Anyone doing Ford Options?

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
To be fair, these guys seem to wait for the info from Ford, vs. us who hang on every bit as excited customers. But still . . .
I've talked to my sales representative specifically on that topic. She said she tries to stay off the internet because of the rumors, speculation, and misinformation out there. She always wants it straight from the horse's mouth.

(Ha, see what I did there! Thank you, you can buy my CD as you exit out the back.)
Sponsored

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I've talked to my sales representative specifically on that topic. She said she tries to stay off the internet because of the rumors, speculation, and misinformation out there. She always wants it straight from the horse's mouth.

(Ha, see what I did there! Thank you, you can buy my CD as you exit out the back.)
Except when they don’t even look at the horse’s own website to see info about the pony!?

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Woof .. those "residual" values are awful. 59k configured Premium ER AWD (infinite blue and white interior) as I was going to buy comes up to a $1,016 payment for 36 month, 12k miles lease. Ballon payment amount is 25k. They are expecting nearly 35k in depreciation for 3 years 36k miles. That's like a ~40% residual.
It’s a little bit more than 40%, since you have to account for the $7500 tax credit as a cash flow or reducing the 59k price of the vehicle.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
It’s a little bit more than 40%, since you have to account for the $7500 tax credit as a cash flow or reducing the 59k price of the vehicle.
I think they always err on the cautious side. My current Kuga had a balloon payment of ÂŁ12000 after 3 years on 0%. When it was due for payment my dealer was prepared to offer me ÂŁ16000 for it so I would have 'made' ÂŁ4000. Paid it off and kept the car for part ex against my new MME.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
Yes and no. The tax credit isnt' a guarantee. You have to have enough tax liability and receive the car before it's phased out. So it's still a 40% residual with some potential mitigating factors.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I'll be considering "Options" but I would like to put more down to have a lower payment. Lowering or raising the residual doesn't change the overall cost. I like to have "Options" because if it turns out to be a POS then you can treat it like a lease and give it back. I don't think it will and I plan on keeping the MME for a long time. We can't get away from the basic issue that drives the high payments, that's the high price.

I'd love to see zero percent interest on these plans.

I'm leasing a Bolt for the wife. It has a really low payment. I know that the car will be worth way less than the buyout at the end of the lease. I don't like that because we like the car and want to keep it. I'm not going to give them $5k more than street value, I'll just turn it in. I'd rather have a contract that is realistic or gives me equity when complete. ...Otherwise, you are just renting the car. I don't need to rent a car.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
I'll be considering "Options" but I would like to put more down to have a lower payment. Lowering or raising the residual doesn't change the overall cost. I like to have "Options" because if it turns out to be a POS then you can treat it like a lease and give it back. I don't think it will and I plan on keeping the MME for a long time. We can't get away from the basic issue that drives the high payments, that's the high price.

I'd love to see zero percent interest on these plans.

I'm leasing a Bolt for the wife. It has a really low payment. I know that the car will be worth way less than the buyout at the end of the lease. I don't like that because we like the car and want to keep it. I'm not going to give them $5k more than street value, I'll just turn it in. I'd rather have a contract that is realistic or gives me equity when complete. ...Otherwise, you are just renting the car. I don't need to rent a car.
With options there is a maximum amount you can pay as a 'deposit'. Here in the UK it is 35% I believe. Have no idea whether it is the same on your side of the pond. I am sure there is someone on here that will be able to tell you for sure

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Yes, and that limit on the downpayment is too low. If I have a high valued trade-in, are they going to give me cash back? A one-pay option would be good if there aren't extra fees like many leases have.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Yes and no. The tax credit isnt' a guarantee. You have to have enough tax liability and receive the car before it's phased out. So it's still a 40% residual with some potential mitigating factors.
Of course. I’m just assuming the value proposition changes significantly for someone who can’t get the credit, perhaps in that case the Model Y would have an edge. Basically, as long as that tax credit is still active, the effective price on the used market drops instantly by that tax credit, as soon as you take ownership of it. This is the instant depreciation that exists when tax credits are available.
But Ford knows you’re most likely going to qualify for the credit, and I would expect that assumption is built in to the residual. The vehicle is marked up to account for it. Put another way, that tax credit will for sure be gone in three years. They’d have to drop the price on a similar vehicle (outside of price drops due to cost efficiency) to stay competitive. At that point, the premium ER maybe starts around 52k instead, and accordingly a customer’s decision to keep or return the car would be based on that knowledge as well. If that residual is set too high less folks would make the balloon payment to keep the vehicle.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I researched the Options example that Ford provides on the order page. It is quoting 682/mo with 4500 down. I don’t know if it’s including sales tax or not. (This is even including the phantom 2.5k incentive which may or may not be available come delivery time). Basically... I don’t know that it’s a good deal if you have no intention of keeping it after 3 or 4 years due to the low residual. If you are fairly sure you want to keep it, and just want some downside protection in the event that the depreciation is more severe, then options is actually a pretty good way to buy it, primarily due to the timing of the cash flows.

