Backup Start Code doesn't work without connectivity?

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
As I wrote here, PaaK doesn't always work as intended, so having the backup entry code and backup start code is important. My wife took my son to a park with pretty poor connectivity and I think the app froze, so she wasn't able to unlock the car. Not a problem, she knew the entry code and the start code. Except the start code didn't work. She tried a few times and eventually got locked out. Since she didn't have cell service either, she couldn't call me either, which put her in a pretty precarious situation.

I'll have to ask her how she ended up getting the car started (maybe she used my code after she finally was able to call me or the app unfroze), but has anyone else tried to start the car with the start code without cell service? What I mean is in an area where the car cannot talk to the Ford servers either. Is the start code stored in the on-board computer? Makes me nervous to go anywhere without the key.
Sponsored

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
As I wrote here, PaaK doesn't always work as intended, so having the backup entry code and backup start code is important. My wife took my son to a park with pretty poor connectivity and I think the app froze, so she wasn't able to unlock the car. Not a problem, she knew the entry code and the start code. Except the start code didn't work. She tried a few times and eventually got locked out. Since she didn't have cell service either, she couldn't call me either, which put her in a pretty precarious situation.

I'll have to ask her how she ended up getting the car started (maybe she used my code after she finally was able to call me or the app unfroze), but has anyone else tried to start the car with the start code without cell service? What I mean is in an area where the car cannot talk to the Ford servers either. Is the start code stored in the on-board computer? Makes me nervous to go anywhere without the key.
The keyboards starts out as capitalized. If you password doesn't start with a capital letter, you have to hit the shift key first. Could that be the issue?

OP
OP

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
The keyboards starts out as capitalized. If you password doesn't start with a capital letter, you have to hit the shift key first. Could that be the issue?
Yeah, no, she knew that, but I'll test it again later to be sure. But thanks for the suggestion :)

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, no, she knew that, but I'll test it again later to be sure. But thanks for the suggestion :)
I've had to enter it quite a few times, and never had an issue. I've probably had good cell service though.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I think the answer is you don't need to be connected, but the best way to know for sure would be to ask Ford. The people there should be able to give you a definitive answer.

My guess is she made a mistake when entering the password. Easy to do. FWIW I never knew the default was all caps, so this was new to me.

OP
OP

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Thanks @cmtaylor963 and @DBC . I tried again tonight and found that the code didn't work. I think what happened is that having both PaaKs on the same FordPass account actually confused the car and the backup start code I created overwrote hers. I do hope they fix the PaaK soon.

SPatil

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustand Mach EV 2020
Occupation
retired
Country flag
That got me also.
Sponsored