Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Shadow Black Mach-e GT, 2018 Camaro SS
Occupation
Not a paid assassin!
Country flag
It might just be me, but I feel like the rear brake calipers on the GT look so pathetic and small. They look completely out of place on a performance vehicle, specially compared to the big Brembo's in the front.

I don't know much about brake sizes, but I'm wondering if you can buy a front set of calipers and add them to the back for some symmetry.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
First, you never want break calipers on any vehicle...

No, you can't simply mount the front calipers on the rear. Looks aren't how the brakes are sized.

OP
OP
Ninja4hire

Ninja4hire

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Not a paid assassin!
Country flag
lol spell check. Also yeah I realize looks aren't how they are sized, but thanks :)

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
It might just be me, but I feel like the rear brake calipers on the GT look so pathetic and small. They look completely out of place on a performance vehicle, specially compared to the big Brembo's in the front.

I don't know much about brake sizes, but I'm wondering if you can buy a front set of calipers and add them to the back for some symmetry.
No, you can’t without extensively modifying your car.
The rear sliding calipers don’t look as nice as the front fixed calipers but Ford sized them appropriately for the task. Even track work probably won’t faze them as the rotor diameter and thickness is still generous and the OEM pad material seems fairly aggressive. Plus, the front brakes perform the majority of the stopping job due to weight transfer.

Btw, there are $200K + cars that’ll do near 200mph that have sliding rear calipers. Case in point, AMG GT coupe:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Bigger Rear Brake Calipers 5920FD94-B925-45E4-945C-77683DC60C6C

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
lol spell check. Also yeah I realize looks aren't how they are sized, but thanks :)
It is a system with the caliper, caliper bracket, rotor, hub, etc. And even in performance cars, your rear shouldn’t be more than 33%- 43% of your stopping power. That gets into a whole other discussion on suspension geometry, weight distribution, and drivetrain configuration (FW, RW, or AWD). Basically the back brakes are there to keep the car tracking properly (skidding, rollover, etc) and complete the traction control system where available. I typically put the same size rotor front and back on my hot rods/race cars, then adjust the bias with proportioning valves. Waste of money, but achieves the “looks” factor you were mentioning and helps a bit when you get high heat brake fade on the fronts. My ‘66 has a Wilwood remote proportioning valve in the car for this purpose.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I'd prefer to get vented rotors in the rear rather than a prettier caliper. 😕🤷‍♂️🐩

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

The front wheels provide more than half the braking so the hardware is sized appropriately in my opinion. I think you might just try getting used to it. Fairly normal for the rears to be smaller since they don't do nearly as much work as the fronts.

20220331_083505.jpg

20220331_083602.jpg

Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
Buy and install aero wheels?

Then you can’t see the brakes at all.

OP
OP
Ninja4hire

Ninja4hire

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Not a paid assassin!
Country flag
I don't necessarily have an issue with the rears being a different size than the front, although they do look fairy small to me. I guess my main problem is that they look so cheap. I just wish they looked a little more substantial. I'm sure they do their job just fine. Anyway, its just a personal preference. Thanks for the good info about brakes in this thread through.
Sponsored