Anyone using a routing app that shows status of charging station?

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
I just took my first long range toad trip where i needed to use a fast charger and found the process of locating an available charger from the road clunkier than it should have been. Luckily we planned the route ahead of time but when we got to the Walmart 2 miles off the highway all 4 of the the chargers were occupied. We got lucky and someone left shortly after we got there but had they not that would have been miles out of the way for nothing.

I know ABRP can show charger status on the paid version but I don’t do long trips more than a couple times a year so $50/year for something I may use twice? The built in MachE maps doesn’t do this either. It seems like it should be a basic feature on EV routing apps, especially the built in routing map. We could really use a better app that provides more status details. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Last edited:

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I know ABRP can do this on the paid version but I don’t do long trips more than a couple times a year so $50 for something I may use twice? The built in MachE maps doesn’t do this. It seems like it should be a basic feature. I tried using the built in app to find a charger recently and when I got there it was in a garage that required a fee just to enter. We could really use a better app that provides more status details. Any suggestions?
FordPass does. EA app does. ChargePoint app does. PlugShare has comments and tips too.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone using a routing app that shows status of charging station? 126DD00E-F072-4C82-904C-1BB24DBD8472

Onboard navigation does too with 1.7.1 OTA. Put in a route, click on the charging stop, hit details.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone using a routing app that shows status of charging station? 89BC1683-0389-41BB-9144-651A5AFAF0E6

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone using a routing app that shows status of charging station? 01979D6B-7595-4DC2-BEF2-EB455CE00421

Last edited:

veronicablack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
I know ABRP can do this on the paid version but I don’t do long trips more than a couple times a year so $50 for something I may use twice? The built in MachE maps doesn’t do this. It seems like it should be a basic feature. I tried using the built in app to find a charger recently and when I got there it was in a garage that required a fee just to enter. We could really use a better app that provides more status details. Any suggestions?
I'm assuming ideally you're looking for something free (and also note: I don't have my Mach E yet and have never owned an EV before so I haven't used these planners yet), but I know ABRP Premium also offers a monthly plan for like 5 bucks a month or something. So maybe signing up for that when you do the road trips and then cancel at the end of the month could be an option to look into.

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FordPass does. EA app does. ChargePoint app does. PlugShare has comments and tips too.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone using a routing app that shows status of charging station? 01979D6B-7595-4DC2-BEF2-EB455CE00421

Onboard navigation does too with 1.7.1 OTA. Put in a route, click on the charging stop, hit details.

ill have to check to see what update I have. The ford pass app doesn’t allow you to plan a round trip which is what I needed to do yesterday. ABRP does but couldn't get the station status with the free version. Charge point isnt much use in this area if you need a fast charger, they are all level 2’s.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ill have to check to see what update I have. The ford pass app doesn’t allow you to plan a round trip which is what I needed to do yesterday. ABRP does but couldn't get the station status with the free version. Charge point isnt much use in this area if you need a fast charger, they are all level 2’s.
Free version of ABRP does show the station status.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone using a routing app that shows status of charging station? DFEDEE1B-C191-46D6-89E2-2291586D9A54

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Free version of ABRP does show the station status.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone using a routing app that shows status of charging station? DFEDEE1B-C191-46D6-89E2-2291586D9A54
What I wanted to know is whether the station is available for use. Isn't that just telling you whether its functional or not?

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm assuming ideally you're looking for something free (and also note: I don't have my Mach E yet and have never owned an EV before so I haven't used these planners yet), but I know ABRP Premium also offers a monthly plan for like 5 bucks a month or something. So maybe signing up for that when you do the road trips and then cancel at the end of the month could be an option to look into.
Thanks, Thats right. Not a bad idea.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
What I wanted to know is whether the station is available for use. Isn't that just telling you whether its functional or not?
As @hybrid2bev showed through screenshots earlier in this discussion, you can see in-use status in a bunch of ways.

Try using PlugShare, the built in Ford navigation in your vehicle, FordPass on your phone, or the apps from the various charge providers (ChargePoint, EA, etc.).

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah, okay. The onboard navigation or the fee EA app or FordPass might be what you’re after.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone using a routing app that shows status of charging station? ED7272D4-67D2-4D58-9212-DD8B5806C945

EA
Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone using a routing app that shows status of charging station? 78252DDB-284F-45D4-8659-ECE3E23A15A9

FordPass
Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone using a routing app that shows status of charging station? E7A0DD26-7C78-43E4-897B-DFA576404C15

Last edited:
OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It looks like I don't have the latest update. I had set it up for autoupdates and connected it to wifi but somewhere along the line it lost connection. I reconnected it. I'll have to see if the system updates in the next day or two.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone using a routing app that shows status of charging station? IMG_5467
Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone using a routing app that shows status of charging station? IMG_5466

Last edited:

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Look at the screenshot. See the blue segments? In this case two of them on each charger. They indicate the number of plugs on that charger. If they're blue, they are available. If grey, they're in use. Very subtle and not exactly intuitive but it is what it is.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone using a routing app that shows status of charging station? Screenshot 2021-10-11 082911

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
It looks like I don't have the latest update. I had set it up for autoupdates and connected it to wifi but somewhere along the line it lost connection. I reconnected it. I'll have to see if the system updates in the next day or two.
IMG_5467.jpg
After reading this, I went out to my Mach-e and found it was not connected to my Wi-Fi when at home. Probably happened after the dealer update done to fix PaaK back in August. D'oh! Mine just says, "system is up-to-date" but no recent update information. Reconnected to my network so maybe now I will get an update notification sometime this week. Autoupdate is turned on.

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
After reading this, I went out to my Mach-e and found it was not connected to my Wi-Fi when at home. Probably happened after the dealer update done to fix PaaK back in August. D'oh! Mine just says, "system is up-to-date" but no recent update information. Reconnected to my network so maybe now I will get an update notification sometime this week. Autoupdate is turned on.
I did the same thing. Then I noticed I didn't have a day of the week set for the updates. Not sure if that is necessary or not but I set it for Monday nights. We'll see what happens

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
I did the same thing. Then I noticed I didn't have a day of the week set for the updates. Not sure if that is necessary or not but I set it for Monday nights. We'll see what happens
Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to matter what schedule you set. ?‍♂
Sponsored