Advice for a road trip purchase

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I don’t want to count my chickens before they hatch, but it looking highly likely that I may be flying about 500 miles away to buy a Mach E and drive it back home, in a matter of weeks.

I am having the dealer sign a pricing sheet with my VIN and out-the-door price: xplan, options bonus cash, taxes, the whole deal. I obviously don’t want to take a one-way flight to be caught in a bait and switch. The dealership appears to be reputable. I will also be paying a deposit.

What else do I need to do in advance? I’m going to need to charge this thing probably three-four times to be safe on the way home. I’m not banking on FordPass working so I thought I’d buy a month membership to EA. I also will be bringing a new toll transponder sticker. I’ll obviously be bringing the signed price sheet.

What else? As soon as I put my deposit down can I start using FordPass to try to start setting things up or will I need to wait?

What am I overlooking?
Sponsored

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
A couple of things to consider:
- Get everything set up as much as possible at delivery.
- There is a delivery checklist "sticky" in the forum. Probably worth going through much of it before you leave the dealership because it is so far away.
- Ensure they plug it into OASIS before you get there and again before you leave to ensure the latest software has been loaded. This will save you a lot of trouble.
- You should be able to set up the Plug and Go charging before you leave. I see you signed up for EA, but I recommend testing it close by the dealership to get familiar with it before you actually need it. Know that EA only allows fast charging to 80%.
- Plot your course early using the ABRP app and the directions app in FordPass so you know where you will need to stop on the way back.
- The toll transponder has to go in a specific area on the windshield for it to work. At the top in the dotted area near the center. A search for "transponder" in the forum will lead you to a thread that has pictures.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good thoughts. I’m going to stop at every EA charger (every 100-150 miles) to be safe. I might be able to skip the last one because I’ll have my Level 2 garage charging at home.

I’ve got OASIS updates on my checklist for the dealer before I take delivery. Other items for dealer: clean it, charge to 100%, no decals, no front plate.

I know where to put the transponder.

I’ll obviously do an inspection before I take delivery, but the risk here is that I’m realistically going to have to accept minor issues and get them fixed at my home dealer. If I note the issues but drive it home, that shouldn’t be an issue to ask for warranty work at my home dealer, right?

Oh and I almost forgot, I’ll need to get it insured in advance of that road trip!

rgparham

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
acura mdx/rdx/4runner/ ford mach e awd premium
Country flag
Good thoughts. I’m going to stop at every EA charger (every 100-150 miles) to be safe. I might be able to skip the last one because I’ll have my Level 2 garage charging at home.

I’ve got OASIS updates on my checklist for the dealer before I take delivery. Other items for dealer: clean it, charge to 100%, no decals, no front plate.

I know where to put the transponder.

I’ll obviously do an inspection before I take delivery, but the risk here is that I’m realistically going to have to accept minor issues and get them fixed at my home dealer. If I note the issues but drive it home, that shouldn’t be an issue to ask for warranty work at my home dealer, right?

Oh and I almost forgot, I’ll need to get it insured in advance of that road trip!
no problems getting warranty work at a different dealer! They are paid by Ford for the repairs.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Make sure they fully charge it before you pick it up, and check 12 V battery. You might want to test drive it before finishing everything, just to be sure it doesn't throw any codes or have 12 V issue.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Consider joining other charging networks. I’ve been a member of ChargePoint for years with other EV’s I’ve owned, and it came in handy because there were few “in network” Ford options in the part of mid-Michigan I was visiting (but plenty of ChargePoint stations). You might also consider downloading the PlugShare app, just in case.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you're getting it in a state that requires front plates, you likely won't have a choice.
I plan to pester them pretty hard about this. If they absolutely must just for me to roll it off the lot, I’ll tell them I’ll bring double-sided tape.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
T
I don’t want to count my chickens before they hatch, but it looking highly likely that I may be flying about 500 miles away to buy a Mach E and drive it back home, in a matter of weeks.

I am having the dealer sign a pricing sheet with my VIN and out-the-door price: xplan, options bonus cash, taxes, the whole deal. I obviously don’t want to take a one-way flight to be caught in a bait and switch. The dealership appears to be reputable. I will also be paying a deposit.

What else do I need to do in advance? I’m going to need to charge this thing probably three-four times to be safe on the way home. I’m not banking on FordPass working so I thought I’d buy a month membership to EA. I also will be bringing a new toll transponder sticker. I’ll obviously be bringing the signed price sheet.

What else? As soon as I put my deposit down can I start using FordPass to try to start setting things up or will I need to wait?

What am I overlooking?

This guy is driving from CA to FL in his new MachE. Has not had any issues at charging stations and has been having a great trip. I think he's just using the Sync Nav and mapping.

Follow his thread on Twitter. It's a good read.

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I plan to pester them pretty hard about this. If they absolutely must just for me to roll it off the lot, I’ll tell them I’ll bring double-sided tape.
The dealer won’t be able to do anything about it. The front plate bracket is installed at the factory if it’s going to a state that requires front plates.

OP
OP
Mirak

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That makes me very sad. Guidance on best way to fix other than going to a body shop?

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE, daughter drives Ford Focus Titanium
Country flag

What am I overlooking?
So this is doable - my son and I did this earlier this month - I posted about it here:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...4-hours-and-800-miles.3148/page-5#post-107618

Used the Ford system for finding charging spots and PlugShare app - I also have the ChargePoint app. Other things to consider include maintenance plan - but standard maintenance is only every 10K miles - and extended warranty? I went for it after negotiating a discount - thought it was a good idea given this is a brand new type of car - although you would think Ford would help if there were wide spread or obvious manufacturing HW or SW issues. Take snacks!

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Don’t forget to bring proof of eligibility for the x plan pricing...if it’s via the mustang club, bring your membership card. Also print out the x plan pin.
Sponsored