Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD, 2016 Audi A3
Occupation
Retired government
Country flag
I'm just curious how the compressor and Fiz-a-Flat worked out. I was also wondering how well the compressor worked with filling a flat tire with the weight of the vehicle on it. I've had my share of flat tires--using a spare--never with the Fix-a-Flat deal tho....
Sponsored

bballpirate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I used the compressor with my flat. I used my own patch kit. The compressor did its job but was very slow and got very hot.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
The slime is only good for small punctures. The compressor will work, weight of the car is irrelevant.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
With a flat tire, the weight of the car, which the tire is lifting, impacts the compressor.

With an inflated tire, adding air isn't impacted because the car is already lifted.

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=22552&t=does-weight-on-a-tire-affect-pressure
In that example they talk about pumping up to a smaller psi and using the weight of the vehicle to increase the pressure, which realistically would be what-a couple psi?
psi is psi, doesn’t matter what weight on top because the psi already reflects that. If the compressor is capable of 40 psi it doesn’t care how much weight is on it, it’ll reach 40psi even if it takes a second longer. So yes In the real world it’s irrelevant.

OP
OP
Flint302

Flint302

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD, 2016 Audi A3
Occupation
Retired government
Country flag
Thanks for the insight. I was tempted to pick up a back-up compressor; however, I think I'll hold off--pending any negative feedback.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I got a screw in a tire but didn’t use the compressor. I just took it to a tire shop for a patch. The first tire shop didn’t want to touch my car because of their lack of experience with one. The second was a hole in the wall who immediately saw the arrows and said it was no problem. They got a rubber puck, jacked up the corners, pulled the tire, and patched it. Then they asked me the torque spec for the wheel. ?‍♂?

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
I've got a slow leak in my drivers side rear tire that I cant find anything causing. Even tightened the valve core (but haven't replaced it yet). Scared to death to take it in for inspection at a shop with a water tank because of the lift points. It would certainly have been nicer if they included a jack and/or spare for times like this.

Skelton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Volvo XC60, 2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Got a good-sized bolt near the sidewall. Close enough that I didn't bother with the fix-a-flat. Before the tow truck came though I used the compressor to fill up the tire, so we could pull it on the flatbed easily. No issues, but it did get a little slow toward the end.

Technically I filled the tire up three times since it was a fast leak, and the towing company gave me a few BS arrival times.

For what it's worth, the Ford Roadside service was easy enough. It didn't work to start from the app, but I called the line and they texted me a URL that did. I wish the towing company was better, but in truth I was working from home so the 3.5 hours before arrival didn't impact me much. That they kept saying they were "en route - arrival 30 minutes" was pretty frustrating though. Not sure when they would've come if I didn't call.

Infinite_Jester

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 2011 Chevy Suburban, 1966 Caddy
Country flag
I had a big tear in the driver rear this past weekend, on the sidewall, of mysterious origin. Limped to Pep Boys and got a replacement tire. Today the passenger rear is low. Again, didn't run over anything that I know of. ~9800 miles on the car, AWD.

XCommunicado

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium eAWD Star White
Country flag
I'm reading this thread and I had a similar experience...driving on a main road doing 45mph and barely felt a pot hole...then immediately I hear a shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh pulled over and WTF there's like a tear in the sidewall. Thankfully I was able to limp home and park my car, I was about 1.5mi from the house. Called Mavis and Discount Tire here in Atlanta and both didn't have the right "capacity" rating (103H) so one guy said to call the dealership, did that and waiting to hear from them so I can take the tire off and take it to them for replacement.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Got a screw in a tire. Took car to a big tire dealer who was reluctant to lift the car because it was their first one (I waited there for over half an hour before they told me this). They filled up the tire again so I could try another shop. Went to a little hole in the wall used tire shop and they fixed me up right away without any issues lifting the car. I just handed them my lifting pucks and they went at it.. ??

Green Machine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 250, 2022 GT 4, 2021 Mache GT, 2024 Z06
Occupation
Management
Country flag
I'm just curious how the compressor and Fiz-a-Flat worked out. I was also wondering how well the compressor worked with filling a flat tire with the weight of the vehicle on it. I've had my share of flat tires--using a spare--never with the Fix-a-Flat deal tho....
I got a flat in January, but the tire blew when I hit a pot hole. I live in Washington and we spend road tax on bike lanes not asphalt repair. With a flat we had to have it towed, the tow went well and the local dealer got my tire replaced in a couple days. Definitely not as easy as the old spare.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I picked up a tire repair kit from Boulder Tools. The quality seems good and it is compact. The only issue is the cutting tool but a better utility knife is an easy thing to add to this kit. Others have recommended Western Weld as quality kit but I wanted something just a bit more compact. I would use the kit if I were out in the middle of nowhere and it was a tread puncture. Otherwise, that is why I have AAA and a tow insurance option with my car insurance. I have never liked the sealing lubricants. If you read the instructions, they are limited to how long you can use them without really repairing the tire. I would just rather quickly repair the tire on the road or have a tire shop do it, depending upon circumstances.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I picked up a tire repair kit from Boulder Tools. The quality seems good and it is compact. The only issue is the cutting tool but a better utility knife is an easy thing to add to this kit. Others have recommended Western Weld as quality kit but I wanted something just a bit more compact. I would use the kit if I were out in the middle of nowhere and it was a tread puncture. Otherwise, that is why I have AAA and a tow insurance option with my car insurance. I have never liked the sealing lubricants. If you read the instructions, they are limited to how long you can use them without really repairing the tire. I would just rather quickly repair the tire on the road or have a tire shop do it, depending upon circumstances.
Ford provides free roadside assistance, including towing, for 5 years. You're paying for two other towing services...
Sponsored