details, but can she eliminate one possibility? Good news: John is still alive. So why did Carol call? "Your fob is locked in the car. Can you unlock your car and let us in?"

I'm fully confident that I'll get my car back today, and with the new HVBJB, I'll feel more confident of my ability to take it on a road trip. But I'm going to be telling this story for years to come.

EDIT: I have my car back. It has a new HVBJB. While there, they also did the 22B28 recall. Oh, it's good to be in a real car again.
Sponsored

Last edited:

spicy_taco

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
With every sentence I thought more that the conclusion will be: " and after all that they sent me back with my old HVJB, but they replaced the windshield wipers"... I'm glad at the end of it all you got it worked out, but what a ride.