For those considering options with no intention to purchase at the end... just for simplicity and taking the 7500 on a straight line basis over 36 months, it’s 482/mo. (At least on my calculator). A similar closed end lease on a MY LR AWD is ~500/mo, which is already not that great of a deal since it’s closed end.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Lots of incentives on other BEVs are tilting the lease vs buy one way or the other:

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...st-buying-but-leasing-remains-better-for-most

EV deals: Leaf, i3, I-Pace incentives boost buying, but leasing remains better for most
avatar-image-for-stephed_100440631_s.jpg

STEPHEN EDELSTEIN AUGUST 19, 2020

The advantages between leasing versus buying electric cars are currently blurred by some especially strong sales incentives.

The Nissan Leaf is currently eligible for 0% APR financing for 72 months, plus a $500 financing bonus. Nissan is also offering a $4,000 rebate in August, which is $1,000 more than last month, and the most seen to date, according to our partner site CarsDirect. The best deal for buying a new Leaf in August 2019 was 0% APR for 36 months, with a $1,000 bonus, the website noted.

Similarly, the BMW i3 is currently eligible for 0% APR financing for 60 months, compared to 3.75% in August 2019.

The Jaguar I-Pace currently offers a choice of 0% APR financing for 72 months or a $5,000 unadvertised credit, according to CarsDirect. A year ago, the best offer was 2.9% APR financing for 60 months with no credit. The difference in financing offers equates to a monthly payment $283 lower than in August 2019.

bmw-i3_100731137_l.jpg
2020 BMW i3

Jaguar has been fairly aggressive with incentives for the I-Pace, using discounts to target Tesla owners. Some extensive changes to the I-Pace are also on the way for the 2021 model year, but the revamped version isn't here yet.

On the leasing side, the Chevrolet Bolt EV is a good deal. General Motors no longer qualifies for the full federal EV tax credit, but nationally its finance arm is currently offering $7,250 in savings on Bolt EV leases.

Regional deals can be even better. In San Francisco, the base LT trim level is available to lease at $199 a month for 36 months, with $1,599 down, when coming from another lease. That works out to an effective monthly cost of $243, or $7 less than a Honda Fit EX despite the Bolt EV's $18,000-higher base price, according to CarsDirect.

Leasing are often subsidized and can help soften the steep depreciation with some creative math. Non-Tesla electric cars generally lose value faster than comparable internal-combustion models, although they seem to have adjusted upward slightly over the past couple of years.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Lots of incentives on other BEVs are tilting the lease vs buy one way or the other:

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...st-buying-but-leasing-remains-better-for-most

EV deals: Leaf, i3, I-Pace incentives boost buying, but leasing remains better for most
Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone doing Ford Options? bmw-i3_100731137_l

STEPHEN EDELSTEIN AUGUST 19, 2020

The advantages between leasing versus buying electric cars are currently blurred by some especially strong sales incentives.

The Nissan Leaf is currently eligible for 0% APR financing for 72 months, plus a $500 financing bonus. Nissan is also offering a $4,000 rebate in August, which is $1,000 more than last month, and the most seen to date, according to our partner site CarsDirect. The best deal for buying a new Leaf in August 2019 was 0% APR for 36 months, with a $1,000 bonus, the website noted.

Similarly, the BMW i3 is currently eligible for 0% APR financing for 60 months, compared to 3.75% in August 2019.

The Jaguar I-Pace currently offers a choice of 0% APR financing for 72 months or a $5,000 unadvertised credit, according to CarsDirect. A year ago, the best offer was 2.9% APR financing for 60 months with no credit. The difference in financing offers equates to a monthly payment $283 lower than in August 2019.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone doing Ford Options? bmw-i3_100731137_l
2020 BMW i3

Jaguar has been fairly aggressive with incentives for the I-Pace, using discounts to target Tesla owners. Some extensive changes to the I-Pace are also on the way for the 2021 model year, but the revamped version isn't here yet.

On the leasing side, the Chevrolet Bolt EV is a good deal. General Motors no longer qualifies for the full federal EV tax credit, but nationally its finance arm is currently offering $7,250 in savings on Bolt EV leases.

Regional deals can be even better. In San Francisco, the base LT trim level is available to lease at $199 a month for 36 months, with $1,599 down, when coming from another lease. That works out to an effective monthly cost of $243, or $7 less than a Honda Fit EX despite the Bolt EV's $18,000-higher base price, according to CarsDirect.

Leasing are often subsidized and can help soften the steep depreciation with some creative math. Non-Tesla electric cars generally lose value faster than comparable internal-combustion models, although they seem to have adjusted upward slightly over the past couple of years.
Are we enough of a "captive audience" at the launch of the Mach E that Ford is worried about this? I know several have said if the lease terms don't come through better than the options program, they will walk away, but still makes me wonder if they are a true minority.