Axle clunk

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
I'll make an appointment. It's been doing it since new (car was built April 2022). I'll explain exactly what I'm experiencing:
When wheel is turned full left or right, usually when backing up, there's a loud clunk accompanied by a noticeable jerk in the front end of the car. It always felt like the tires losing traction and shifting because you feel the "BOING" with the jerk. The parking lot I was in today was wet from rain and the jerk was so intense I thought I backed into somebody. Also see this backing out of my driveway when one of the front wheels contacts a metal sewer cover and when making a sharp turn (left or right) into a parking lot that is angled up from the street. Is that what you all are experiencing as well? Was going to wait until the remedy was available for the recall but after today may just bring it in. Replacing the tires Tuesday so be interesting to see if there's a change.
I know exactly what you’re talking about. Happens on my 23 GTPE as well, I’m pretty sure it’s related to tires and traction though. When it rains it happens a lot more and it’s louder. I’ve yet to test it with traction control off to see if it’s the ABS system clunking.
Sponsored

wkf94025

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350s, F450, 911 Turbo, 911 GT3, M2 Halftrack
Occupation
real estate
Country flag
That's the way to do it!
Thanks for your guidance Mark.

BTW, my build date is later than the date range described in the Ford write-up on this problem.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I took my 2022 Mach-E GTPE in to my local Ford dealer for the first time, ~14,000 miles. Axle clunk on both sides, forward and backward, was getting noticeably worse. After dealership having the car for a couple days, doing the HVBJB recall service, and rotating the tires, my service contact said "tech and I can't recreate the clunking on several test drives". So I drove over there, got the mechanic in shotgun, and quickly demonstrated the problem. He quickly acknowledged the problem. Both front half-axles are now being replaced. I will be shocked if they suggest other than full warranty coverage.
What is the easiest way to replicate it for techs? Or did they possibly not even attempt to replicate it?

wkf94025

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
real estate
Country flag
What is the easiest way to replicate it for techs? Or did they possibly not even attempt to replicate it?
In the case of my Mach-E, it's fairly easy to replicate by full turning of the steering wheel left or right, particularly when entering / exiting a driveway curb cut (elevation change). It only happens at low speed tight turns. I've experienced going forward and backward, left and right. The day they first tried to replicate it the roads were wet and rainy, and I theorized to tech that reduced friction of wet roads may have made it harder for him to replicate. Nonetheless, I was able to quickly demonstrate it to him a dozen times in 10 minutes of local driving. I'm not sure how hard they tried to replicate it before I took over the demo ride.

Axles arriving Monday for full replacement both sides.

jmatero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT-P
Country flag
Interesting... replaced my tires with Pirelli PZero AS Elec yesterday and the issue is gone.

wkf94025

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
real estate
Country flag
I am extremely skeptical that the axle clunk I was experiencing is a function of tires. Not saying yours isn't, just saying mine strikes me as a clear mechanical flaw in the CV joint functionality.

jmatero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT-P
Country flag
I am extremely skeptical that the axle clunk I was experiencing is a function of tires. Not saying yours isn't, just saying mine strikes me as a clear mechanical flaw in the CV joint functionality.
Have to tell you, no more clunking/banging. First time since I took delivery 7/2022.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Thank you for the post. Got mine corrected yesterday before the 3y warranty is up in March. But they only replaced one side. I will see if I can replicate on the driver side now.
Do you guys believe that axle should be painted to prevent corrosion? Or that has nothing to do with the issue? Thanks all.

jmatero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT-P
Country flag
I know exactly what you’re talking about. Happens on my 23 GTPE as well, I’m pretty sure it’s related to tires and traction though. When it rains it happens a lot more and it’s louder. I’ve yet to test it with traction control off to see if it’s the ABS system clunking.
it is the tires. Just replaced with the Pirelli all seasons and not a single sound.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Thank you for the post. Got mine corrected yesterday before the 3y warranty is up in March. But they only replaced one side. I will see if I can replicate on the driver side now.
Do you guys believe that axle should be painted to prevent corrosion? Or that has nothing to do with the issue? Thanks all.
They are designed to get a little rust, which is normal. Nothing to worry about.

CopperRobot

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
Corrosion definitely NOT an issue here. Warranty at Ford seems to only approve one at a time. Tech said they nearly all come back for other side to be replaced. I hadn't even gotten off dealer property after first was replaced, and it made noise still.

Both replaced, no noise so far.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Corrosion definitely NOT an issue here. Warranty at Ford seems to only approve one at a time. Tech said they nearly all come back for other side to be replaced. I hadn't even gotten off dealer property after first was replaced, and it made noise still.

Both replaced, no noise so far.
Thank you for the information. I’m 2 months away for my 3 years, so no warranty after that. I will check if the noise comes back on the other side in time.

23skidoo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I am having this problem, took it to the one Ford dealer that services EV's in my area, they are ordering both sides right away since the tech says it's impossible to reproduce without load on the suspension, and he can't diagnose which side is bad for sure with the car on the ground. Sounds like Ford will pay for both sides out of the TSB anyway so, happy they are going straight to the best solution.

We have already discussed and will schedule the HVBJB replacement after this is complete. So far so good with this dealership... I am starting to dream about being able to enable the legendary remote frunk release...

2021 Job 1 Premium ER AWD 15k miles.
Sponsored