Anyone notice performance decrease w 4-5 passengers?

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Hi all,

No one in the car was "small". 2021 Select AWD. Since I basically use this as a commute car, and if there is a passenger, it's typically my gf, I have never really noticed this. But, going up a hill with 3 passengers, my car didn't feel quite as fast. It makes sense, more weight, less performance, but it was pretty noticable with 4 people in the car. I swear it wasn't just in my head. Anyone else experience something similar to this?
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Lol, physics is a bitch isn't it?

When I was in college, I used to drive my 3 buddies home in my Ford Contour with only 125 HP. Fully loaded was VERY NOTICEABLE in that car, going up the on-ramp loaded was always a nerve-racking full throttle exercise to hit 70 MPH by the end and merge. When it was just me I never had to floor it. Fully loaded was about a 30% mass increase in that car. The Mach-E is much heavier so 4 adults would only be about 15% increase in mass, which you still might notice, especially accelerating up a hill.

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
Yep, stands to reason.

I gave a ride to a colleague from work, he's probably 6'4" and I dunno, 250#? Stocky. He was definitely impressed with the acceleration but I was thinking to myself, hmmm... definitely not as quick as when it's just me or me and my wife.

OP
OP

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Lol, physics is a bitch isn't it?

When I was in college, I used to drive my 3 buddies home in my Ford Contour with only 125 HP. Fully loaded was VERY NOTICEABLE in that car, going up the on-ramp loaded was always a nerve-racking full throttle exercise to hit 70 MPH by the end and merge. When it was just me I never had to floor it. Fully loaded was about a 30% mass increase in that car. The Mach-E is much heavier so 4 adults would only be about 15% increase in mass, which you still might notice, especially accelerating up a hill.
Totally agree what you say about physics, and, ummmm, not to be rude to the occupants, but I don't think my load was 15 percent, probably more like 20, lol

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Totally agree what you say about physics, and, ummmm, not to be rude to the occupants, but I don't think my load was 15 percent, probably more like 20, lol
I notice it too, it feels more sluggish with any passenger. Although I am not sure how much or if ever I WOT other cars when I have passengers, it may be that noticeable on any car, its just we floor the Mach-E more than other cars!

ocr_salty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
But just think how much LESS sluggish it feels than the equivalent ICE car that doesn't have the benefit of the 'instant torque' of the electric motor. My petrol car was terribly heavy with me plus 3 passengers, even more so with a full tank of fuel and the boot full of stuff to go on holiday! Good job a full tank in the MME weighs nothing!

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Yes, but the suspension is much better with the extra weight (no joke)

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I really notice a drop off when I have 10 80-pound sacks of concrete in the trunk. I thought maybe I was bleeding electrons from the holes where the trunk floor supports ripped out...

;-)

jbooth

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit, Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
"It's worse than that it's physics, Jim!"

Notice in the mustang, yes, but a lot less than lighter weight/lower power cars. I've driven the fit with a "full load" (wife got probably 50 gallons of compost, in 5 gal buckets) and it is glacial. Also almost certainly at or a touch above the load limit. I was trying to take it easy, but that was not difficult as the car was not capable of anything beyond "easy" at that point.

But the fit weighs in a bit under 3k (+850lb max load), not like my er/awd at just under 5k (+918lb max load). Those +Xlb max loads may as well be the same compared to how different the vehicular mass is.

Note: your select you may have more max load since I didn't think those came with the er pack as an option and batteries are heavy. On the other hand, Ford may have stuck the same tire pressure/load limit sticker on them anyway.
Sponsored