markmck

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I've had my Infinite Blue Premium AWD ER Mach-E for about a month now. Overall, I've been very impressed and happy with the vehicle.

My biggest frustration has been the audio. I'm not an audiophile, but I think I'm more sensitive to good or bad quality audio than the average listener.

I expected the quality of the B&O system to be above average compared with other vehicles I've had in the past. That hasn't been my experience, at least so far.

I don't understand why stereo audio would have a stereo and surround setting. If surround mode is attempting to produce 5.1 audio from a stereo source, it doesn't seem to be doing that good of a job. Whenever I switch to surround mode it seems like 90% of all the audio emanates from the center speaker in the dash. So, I've kept it on stereo mode. If this was my biggest complaint, I'd be fine, and I wouldn't be posting.

The problem that I need to do something about is whenever listening to music there is a high pitched, shrill, tinny-like ringing buzz. I have the same issue no matter the music source... I've tried Apple CarPlay, SiriusXM, and FM Radio. The ringing exists in both stereo and surround modes. The noise can be heard more clearly if I turn the treble up all the way and turn down midrange and bass.

I've read the threads about the mechanical whine from the display. It's not that, if I turn the music off the sound goes away. If I turn the volume up or down the noise gets louder or quieter along with the music. I've never had this sound issue in any previous or current vehicle we have owned (I really don't believe it's just me). I'm going to have a couple people listen over the weekend to make sure other people can hear it as well.

I've have two questions for everyone:

1. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. I'm worried that I take the vehicle back to the dealer and either they can't hear the sound, or at least won't admit to there being a problem. What would my next course of action be? (Trying to get my ducks in a row ahead of time.)

Thanks for everyone's help and advice in advance!
Sponsored

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Wait! If you crank the treble all the way up it makes a high pitched ring? That’s suspicious. ?

Honest question, if you are (as you claim) “…more sensitive to good or bad quality audio than the average listener”, why in the hell would you turn the treble all the way up, and the bass and midrange all the way down?

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
don't have that problem. system sound is just ok, but no treble whine

OP
OP

markmck

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Wait! If you crank the treble all the way up it makes a high pitched ring? That’s suspicious. ?

Honest question, if you are (as you claim) “…more sensitive to good or bad quality audio than the average listener”, why in the hell would you turn the treble all the way up, and the bass and midrange all the way down?
Good question... The sound is there all the time, not just when the treble is turned all the way up. Those aren't the settings used when I listen to music... I did that while trying to troubleshoot the sound.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
Only issue I have is the buzz from IPC. Makes it feel like a cheap 10k dollar car.

No other buzzes I can hear

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Your next step would likely be to put a filter on the power to the amp to block the inverter noise. How or where to do that in this system, I have no idea.

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Just in case, have you checked with different audio sources?

OP
OP

markmck

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Just in case, have you checked with different audio sources?
Yes, SiriusXM, FM, Bluetooth Audio, and Apple CarPlay... makes no difference.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Seems like you may have a defective amplifier somewhere. It will be difficult to troubleshoot without intimate knowledge of the audio system layout. I'd go ask the service manager to sit in the car with you and listen so you can point it out. I also recommend NOT demonstrating by "turning the treble up all the way" as you want to demonstrate there is an issue under normal conditions. They will likely have to order a replacement amplifier for the high frequency or front channel, depending on the system topology.

As to your comment about stereo VS surround, if the majority of the audio comes from the "center channel" or front sound bar when in surround mode, then the setting is working properly as that is as designed. Surround is primarily for film soundtracks. If you don't like the effect don't use it. :)

Dnorwood98

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Gray AWD Ext Range
Occupation
Education/Healthcare
Country flag
I remember reading that a few people had to have the dealership do an update to the audio system.

carbonizedbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2017 Outback, 2010 Jetta
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
What you describe does not sound normal for this system.

Have you set the balance and fader to the four (five in surround?) extremes to see it's present on all channels or just one/some?

Is the sound roughly the same volume independent of the source level? (quiet vs. loud parts of a recording)

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Yes, SiriusXM, FM, Bluetooth Audio, and Apple CarPlay... makes no difference.
Is it there if there is no sound sourced, a dead space in conversation on a podcast for instance?

OP
OP

markmck

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium AWD ER
Country flag
As to your comment about stereo VS surround, if the majority of the audio comes from the "center channel" or front sound bar when in surround mode, then the setting is working properly as that is as designed. Surround is primarily for film soundtracks. If you don't like the effect don't use it. :)
In a surround sound setup I would expect mostly vocals be coming from the center channel, not instruments... right?

I'm not a fan of the surround setup, and I don't use it (even I can figure that out on my own). I'm looking for more information regarding what Ford's implementation of "surround" means. I can't believe it's for listening to film soundtracks while driving.

That is, unless it's in support of an upcoming OTA update which adds Netflix while charging I don't understand when it would be used. They couldn't have added a 'surround' mode so that 90% of the sound comes from 1 speaker. If no one else's system works like that, then I'll assume this is another symptom of whatever is going on. Again, just trying to gather information trying to figure out what is wrong.

OP
OP

markmck

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Is it there if there is no sound sourced, a dead space in conversation on a podcast for instance?
You can't hear the noise during a podcast, it seems to be fine for vocals. It seems to be an issue reproducing sound (music) at a higher frequency.

OP
OP

markmck

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium AWD ER
Country flag
What you describe does not sound normal for this system.

Have you set the balance and fader to the four (five in surround?) extremes to see it's present on all channels or just one/some?

Is the sound roughly the same volume independent of the source level? (quiet vs. loud parts of a recording)
The noise fluctuates during the quiet vs. loud parts of a recording.

During the quiet part of a song you don't hear it at all. It's not constant throughout a song, it's more intense during louder portions of a recording.
Sponsored