Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Standard Range, Chevrolet Bolt EV, Fiat 500E
Occupation
IT Architect
Country flag
In the winter my X has been using between 380 - 420 Wh per mile. In the summer that was 280. in that vehicle I lose about 25%.

You can monkey around and turn off heating and only use a heated seat and play with it and get it better, because the heater is a big draw as heating air is really inefficent for electric heaters and the lack of waste heat from the motors makes it harder to not do that.

My Bolt EV range goes from about 230 to 180, so about 25% loss there too.

This is North Carolina, where 'cold' is the 20s. I garage my cars, so they have yet to be that cold, usually in the 50s when I leave my garage.

the range loss makes you stare at the dash a lot, but honestly didn't hurt us at all on a road trip. I admit to being older, but driving non stop for more than 200 miles at legal speeds is not something I enjoy doing very often, and my wife and kids have smaller bladders than I do. or i want a drink or snack anyway, so stopping for 15 - 25 min to bump it back to 80% while I pee and search for snacks wasn't a big deal at all.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I like watching real-world videos people post to YouTube that show miles/kWh on the dash at various speeds. To me that's the best way to really judge the wildly varying numbers reported, so we can see what conditions they're really using.

Here's another good one for the Bolt. I think I read the Bolt uses the same batteries that the Mach-e will. It's a different vehicle, of course (smaller, lighter, probably not as aerodynamic), but it's a reasonable measuring point with lots of real-life data in the US. (Teslas can make for inapt benchmarks because of their better battery technology.)

Anyway, this video is especially interesting to me as it not only shows his sample drive, but the previous 1137 miles he says his wife put on it with no regard to driving more efficiently or carefully or turning off accessories. In other words, normal ICE driving. The reading for those 1137 miles: 2.2 miles/kWh.

Then he does a 75 mile test, mostly urban highway but lots of slowing and some stops. He said "70 MPH" but rarely did it appear he got going that fast. The numerous clips he showed look more like an average of maybe 60-65. He also did many of the "right things" to boost his efficiency. For those 75 miles, he got 3.6 miles/kWh.

It's a great illustration of the wide variance. Some people even report getting over 4 in their Bolts. But that 2.2 mile number (on a large 1000+ mile sample) for uncompromised driving is an eye-opener of just how far range can drop.

OP
OP
timbop

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It's a great illustration of the wide variance. Some people even report getting over 4 in their Bolts. But that 2.2 mile number (on a large 1000+ mile sample) for uncompromised driving is an eye-opener of just how far range can drop.
Watching him switch between drive and Low to inhibit/allow the regenerative braking, I wonder if his wife just uses drive all the time out of habit/preference. If she hits a lot of stop and go (and in NJ who doesn't) without the regen, that could explain a lot of the lost range.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Watching him switch between drive and Low to inhibit/allow the regenerative braking, I wonder if his wife just uses drive all the time out of habit/preference. If she hits a lot of stop and go (and in NJ who doesn't) without the regen, that could explain a lot of the lost range.
Could be. For it to fall all the way to 2.2 over such a large sample size (1137 miles), I would hope you'd have to do nearly everything "wrong" to push it that low. That's pretty abysmal, especially for a vehicle that many tout their 4.0-5.0 experiences in. That's a huge 50% haircut from high to low conditions.

I'd be inclined to throw it out as an outlier if it were 50 miles or something. But 1137 is a huge sample size. Hard to do so much so "wrong" for that many miles. Which leads me to believe it really could get that bad if you just decide to drive the vehicle normally without making BEV compromises.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
2.2 miles/kWh is cold weather driving. Turn the heat on and the value on the dash does a nosedive.

I can easily hit 3 miles/kWh doing 70 mph in the summer with the A/C on.

Yeah I often get 4 m/kWh in the summer but not on the freeway.

A GM engineer stated that if you drove a Bolt full throttle starting with a full battery you'd get 180 miles out of it.
Sponsored