Apple MagSafe Passenger side charging mat

acosmichippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Select Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
Hey, checking in to see if you wouldn't mind commenting on how you feel the mat holds the phone and if it is better this way? Does it still slide a lot?
remember the idea here is to use magsafe, so your phone shouldn’t slide at all.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
remember the idea here is to use magsafe, so your phone shouldn’t slide at all.
Well, yeah, if you're happy with putting your phone on the passenger side.
There's usually two of us in the car and I designed this with the passenger in mind.
Some have asked for a two MagSafe charger version, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to put something metal, let alone a MagSafe charger over top of the stock charger on the driver's side, either.

acosmichippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Select Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
oh i thought that was the whole point. i don’t see why it would be an issue.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
FYI it looks like the charging pad underneath the mat is aligned differently on the 2023 models. It’s at an angle now instead on straight like the older 21 and 22 versions. If you have a ‘21 or ‘22, do not use the 2023 mat, because the phone will be misaligned worse and it will get even hotter.

You want the phone aligned with the charging pad underneath as closely as possible to minimize heat generation.

That’s begs the question of whether the 2023 OEM charging pad is improved, and worth retrofitting

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
FYI it looks like the charging pad underneath the mat is aligned differently on the 2023 models. It’s at an angle now instead on straight like the older 21 and 22 versions. If you have a ‘21 or ‘22, do not use the 2023 mat, because the phone will be misaligned worse and it will get even hotter.

You want the phone aligned with the charging pad underneath as closely as possible to minimize heat generation.

That’s begs the question of whether the 2023 OEM charging pad is improved, and worth retrofitting
I didn't even check. LOL Thanks for mentioning it!

I now have an idea for a universal MagSafe charging mat, which can be made to work by elevating the MagSafe slightly to allow a phone on the driver's side to slightly slip underneath the phone on the passenger side.

Might not work in practice, but it's an idea. If I could work out how to route two cables I could potentially have a dual / left + right MagSafe design, but then there would have to be a USB-C to USB-A adapter on one of them. :-/

So many possibilities. LOL